Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by SherylS, May 2, 2012.

1. SherylS

SherylS Member

My doctor prescribed this for sleep. It is a tricyclic antidepressant. I have tried amitriptyline which worked for about 2 weeks, then stopped. I am taking ambien, but want to stop. It makes me sleep, but causes all kinds of problems during the day. Just wondering if anyone has tried this?

2. LadyCarol

LadyCarol Member

Mirtazpine is a tetracyclic antidepressant, it is can also be used to aid sleep when used in low doses. It's best to start on a low dose of 7.5mg and then increase to 15mg to help reduce possible side effects, it doesn't tend to make you feel hung over during the day like some typical sleep meds can do.

You have to monitor yourself when taking any new drug for side effects, most tend to go after a few doses, you'll only know how you get on with it by trying it.

I used to take Mirtazapine for a while and it helped with sleep quality but had to come off it due to the side effect of swelling in legs.
  3. SherylS

SherylS Member

I have tried calms forte, many different doses of melatonin, tryptophan, theanine....used to take lorazepam, made me very jittery and anxious the next day. Can't really find anything that works without side effects. Thanks