Mirapex (new drug to help fm)??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by reeny64tang, Nov 22, 2005.

1. reeny64tang

reeny64tang New Member

I read a news article yesterday about a drug that has been being used to help people with Parkinsons Disease. It is called Mirapex and supposedly instead of just being a sleep drug, it lets you sleep by stimulating dopamine receptors and it decreases pain. Has anyone heard of it or tried it? Please let us all know. I did copy the article which was on the web by - SEATTLE (Ivanhoe Broadcast News)
  2. kbak

kbak Member

Haven't heard of it, but thanks so much for posting about it. Something to look into!

K.
  3. millennia

millennia New Member

I've heard of it. I'm gonna ask my doc next time I go. Do a search for it. A couple of people have written about their experiences with it.
  4. Sachmo

Sachmo New Member

I have been on Mirapex for two weeks. You work your way up slowly. I am currently taking 3 doses of .0125 grams a day.

The first week, I got the flare from heck. I've pushed my way through that and I feel that my pain level is less. Last weekend the weather was changing and I hurt but not as much as before.

I am suppossed to up my dose next week. I will keep you "posted"
  5. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

I think there are about 3 threads on this drug .. I forget where the heck I joined in ! LOL
    I asked my GP about it today and she said it looks interesting .. BUT ... she wants me to see my rhuemy about it .. she is totally unfamilar with it .. so it may be some time before I get to find out about it or even have a chance to try it. I do appreciate any information about it though ... so thanks !
    Fudge : )
  6. loriaball1

loriaball1 New Member

I started taking it for the constant shaking. It helped but I think it needs to be upped because the shaking is starting again. Actually....the shaking is what prompted me to look at theis site and read the message board. If anyone else shakes please let me know.
  7. 18yrpwc

18yrpwc New Member

My tremor started 19 years ago with the virus that started my CFIDS, but the Anafranil which I have been taking 15 years has made it much worse over the years. It does significantly improve my energy and cognition, though, so I have kept on using it. Dr. Cheney says any long-time use of SSRIs or TCAs will fry your brain like this. As with Provigil, which I also use and find helpful, he says I am whipping my body and brain beyond the low energy protective rest state it has been in for 19 years to protect against the progression of my diastolic cardiomyopathy.

He notes that my tremor is an intention tremor. It gets worse when I try to do something with my hands, etc., whereas Parkinson's apparently involves primarily a rest tremor, which gets somewhat better when you try to do something with your hands. Which type of tremor is yours?

scooterhoo
  8. cosmoo

cosmoo New Member

Hi, well i live in Seattle where the physcian who developed the protocal for using mirapex for fibro is located. If you want information on the paper he p resented before the board of rhumtolgy and the info go to google and type in Andrew J Holman (no quotes or anything) . You begin his protocal on 0.5mg and increase by that much over a period of 8 weeks until you are at 4.5mg. Then if that works for you you stay or increase as needed. The worst side effect is nausea. He recommends daily doses of prilosec or zantac up to 3 times a day for that. It also has insomnia as a side effect-bizarre. For some people this goes away as the dose is increased and thus they seem to sleep better and have pain reduction. It is also being used for RLS, pharmacisist commented that patients using it for this claim it's fabulous.
    So my hopes for trying where high but after 4 weeks I am quiting today at sleep physicians recommendation. Rhumy has presx it. My insomnia has gotten worse, the RSL has not improved and I can't stand the 24/7 nausea anymore. The OTC meds did not help this. So for me this has failed. However I have a friend who participaated in Dr. Holmans orginal trial and she claims she has forgotten she has fibro. I suppose it is like anything else, it may be worth a try because it works really well for some but not for others-me.
    I hope you will be one for whom it is really effective. Happy Thanksgiving
    Cosmoo