MIRAPEX USERSI NEED SOME ADVICE IF YOU ARE OUT THERE

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by obrnlc, Mar 24, 2007.

1. obrnlc

obrnlc New Member

hi mirapex users,
    how is it going with all of you? I am on week 4 (0.75mg twice/day) and have had some problems past 2 weeks, thought it might have been the mirapex, but denied it to myself--DID NOT WANT TO STOP--my "trial of one" as my doc calls it.

so i have been on antibiotics a few days for this brewing sinus infection and virus in my chest wall, and started getting real dizzy 3 days ago. it is bothering my vision, etc. and making me real off balanced, etc. I figured it must be an inner ear thing, THEN:

today it hit me--I HAVE NO PAIN, and like a fool, took my normal pain meds, this must be how drug addicts feel (i don't like it at all-why pay to feel sick!).
    I haven't taken my break-through vicodin for 2 days now, and when this dizziness started, had used an actiq lozenge for severe neck pain 2 days ago, thats when it hit me, the dizziness.
    have continued to take my kadian morning and night, but i just realized--i might not need it!!! I am going to skip my bedtime dose and try to taper down, as i am really comfortable, and haven't felt like this in 5 years!

Did the mirapex work this quickly or at all for any of you? I was very hopeful, but not real optimistic about it.

can others share their results please?
    thanks, and HAPPY SPRING!!---L
  2. ETN

ETN New Member

I am just curious as to what you are using the mirapex for?

My dr put me on it about 2 months ago when I had exhausted all sleeping agents.
    It has helped my sleeping quite a bit.

I am on the lowest dose but am thinking I need to bump it up cause it doesn't seem to be helping like it did when I first started it.

But I am finding that most meds I use seem to do that.

:) M
  3. obrnlc

obrnlc New Member

hi etn,
    this was an experimental fibro treatment done a few years ago that showed promising results of decreased pain in "worst case" patients (disabled and narcotic dependent). If you google "mirapex in fibromyalgia" you will find the article on medscape.

my pain doc thought it sounded great but was a little concerned about why no follow up has been done in 2 years, and why he has never heard of it if the results were as good as the article stated.

A few others on here are on it also. I can sure see the sleep effectiveness of it! I just can't believe that what i am feeling is NO PAIN ( well it may be starting a little, but not like usual) and now i think my dizziness is just being overmedicated.
    i would love to be able to function without all of this stuff i take!

L
  4. Lynn2004

Lynn2004 New Member

Hello
    I just started Mirapex a few days ago and I can already tell a difference in my leg pain. I no longer wake up during the night with that severe aching in my legs. I'm taking .25mg. What a great feeling to get a good nights sleep for a change.
    I'll be interested to see what others think.
    Good Luck To All
  5. StephieBee

StephieBee New Member

Although I am going thru a period of time where it seems that none of my meds are working at optimum potention for no reason at all, I did experience a bout when I first re-started taking Mirapex that would cause me to feel like I was drugged.

It would only happen when I would take the majority of my "heavy hitting" medications at bedtime. I would wake up in the middle of the night a fewtimes feeling very disoriented, dizzy, lightheaded and I felt as though I couldnt walk because I was intoxicated due to the drugs. I have never been on Thorazine (sp?) but I have heard of the Thorazine shuffle...and I swear thats what I would do when I would have to get up and go to the bathroom in order for me not to fall. It was such a weird sensation. No paranoia or anything...just an intoxication feeling when I mixed it with my Zanaflex which I take 8-12 mgs at night, Norco and at that point in time I had just started Topamax....aka Dopamax..LOL!!

Very weird huh!

Im glad its working for you though....it works well for me too! The feeling did go away if it makes you feel any better.

Hugs,
    Steph
  6. obrnlc

obrnlc New Member

thanks guys--
    i just didn't expect a response so quickly, then when i realized--my pain level was a ZERO for the 1st time in probably 8-9 years!!!!! I didn't even know what that feeling was, and it lasted a couple of hours. I am just overwhelmed, and anxious to skip my bedtime dose of kadian. Thanks, glad it works for you guys, too, and thanks for sharing your side effects with me, steph!--L
  7. mujuer

mujuer New Member

Isn't it a Parkinsons disease rx like Requip for RLS? I am on Requip which helps from the waist down but would love it better if it worked all over. I am happy for ya'.
  8. StephieBee

StephieBee New Member

yes, Mirapex is a Parkinson's drug main used to treat RLS. It is similar to Requip as you said.

Recently they have found it to benefit Fibro pain. There have been numerous published studies on it . They say it may become the first drug even to be approved for Fibro.

Im not sure exactly why you hear about it working on our Fibro pain and you dont hear so much about Requip...but Im sure that would be something to look into. I know im sure interested now!

Hope this helps.
    Steph