Minature Schnauzer seriously ill.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by joyfully, Sep 21, 2007.

1. joyfully

joyfully New Member

Our minature schnauzer is gravely ill. The doctor thinks she either ate blood thinning medicine (don't have that in my home), or is having some kooky reaction to antibiotics, or has ingested alot of rat poison.

She is bleeding under her skin and running 104 temperature. She doesn't want to eat or drink. I'm just wiped out. Between my cancer surgery, my hubby on a business trip, the dog vomiting---and now this internal bleeding and 104 temperature----- I hope I make it till tomorrow morning.

I'm supposed to take the dog back to the vets tomorrow morning to see if the platelet count is going back up. if not, then we will begin a month of vitamin K. I've spent approximately $1,000 in the past 3 weeks at the vet! I don't mind the $, I love that little dog dearly. I broke down in the vet's office late this afternoon when I went to pick her up when the vet told me how gravely sick the dog is. Oh darn, now I'm starting to cry again.

She is so ill that I'm very concerned about her. I just wish she could tell us where she is hurting and what she ate!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've actually been putting the ice blocks that are encased in plastic on her body to lower her temperature. I've tried to coax her to drink some water. I end up cupping the water in my hand and try to coax her to drink some of it. She is continuing on the 2nd type of antibiotics and started prednisone today.

does Vitamin K come in a pill, or is it with injections???

Does anyone know??? Has anyone else gone through this with their dog??? I don't want her to die.
  2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

hear the bad news, Joy. It's so frustrating when our kids or pets are sick, and we can't do much.

Wishing for the best.

3. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I'm so sorry to hear about your sick pooch and all you've been through lately.

I'm sorry I can't be more helpful, just offering support.

Nancy B
  4. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

How awful for you. I can't imagine and I don't know how you are coping. I don't know what to say except that you are doing more than many completely healthy people would do.

You are being so loving, so kind and so responsible. You are doing everything you can do. You're being quite amazing.

Holding a good though for you and yours.

5. cheryl888881

cheryl888881 New Member

I am so sorry to hear about your dog. I know how much she means to you. I have two toy poodles and don't know what i would do without them. They keep me going. I hope that she is doing better this AM. Is there not a vet hospital she can stay at for a few days so they can keep an eye on her around the clock?

I hope that she is doing better and that you are holding up. Will pray for strength for you.

Gentle Hugs,

6. ckball

ckball New Member

I am so sorry to hear about your budddy. I know how hard it is to feel so helpless. Just scoop her up in your arms and tell her everything will be ok,then beleive it with all your heart.

I will pray for both of us-Carla
  7. joyfully

joyfully New Member

She is gravely ill. They hooked her back up to IVs and are keeping her there for the entire weekend. Her platlet count has not gone up. This is not good. The vet told me he thinks she is starting to get better even though her blood work doesn't reflect that.

I miss her terribly. She is spoiled rotten, RUNS my household, is terribly mischievous, and gets into everything. Every day is the same routine with her. I get undressed to get into the bathtub. My dirty clothes are lying on the floor. She waits until I get settled into the whirlpool and goes on a hunting expedition through my dirty clothes to retrieve my socks.

Then, to make absolutely sure that I see her with my socks, she will come over to the tub and show them to me as she is holding them in her mouth. Then out the bathroom door she goes hopping like a rabbit. She makes a nest with my socks and her toys in the family room. She sits in the middle of this "nest" and waits for me to get out of the tub. She is such a character.

I'm really hoping that she makes it. Oh darn, now I've started crying again.

I haven't had enough sleep. I ended up sleeping on the carpeted floor next to her last night. I changed the position of the ice block every 10 to 15 minutes on her body. She was so ill that she didn't even protest.

She is bleeding under her skin really bad yet from the very low platlet count. The whites of her eyes are all blood shot. Her skin is a scary shade of red from all the blood under the surface. She is fighting for her life.
  8. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

I have a great little dog, too. I can't tell you how sorry I am that you have to go through this. Please know that you are doing such a great job of caring for your great little dog!

Now, you need sleep! You desperately need sleep!

Thinking good thoughts!

[This Message was Edited on 09/22/2007]
  9. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Please get some sleep and start taking care of yourself. This sounds like it's going to be a long, tough battle and she's going to need you.

I've been through a similarly grueling situation with a pet before and know how much this takes out of you, but PLEASE, while she's at the vet's office, get some rest!!!!!!!!!!

Nancy B
  10. laceymae

laceymae New Member

I hope your baby is doing better...I lost my 16 year-old furry baby two weeks ago. I had her mother and then her and I can tell you it is hard to watch them suffer.

You and your baby are in my prayers...
  11. cheryl888881

cheryl888881 New Member

I am so glad that they kept her at the vets office. That is the best place for her right now. I know that it is hard on you but she is in the best place. Now try to get some rest so that you will be able to care for her when she comes back home to you.

It is funny how they have their little routines just like we do. Mine seem to know my every move. They know the routine and they get so upset when it is changed even just a little bit. They run my household also, but my husband and I would not have it any other way. lol

Please, please take care of yourself and I am remembering you in my prayers.

Gentle Hugs,

12. joyfully

joyfully New Member

She is not doing well. Her fever finally broke. It was up to 105 degrees. She is refusing to eat. Evidently, the prednisone is not taking down the swelling. I don't know what I'm going to do if it comes down to putting her asleep.

I figured that if I die with this darn cancer, at least my hubby and son would have the munchkin to help lift their spirits.

I was hoping she would be able to come home today. The vet was very somber on the phone with us today. I'm afraid when the phone rings that it will be the vet again. OMG, I don't want her to die. I can handle alot, but I can't handle this. I'm just devastated.
  13. budmickl

budmickl New Member

I can honestly say I understand exactly what you are going through and what you are feeling. I am wrestling with the decision of putting down my furry baby.

This is probably the 3rd hardest decision a person makes in their life. And the one no one else except another pet owner understands.

This a prayer that was posted here on the chit chat board recently. I don't remember who posted it, and the poster didn't know who wrote it, but I want to repost it.

<b>A Prayer...

Miss Me, But let me Go...

When I come to the end of my road
    and the sun has set for me
    I want no rites in a gloom filled room
    Why cry for a soul set free?

Miss me for awhile
    but not for to long
    and not with your head to low
    Remember the love that we still share
    Miss me, but let me go

This is a journey that we all must take
    and we each must take alone
    it is all a part of the masters plan
    a step on the road back home

So, When you are lonely
    when you are sick at heart
    go to the friends we know
    and bury your sorrows in doing good deeds
    Miss me, but let me go... </b>

God bless you and you are in my thoughts and prayers.

14. joyfully

joyfully New Member

I miss her so much that I can hardly breathe. My arms ache for that little bundle of nonstop energy. She has been there through all of my cancer stuff. I've held her and just cried out my heart when I have gotten so scared with the cancer.

I've spent the day crying. One minute I get still and tell her in my thoughts that she can go if she no longer wants to fight to live. The next minute I'm sobbing and begging her to stay and fight. We have not seen her since Friday morning when she had taken a turn for the worse.

I don't know if I want her to die in her sleep tonight, or whether I want her to hang on and keep fighting. I want both. I just want her and need her. This isn't fair. I've gone through enough. She is only 1 1/2 years old.

Thank you for the poem. I sobbed while reading it. I just feel so helpless and confused. My heart feels as if it is just going to break in two.
  15. budmickl

budmickl New Member

I am hoping no news is good news...

You are still in my thoughts and prayers.