Mind fighting body?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by nerdieduckie, Oct 9, 2006.

1. nerdieduckie

nerdieduckie New Member

Anyone else have this?

I cannot sleep at night because my brain WON'T SHUT UP! >_<
    It goes and goes and goes, no matter what I do. I do end up eventually falling asleep, but usually after I've already been in bed for two hours.

This morning I woke up to use the restroom facilities after 5 hours of sleep or so, and never got back to sleep. I got tired of fighting my brain. I can feel my body is tired, I want to sleep really badly, but it just isn't happening.

So here I am, up at 7:26 AM EDT for the first time in a looooong time.
  2. If you think you can't shut off your mind from worrying or thinking of things yes I do all the time. Especially if I wake up in the middle of the night, I can't get back to sleep. It makes me mad too.
  3. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

okay - I am sure this sounds so not worth it - but give it a shot, if you do not already. I DO have to take Ambien at night and I find it is not nearly as effective as it once was.
    However, no matter what, I make myself a list every night of what needs to be done the next day. I try to think of everything (which isn't easy) like what I need to do household wise, what the kids need, what I need at the grocery store, business call, personal calls, etc.

Probably sounds like such a small thing, but I notice I have much better sleep when I do it. Otherwise, I will be up all night thinking of that stupide grocery list. etc, etc. MIND RACING and then I would be too tired the next day to remember or accomplish any of it.

I don't know, might be worth a try. It has helped me.

Best of Luck to you!
    Kim
  4. cymbeline

cymbeline New Member

I think i know just what you mean. You try so hard to make it be quiet and just when you think you have got it calm and silent you suddenly realise it has taken you off down another path of thought that you can't stop!
    I think that this is a big part of my difficulties as i can never achieve proper rest as my brain is always ticking over- however, for me at least, i don't attribute it to any psychiatric disorder although i'm sure it has links with how you lived your life as a child (doesn't everything in some way). Anyway what i mean is i don't think i'm nuts its just the result of living a very full and busy life and never taking the time to learn to relax, or even realising that i needed to do this and now it is really hard.
    I have been trying to learn to meditate- really hard as again i can't get my brain to stop- but i am told with practice you can train your mind to slow down.
    More practically i employ all the rules of sleep hygiene, which helps, i also avoid caffiene, sugar in evening but unlike carla i take calcium and magnesium at night which helps me sleep as does a cup of valerian tea an hour before bed. I try to do a breathing/relaxation exercise to calm my mind when i go to bed- sometimes it works and sometimes is better than never!
    Hope this helps i know how frustrating it can be
  5. nerdieduckie

nerdieduckie New Member

Hey thank you, wonderful suggestions from everyone :D

I did think about taking a notepad up with me to bed last night (I say up coz my bed is a loft) but I love to write so much I was afraid I'd be up all night without realizing it. Turns out I was anyway -_- So I may have to try that if it happens tonight.

I usually avoid most caffeine and things like that before bed. Usually the only things I have after 6 PM is dinner and water. Occasionally a small snack, because if I wake up in the middle of the night and I'm hungry -i'll never get back to sleep.

I'm already taking lyrica for sleep, but apparently it's not working, so my doctor gave us a prescription for klonopin but mum doesn't know enough about it yet, so she's going to call him monday (after payday). Also before I go to bed I take Theanine Serene, which is magnesium, GABA, Taurine, L-Theanine, and Holy basil leaf extract. It almost seems to have a negative effect though and wake me up more.

My brain doesn't tend to race during the day, fortunately, I just get distracted an awful lot :p

Should I just give in to sleep when my body wants to? Last night I had a very quick doze/snooze before dinner because I just couldn't do anything else unless I rested. Then I was sleepy around 9, but the way I take my pills, bedtime is 11...should I just forget all that and sleep?
    I did give in today...I wasn't going to do it, but I went back to bed around 9:30 and just now woke up, only because I had to.

Thanks again for all your wonderful posts, I was very excited to see I had replies when I got up :D
    Jen
  6. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

nerdieduckie:

I have tried many sleep meds and supplements. Now I have Restoril. It is very, very inexpensive, is a benzodiazepine and works like a charm.

nyrofan
  7. sisland

sisland New Member

Sleep problems are such a pain! I also take Restoril and it has worked really well for me ! about a hour before bedtime I take it and then I do some relaxtion stuff ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Like stretching and some deep breathing ! and that also helps!!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Goodluck to you! Hope you find a remedy that works!
  8. nerdieduckie

nerdieduckie New Member

I take the magnesium twice a day, so I already take it in the morning :p

I usually take it a half-hour before bed time because the effect only lasts for about 8 hours and if it wears off in my sleep I wake up feeling VERY paranoid.
  9. enjoysue

enjoysue New Member

I used to be the kind that needed complete silence when I went to bed but now I find that if I listen to my christian cd's at night I can get so much more relaxed and fall to sleep sooner and I don't think of anything but what lyrics are being sung. I also have to take Ambien for sleep but when that stops working I switch to temazepam for a bit and then back to ambien and all is well again. If I don't take a sleep aid I wake up after 2 hours and am ready to run a mile. If I don't get at least 5 hours of continuous sleep I am good for nothing.
    Would it help if you shared what is going on in your head with someone else? Or as someone suggested writing it down? Good luck!!
  10. nerdieduckie

nerdieduckie New Member

I just looked at the other thread about magnesium.

Carla-nl...I don't know for sure what a heart palpatation is, but my heart beats funny sometimes, like there's a twitch in my chest or something. It doesn't do it very often, but seems to happen more often at night. Could this be like you're saying?
  11. nerdieduckie

nerdieduckie New Member

b[This Message was Edited on 10/11/2006]