Mini Survey about Anti-depressants Prescribed Immediately!!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by MKate, Dec 29, 2009.

1. MKate

MKate New Member

Hello all

I'm just curious - - after living with this illness for 16 years-- and becoming more and more certain of the organic nature of the initial cause (something viral that damaged the brain or circuitry).....yet no real way to prove it yet......!!

How many of you were prescribed ( and took) Anti - depressants BEFORE you became ill?

Just very curious.!!!!! I took them once in my life -- 3 months before I became ill. I've skimmed through the Prozac Backlash - book -and reading alot of the message boards - it makes me wonder....."how many ME/CFS patients were wrongly prescribed anti-depressants and a side effect is lowered immunity and some kind of negative effect on our brains.....etc????

Please tell me your stories!

2. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

yes, I tried many antidepressants, but they were yrs before I got sick - Way before getting CFS I had already determined that they do not work for me and do make me react VERY badly - had also gotten rid of my depression once I stopped taking them - I think that they actually made me depressed in the first place - was originally prescribed them for an eating disorder, not for depression and boom, suddenly I was super depressed

I have read that they can cause problems for the mitochondria which makes me wonder if they contributed somehow in that way.....however, there are so many things that could have contributed to my illness from yrs past it is hard to separate things (ranging from environmental toxins I was exposed to, to mercury to vaccinations to the ED itself, etc) (and now of course there is the possibility of XMRV playing into all that, too)

....what I do know is that overall I was very, very healthy (long recovered from the ED and the depression and running marathons, eating rt, etc) when I got sick with CFS...... However, in a short period of time, I was in a bad car accident, started grad school, was working, training for another marathon, trying to figure out how to live on student loans and little income, stressed over all that, & my grandmother died, and the result of all that was getting mono (while still recovering from post concussion syndrome from the accident) & I never recovered from that point on- just went into CFS (side note - now the income I was stressing about during school sounds so wonderful.....tells you how very little SSDI is paying)
    [This Message was Edited on 12/29/2009]
  3. MKate

MKate New Member

Hi Gals

Thank you for your stories. It is interesting. I'd love to see some research developed in this arena - because it is beginning to frighten me the amazing 1st reaction / prescription that doctor's have to any symptom is to prescribe Anti-depressants.

How many people are prescribed them (even when they are healthy and other alternatives may help a low eb or episode -- and perhaps the long-term side effect that hasn't been discovered yet is potential brain damage/immune dysfunction resulting in ME/CFS?

I just wonder! The overwhelming number of times doctors have told me that's the solution - even before I became sick ----- and how many people would not have become sick if they hadn't taken them. I don't know. I do know that it is epidemic how freely and readily they are prescribed -- with the doctor not needing to have any organic confirmation (because there isn't one yet) that the patients is depressed and / or will be helped and not damaged by anti-depressants.

More folks interested in this subject??? Please add your story. I'd love to see them!

4. loto

loto Member

antidepressents right after I had my second child, back in 93 because of Postnatal depression. wasn't on it long tho. Then, after I had back surgery in the early 00's, I went on Cymbalta for nerve pain I was still having. I've been on Cymbalta ever since, and if I remember correctly, I started feeling the pain and fatigue a couple of years after back surgery. Then, last year was diagnosed with FM.
    I have discovered recently, now that I'm taking Caltrate (calcium and vit d) regularly, that my mood has been much better! I'm not as down as I was a couple of months ago. And, since taking Caltrate my stomach feels so much better too.
  5. spacee

spacee Member

But interesting post. I have since taken them and they are very strong stuff.

I think mine was more along the line of mono/strep infections off and on that may have damaged my immune system...still think it is a retrovirus for me but think I could have fended it off if not for the twin did.

6. MKate

MKate New Member

your story is very interesting! So - I wonder are you still suffering with ME/CFS - or was it resolved with the vitamins...Or did the vitamins just help - but you still have ME/CFS?

7. Chelz

Chelz New Member

Yes, I was prescribed antidepressants BEFORE my illness was discovered. Two different docs gave me Elavil for pain and when I had to stop using that drug because of excessive weight gain, blurry vision, nausea and so many more side effects.................they gave me Paxil.
    I was also given Zoloft and Wellbutrin, both were bad.

Paxil was the worst, even more weight gain, hormone problems, flat feelings, I could go on and on. I have always said that my FM became so much worse after I took these drugs.

I remember telling my sister back in 2001 that I really believe that these drugs lowered my immunity, just like you said in your post, and that I have never been the same after taking these drugs for a few years.

When a doctor just doesn't know what he or she is up against with people who have FM, the complexities of this illness, they just give you antidepressants, and out the door you go. A horrible mistake that the medical profession is constantly doing.

Although I had FM symptoms before I took any of these antidepressants, the symptoms of my FM became so much more worse than ever, and I do believe that these drugs were responsible for that. The added weight put me at risk for type 2 diabetes as well, since I had gained so much weight on these drugs. My immunity has never been the same.

This is why I keep saying over and over again that antidepressants are given out way too freely. If you are a woman, it's even worse, they will give them to you for PMS, menopause, chronic pain, you name it. These drugs are powerful and people need to be monitored appropriately when they are on them. Way too many family doctors and gynecologists give these out and these docs do not have the proper training to deal with the unique problems these drugs can have.

When I went to these doctors back in the late 90's, not one of them ever screened me for FM. It was almost like they were overwhelmed with all my symptoms that they just wrote me off and sent me home with these drugs. At the time I didn't know any better. I now work in a hospital and I know so much more from being there and also through my own research.

I have heard of the book Prozac Backlash, but have never read it. I did however read another book that was similar to it, and it opened my was very scary some of the things they mentiond because I experienced it first hand myself.

The withdrawal period that I experienced from withdrawing these drugs were horrendous, and I do feel some kind of effect did happen to me, it took months and months for me to feel better again, but I never did feel like I did before these drugs. Very good post. Sorry my post was so long, so gald you posted this question because it is so very important. Hugs, Chelz.