mirapexin

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by luigi21, Mar 14, 2010.

1. luigi21

luigi21 Member

Has anyone tried mirapexin for fibromyalgia, what was your starting dose, and how did you get on. i am due to start it, but my doctor has not given me any information regarding side effects, neither do i have a leaflet with the medication. i would be very grateful for your experiences thank you
  2. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I have taken mirapexin (mirapex) off and on for about ten years for my RLS and it really helps.

What is nice about it is that you are not taking the higher dose that Parkinson's patients take so the side effects should be minimized.The only side effect I had was my stomach for the first week of taking it.

I know how awful RLS can be. Magnesium did not work for me and it made me very sick. Although, Epsom salt baths do help a bit but it could also be the warm water. The effects only last about an hour or so.

You do need to make sure you are not anemic and get not only an iron count (CBC?) but also your ferritin level as it can make the RLS much worse.

I just had my ferritin checked as my RLS has gotten worse and it turned out to be low. But in the meantime the mirapex really helps until my ferritin level is back to normal.

I was fortunate that I did not have to take meds. until ten years ago as I have had RLS since I was 16. As I said, I don't have to take it all the time. Probably about 2-3 times per month and now that my ferritin is low will take it until the reading comes out normal.

One other point. I would start with the mirapex before requip, though some people get more relief with the requip. I think it is also important to see a neurologist/sleep doctor.

Hope this helps.

gap

[This Message was Edited on 03/14/2010]
  3. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I don't understand why you just put the side effects. You don't get the whole picture by just focusing on them.

gap
  4. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I think I did that. :>).

Thanks.

gap
  5. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

My Dr. also wants me to try that, but for Fibro, not RLS. Has it helped your Fibro pain?

Thanks.
  6. gapsych

gapsych New Member

There was a study done where they found that Mirapex can help fibromyalgia. I do not know if there were any studies replicating this. I find the pain of RLS is similar to my FM pain.

I will look in my files and see if I can find this study and any other studies. I would be interested in knowning why your doctor is recommending Mirapex. Is he/she a rheumatologist?

I do know the doses were much higher for Fibro. than RLS and wonder how it would affect thestomach which was the only side effect I experienced. Also, people lost weight.

Keep us posted.

gap
    [This Message was Edited on 03/15/2010]
  7. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Gotcha!!!! :>)

gap
  8. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I misread your post. I thought you were taking Mirapex for RLS.

gap
  9. gapsych

gapsych New Member

http://www.prohealth.com/library/showarticle.cfm?id=6783&t=CFIDS_FM

http://www.fibromyalgia-symptoms.org/fibromyalgia_neurotransmitter.html
  10. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I haven't read the articles yet, but yes, my Dr. is a rheumatologist. His reasoning was because it helps with our dopamine levels.

I started taking it, but I was literally falling asleep with no warning. I fell asleep at my desk at work, sitting straight up, computer mouse in my hand. I woke myself up by talking in my sleep.
    I also have a nauseous stomach and my all over body twitching/jerking seems to be much worse.

I'm also gaining weight. Now I don't know if it can happen that quickly, but I haven't changed my eating at all and I'm even feeling sick, so doesn't make sense.

Just wondering if anyone else has taken for Fibro symptoms/relief?

I'll go read those links - Thank you very much!
  11. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I am really interested in people's experiences with this.

Thanks.
    gap
  12. Ladeehwk

Ladeehwk New Member

I have taken both of these drugs, I still take Mirapex for RLS and don't think I could live without it. But at least I now know what they are capable of causing one to do.. and guard against it...

"Pfizer agreed to settle a case during the middle of a trial over a suicide death linked to the drug Neurontin. The lawsuit alleged that Pfizer knew of the harmful side effects of the drug, and that it posed a suicide risk and that they failed to adequately warn consumers about it. Pfizer was just ordered to pay $141 million for illegally promoting Neurontin for non-approved, or off-label, uses.

Some of the very same allegations about the failure to warn of known risks are contained in the Mirapex gambling lawsuits (Mirapex causes compulsive behaviors) Indeed, many of Mirapex's users have contemplated and attempted suicide"
  13. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Have you started the Mirapex for your FM?

Thanks.

gap