Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Janalynn, Feb 22, 2010.

1. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Is anyone taking this and if so, are you experiencing any side effects. Has it helped your Fibro pain?

I was recently prescribed this (not for RLS), but my Dr. is trying to find something to help.
    I know that Mirapex works on your dopamine levels.

I don't know if this is making me more tired, (taking mid evening) but I am actually falling asleep at my desk (out in the open!) for brief periods of time. I only wake myself up because I am ALWAYS talking outloud. Yesterday I woke myself up when I loudly said "I hope he didn't break anything" WTH?

Any input would be appreciated.
    Thanks so much!

2. tech274

tech274 New Member

I took this for 2 weeks to test for RSL. I can't say it did anything to me , one way or the other. Maybe it was a placebo. I too was falling asleep during the day and Mirapex did not change it.Dr. did give me free Nuvigil to try and that, at least for now, has ended he sleeping during the day.
  3. madeintheuk

madeintheuk New Member

I took Mirapex for a while but it gave me stabbing pains in the arms and numb feeling. Dopamine agonists are no joke - changing dopamine levels significantly can be dangerous. I had some serious suicidal thoughts and mood changes on Mirapex. Be very careful going on and off this medication, any changes should be done very very gradually. good luck!
  4. siestasuze

siestasuze New Member

I searched info on this med for fibro, and saw your post. I know this is serious, but your post made me chuckle:)

Just wondering if you stayed on this med and if you were taking for fibro? Did it help?

I've read that it is being used off label for pain in fibro/ me. But slowly starts at night,bedtime only, and builds up to 4.5 mg per nite. The dopamine agonist supposed to help in this one study. This news was in my Fibromyalgia Network newsletter.

Reports showed it also helped some with brain fog, cognitive.???

if you could let me know, id appreciate it!

Thanks, suze
  5. Jana1

Jana1 New Member

Wow, this post made me come out of message board retirement. I quit posting years ago, because nothing I ever said made a bit of difference. I still read the boards every single week, and Janalyn, you are in the top 3 of my favorite posters. I relate to you and your circumstances because mine are similar. (you are younger! lol).

The generic for Mirapex is Ropinirole, it is a lot less expensive. I have to pay for all my medications, so that makes a difference to me.

I started taking it for RLS and since I did, I have never had another episode. This has been for 3 years. I take it at night as I get into bed and it helps me sleep deeply and more soundly.

Keep pushing on, Janalynn. It is the only way to beat FM and have a life despite it!

6. siestasuze

siestasuze New Member

Am I understanding your post correctly, that it has helped you beat FM?

There are so many posts on here with horrible responses to using Miripex. I was thinking about asking by GP to let me try, but am very hesitant after researching posts on the med.

Very interested if you took for RLS or Fibro or something else and your experience with it?

Thanks, your response will be very much appreciated!....

7. lucindalouise

lucindalouise New Member

I have been on this for over a year, and would not stop for anything. It has 99% stopped my RLS!
    Am wondering if anyone else gets the general feeling of every tooth in your mouth aching? I see my Dentist regularly, and there is nothing the matter. This happens mostly when I am very tired...
    Am interested in connecting with anyone who has FM in Ottawa?
  8. Jana1

Jana1 New Member

I wish I could tell you that anything has helped me beat FM, but I was referring to Restless Leg Syndrome. That used to keep me awake for hours every night, then after I started Ropinirole, I haven't had to deal with it again. Sleeping well every night does help me face FM with more strength each day, but doesn't really affect it any other way, sorry!