MIracle, I have been pain free since Monday am, the patch

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JaciBart, Mar 12, 2003.

1. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

Wanted to wait a few days before sharing this all with you, sometimes I get so excited to feel that I am actually getting the old Jaci back, I get my hopes up and then I am disappointed but this seems to be reliable treatment for me.

Yahooooooooooooooooooooooo.

I went to the ER on Sun, I thought I was having heart problems, was scary for me so I went in to have it checked out, well my heart was ok, however an unexpected thing happened. The doc I got was incredible, he had asked me a whole lot of questions about the neck pain, fibro, meds, and he really seemed to be focusing in on the depression. I kept telling him that the depression for me is simply a symptom of the intense pain that I feel 24/7. My doc has in the recent past rx'd hydro for me in addition to the ultram and the skelaxin but my dr makes me just beg for it, lectures the hell out of me, makes me feel like a junkie, threatens all the time to cut me off, I only get 60 tabs a mo, 7.5/500 so I can take 2 a day. If I take 2 together with my ultram and my skelaxin and neurontin I can get 2-3 hours of 50% pain if I am lucky. So I plan on what time of day to take them, usually about 12 noon so I can have a few hours to do housework, cooking, be productive, just run errands, putter at home, etc. Well, this ER doc thought it was just ludicrous and said "You should not have to go thru that, no one should have to suffer like that, he has no understanding of fibro pain" so he (without me even asking) writes me an rx for Fentanyl, 50mcg, the duragesic patch, he gives me a couple, no refills, but tells me that if it works for me I can tell my doc it was legally rx'd, I tried it and it works great.

Well, the time I put it on the first time was 6 pm, I was relieved some on Sun eve, only maybe 40-50%, went to bed, slept better than I have in years!!!!!!! That is amazing in itself. I awoke Mon am with no pain. None. In my neck only, that is my excruciating spot. I had some pain in my ankles, hands, just a little tho, nothing I cannot handle, I can deal with minor pain and it kind of feels like it is none as I am so used to it now. Anyway, Mon am I got up at 5:30, made breakfast for my son and hubby, I actually wanted to, breakfast burritos, their favorite, cleaned up the litchen immediately, got them off to work & school, went for a 3 mile walk, felt incredible all day. I look alive again, my eyes look happy again as if I have a life. My skin tone looks better I think cuz I am sleeping way better than I did. It has only been a few days now but I have a whole new attitude. The pain is so overwhelming to me that it dominates my every moment. I have had many days where I honestly wondered how I would get thru life like that and today I can see joy again. I am not completely over it but I am definitely much improved. The depression is probably still there a bit but I am on my way back to being "back into life", I have gotten more done this past few days and with a happy heart than I have since last May when this dd came on. I am noticing that every 4 hrs or so I still do need my ultram & skelaxin & neurontin BUT with them & the patch I am hopeful now that I can have a happy life.

Too good to be true??? I sure hope not.

I am so much more calm with my son, being in such horrible pain affects everything. Maybe someday soon my hubby & I can even make love again.

I have hope finally, my doc will not rx it but I am looking at options. He is history. I definitely encourage you all to give it a try as I was of the thinking that the best I could hope for was maybe 50% reduction, not true at all. I am not having any problem tolerating it either. I did notice that it wore out one day early tho, I changed it last night at 11 pm so I got 53 hours out of it instead of 72 but I can live with that.

Sorry it is so long, and I hope I have offered hope to you.

Jaci
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I am so very happy for you. I know what you mean about finding your "old self" again. Thanks for sharing your good news.

Love, Mikie
  3. pamela

pamela New Member

How exciting!!! I was wondering about that patch. I went to my pain mgt. doc yesterday and mentioned it to her and she said it was definitley an alternative for me. Im so glad you have found relief. I read your posts all the time and you are an inspiration to me. May you enjoy your new found mostly pain free life. What are you going to do for another doctor? I think your doc you mentioned about that lectures you and all that is a big loser!! Doctors just don't take the time to get educated about pain and FMS/CFS!!! I get really ticked off especially now since I have this crud. I have noticed alot of docs like yours. Well chat w/ ya later...Happy putting around Pammy
  4. karen55

karen55 New Member

Jaci!!!! I can totally relate to your statement "The pain is so overwhelming to me that it dominates my every moment". I take Lortab 10/500 and Soma for pain. I see my Dr. every 6 weeks, he writes a new Rx, with one refill, enough to last me another 6 weeks. The Lortab takes the edge off, but my pain is never below a 3-4.

