milnapricin phase 3 studies

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by bpmwriter, Sep 27, 2005.

1. bpmwriter

bpmwriter New Member

hi all,

read some posts by a few folks on milnapricin. is it worth washing out (quitting) my current meds to give it a try? they're doing phase 3 trials at arthritis center here in west central florida. the only thing that concerns me is i might get a placebo (1/3 get placebo) in which case i'd be mighty disappointed.

also, does it provide any anxiety relief in addition to the pain relief??

eddie
    [This Message was Edited on 09/27/2005]
    [This Message was Edited on 09/27/2005]
  2. hurts2003

hurts2003 New Member

I don't know anything about Milnapricin but I 'm going on a trial for cymbalta as soon as i can get off my current meds.(effexor & trazodone) I ask them the same question about what if i get the placebo, they told me if the med didn't work for me i could quit at any time. My reg dr. told me if that was the case and i got the placebo to come back to him and he would give me the real thing and see how it does.

maybe you could talk to your dr. about doing the same for you.[This Message was Edited on 09/27/2005]
  3. snooker11

snooker11 New Member

i dunno. i heard that all these new SNRI's (i.e Cymbalta, Milnacipran) basically do the same thing as taking an SSRI and a low dose of the norepinephrine reuptake drugs like the tricyclics (i.e Elavil, Pamelor). But I guess whatever works....

might be best to talk to a psychiatrist about this - they know a lot about the neurotransmitter drugs.

4. bpmwriter

bpmwriter New Member

i didn't even realize that milnapricin was an SNRI! the SNRIs sort of scare due to what i've heard about effexor withdrawal. i've also heard of people having adverse reactions to cymbalta. at the same time, i respond very well to lexapro (ssri); i wonder if milnapricin would provide all the benefits + pain relief?! hmm, i'll have to give this some more thought.

eddie
  5. proteinlady

proteinlady New Member

Milnapricin, effexor and cymbalta are all selective serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors but there is a significant difference. For both cymbalta and effexor the ratio between serotonin and norepi is 30:1. For malnapricin the ratio between serotonin and norepi is 1:1. Of the three, malnapricin is the only one that has a 1:1 balance between the neurotransmitters.
  6. bpmwriter

bpmwriter New Member

thanks for the info! what does the 30:1 vs. 1:1 ratio translate to when it comes to potential side effects, efficacy, etc.??

eddie
  7. snooker11

snooker11 New Member

Milnacipran has more norephinephrine reuptake than the other SNRI's. I think side effects vary for each person. They have used this drug for a long time abroad, and I think it has a similar efficacy rate for fibro as taking an SSRI plus an old tricyclic drug (i.e Elavil and Pamelor). Which is a little bit, but still very ineffectual.

I really doubt Milnacipran is the Wonder Drug. I think there is a lot of marketing hype going on, and that you can get a lot of the same effects of Milnacipran by using the SSRI and tricyclic combination.