Mind numbing fatigue w/o pain, more energy w/pain, very puzzling

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lvjesus, Apr 19, 2006.

1. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

For the last 3 weeks I have had fatigue nearly every day like walking through wet cement. I normally have pain that is similar to a bruised feeling when you touch the spot and off and on pains like someone is pushing on a bruise without anyone touching me.

I also have hip and leg pain and pains in my lower back muscles - usually not too bad, only occasionally. I find it very odd that I did not have any of that pain while I was so zonked out. And it is not that I was just too tired to feel the pain either.

Night before last I decided to add an allergy pill to my nighttime meds to see it that would help. So yesterday, after the grogginess wore off (I will have to figure out what to do about that and it is why I don't like to take stuff to make me sleep) I did feel better, but the pains are coming back.

I prefer the pain since I can dose that, whereas I don't know what to do about the fatigue but I feel like it is an important thing and I just don't know what to make of it.

I could tell the doc, but... well, who knows what he would say, you know? I would love any theories, because I really don't have any but find it very facinating.

Sonya
  2. Dlebbole

Dlebbole New Member

Hi Sonya, this is a very interesting topic to me.

For most of my 20+ years with this illness, it has mostly been fatigue and weakness. But during treatment for cancer, (radiation in particular) it became PAIN. Now, a few years later, I find the two things sort of cycle. In general, when I have a flare of severe weakness, I have little pain. when I have pain, usually I have less fatigue. I'm sure it has to do with immune system modulation. Perhaps you have a virus that has shifted the balance of your immune system. Google Th1 vs. Th2 immunity. Diane
  3. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Sonya:
    I have a ton of pain each day, but very often it fatigues me to the point where I just can not move, so I nap. The rest helps me with the pain. The fatigue is just as debilitating because I find it hard to pull out of it: although I usually do, basically out of need.

Like you said, mentioning it to the doctor might not be a bad idea.

nyrofan
  4. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Gosh I am sorry you still have this going on. As I posted previously, I find when the pain diminishes I just do so much more then the fatigue steps in. Sort of opposite to your thing.

I also went off meds(I was taking only very low dose Amitryptiline) as I did find that although I slept great, I was fatigued the next day and felt jittery all the time.

Last night I bet I only slept 4 hrs on and off, yet for some reason I feel better today, no fatigue, just a slight headache. I feel like you, I would rather the pain than the fatigue.

This is weird as sleep is supposed to make one feel better!
    LOve Anne C
    [This Message was Edited on 04/20/2006]
  5. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

Diane, I will check that out and I thank you.

nyrofan, I too find that the constant pain will wear me out and I consider that a different kind of fatigue.

Of course we all know there are different kinds. There is the "I feel like I could lay down and sleep" kind and the "my body feels like lead" kind and the mind numbing "I feel like every move is made in wet cement and I can't go another step" kind.

This is new to me (at this a grand DD?, always something new and exciting - NOT!) so I found it an interesting topic.

sonya
  6. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

I share you feelings. I think I sleep great yet I know I did not rest like I should have because I feel no better when I get up than I did when I went to bed. GRRR!