So where does this leave you, searching for a new doc? Good luck! I hope you find one as understanding and knowledgeable as the ER doc.

Karen
  5. Lau

Lau New Member

I'm so happy for you. I can totally relate to all you've said about living with constant pain.

Thank you so much for sharing this information and offering some hope, as I have been feeling kind of hopeless lately. I will definitely ask my dr to let me try it at my next appointment.

Wishing you peace, joy and continued relief. Know that you are not alone & that you are ing my prayers.

6. RedB

RedB New Member

Congratulations, Jaci! I hope you continue to have some of your pain removed. I recently had pretty much the same experience with Neurotin. The first time in 6 long years! Isn't it amazing how your confidence suddenly comes back when you realize that you really DO have something wrong with your system, or the pain medicine would not have made it go away!

Good Luck....
    Kathy
  7. griswoldgirl

griswoldgirl New Member

and I will mention the patch to him and see what he thinks. I am currently on ms cotin 60mg a day and 5 mg oxycodone for breakthrough pain every 6 hours as needed--too many pills. I suffer from osteoarthritis beyond my years(I am 43 and have had cspine fusion already due to it) and now am recovering from knee surgery. I, too am in pain 24/7 without meds. At least I have a humane doc.

I am not familiar with ducagesic patches, what is it, a narcotic patch or what? Just curious. also not familiar with fetanyl, what is that.

I find the oxy clouds my fog even more and I am studying for my ultrasound boards and am looking for something that will not cloud my thinking as much.

I am glad to hear someone is pain, well almost, pain free!!

cathy

ps-your ER doc was an angel in disguise![This Message was Edited on 03/12/2003]
  8. pam_d

pam_d New Member

Glad to hear you are feeling better! I have had FM for 4 years, my pain is mainly in my hands & feet, and I have always used just supplements & "toughed it out" but lately (could be the cold weather, or a new stage of FM) my pain level is much higher. I'm still trying, as we all are, to find & treat the underlying FM causes, rather than just medicate, but I am always so glad to hear when someone has found the correct combination of things to relieve their pain, and I have learned not to say "never" about anything, treatment-wise. I'm glad you all share your wisdom about what you've learned about managing pain, I have learned a lot here about all kinds of options.

Still hoping to avoid pain meds, but definitely hurting a lot! Don't feel as hopeful about new diet & supplements right now, just discouraged I guess. I always get a lift here when I hear someone mention they've found a good plan for relief, though-----hope so much that you continue to feel better!!

Hugs,
    Pam
  9. jeanderek

jeanderek New Member

I am so happy that you have found something that is working. You have brought new respect to ER doctors. My experience was the complete opposite of that. She didn't even believe that fibro was a real illness and had to debate it seemed for over an hour with her to get her to understand what I go through then after all of that she gave me 5 lortabs and told me to go back to my doctor. I hope you find a doctor to keep you on them Whats sad is you find something that truly works and the doctor wont give them to you. My doctor was the same way I felt like I had to beg for pain relief and he always made me feel like I was a drug seeker it got to the point that I dreaded going because I knew it was going to be hell. I am seeing a pain management doctor now and things are going pretty good. I have not discussed the patch with him because this past month he put me on oxycontin and its been working. I am not pain free but to the point that I can deal with what pain I do have. Best Wishes and way to go!!!

hugs,
    Jeanna
  10. 2girls

2girls New Member

Wonderful news! You were extremely fortunate to have come across such an understanding doc, especially in the ER of all places. Enjoy your pain free days and hope they last!

2girls
  11. LisaMay

LisaMay New Member

What wonderful news! I'm definitely going to ask my doc about the patch on Monday. I'm interested to know what meds you were taking and able to discontinue using the patch. I've heard from others the great success, but I was so leary to give up a good thing. This sounds like a dream come true.

Here's to many more pain free days! Lisa
  12. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

but I read the other post on the bad side of the patch...............shit!

I will ponder this.

Madwolf, where are you????????????????

Cannot catch you at work on phone, pls call me, I left my ### at your office, I will keep trying too.

Jaci
  13. darlamk

darlamk New Member

thanks for sharing your news! I hope your relief continues for you!
    Darla
  14. swred5

swred5 New Member

I started using the patch about 3 months ago and have noticed a big improvement over the oxycontin that I was on previously. I was supposed to go to the dr. on the 7th, but they had to cancel my appt. due to the dr. mother passing away. I am on 25 mcg. every 72 hours, but have noticed that I am not feeling much relief on that third day. I am hoping that my dr. will up me to the 50 mcg. when I do go later in the month, and think that then I will really be doing good. I am so glad that it is working so well for you, my mother tried it and felt some great relief, but it ended up making her very ill so she had to stop it. Good luck in finding a better doctor, god knows that is a hard one!! xoxo
  15. Hippo

Hippo New Member

Hi, I am new to prescription pain meds. I just started on Ultram. After I read your post, I wanted to ask my doctor about it. Could you tell me a little more about it? Is it for really severe pain, or what?

Hippo
  16. CATLADY912

CATLADY912 New Member

I'M SO GLAD THAT YOU ARE ABLE TO USE THE PATCH. I ALSO TRIED THAT PATCH BUT IT WAS MAKING ME "OUT OF MY HEAD" AND THAN I WOULD NEED A LITTLE SOMETHING EXTRA LATTER ON BUT MY PAIN DOCTOR WOULD NOT PRESRIBE ANYTHING FOR ME AT THAT TIME FOR BREAK THRU PAIN, BUT THAT WAS ALMOST 2 YEARS AGO. MAYBE I WILL TRY IT AGAIN AND MAYBE HE WILL BE DIFFERENT SINCE HE AND I HAVE A BETTER RELATIONSHIP NOW.

GOOD FOR YOU GIRL.

CHEERS
    JANICE
  17. danisue22

danisue22 New Member

Hi, I'm so happy this is working for you.I was on this for a while but after 12 hours I would start to get a headache and then I started turning into some one I did'nt even know.Was yelling and screaming at people ,acting like every one was stupid. I'm about the meeekest person you'll ever meet. It was so not me. Then I started hyperventilating could'nt stay in my house had to go outside to get air.was crying and could'nt make the simplest decision about anything. It's a great drug for pain as the Doctor said,but it was'nt for me. So glad you can take it. God Bless Danisue
  18. mrskbarnett

mrskbarnett New Member

I don't understand these Docs. You finally found something that will make you feel better & he won't perscribe it to you? What, does he enjoy seeing you in pain? I just don't get these people! I have to beg my Doc. for meds. Then he makes me feel like I've commited some illegal act. I hurt all the time & my Doc. kept giving me crap like Ultram which doesn't help me at all. Last Friday I went back to him & told him I couldn't take the pain anymore so he give me Morophine. What an extreme. All I was asking him for was some Hydro, or Oxy, so instead he gives me the strong stuff, & really it hasn't helped much. I've been told about the patche's & I think I'd like to try them too. He probably won't give me an R/X for them though. I'm so glad you're feeling better, I just hope it lasts for you. I know exactly what you're going through & it just destroys your life as you once knew it. L
    Good luck girl!
    Kim
  19. ejay

ejay New Member

i was on duragesic[which is very close to morphine]patches for almost 2 years drs told me i would be on the rest of my life and put me on 50mg. although i found all the great benefits you did in time i found a increase in headaches and i bloated terrible but what made me go off was it caused terrible mood swings that i wasnt really aware of but others were so i tried cutting myself to 25 and it didnt change then just took myself off and havent been able to find anything since that worked as well for pain so what do you do for me i just felt i was putting hubby thru enough he didnt need me pms 24 hrs a day this may not give you these side effects at all but are not uncommon so dont worry if you experiance and if you are prepared you might be able to handle better than i
  20. ejay

ejay New Member

i was on duragesic[which is very close to morphine]patches for almost 2 years drs told me i would be on the rest of my life and put me on 50mg. although i found all the great benefits you did in time i found a increase in headaches and i bloated terrible but what made me go off was it caused terrible mood swings that i wasnt really aware of but others were so i tried cutting myself to 25 and it didnt change then just took myself off and havent been able to find anything since that worked as well for pain so what do you do for me i just felt i was putting hubby thru enough he didnt need me pms 24 hrs a day this may not give you these side effects at all but are not uncommon so dont worry if you experiance and if you are prepared you might be able to handle better than i