Miscarraiges and fibro???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lumediluna, Feb 27, 2003.

1. lumediluna

lumediluna New Member

Anyone know if fibro can cause miscarraiges? I can't find anything on the net about it. Thanks for your time.
  2. Coach

Coach New Member

Fibro is usually associated with liver problems/congestion. Liver problems are associated with estrogen/hormonal problems (like endometriosis) which is associated with infertility in general. It seems logical to me that out-of-whack hormone levels could lead to miscarriage, but I haven't done a thorough study of it.

Jaimie.
  3. jeniwren

jeniwren New Member

Hi lumediluna,
    I hope that this info helps.

Problems in the chromosomes of the embryo, by far the most common reason for loss of pregnancy, are found in more than half of miscarriages occurring in the first 13 weeks. Miscarriages apparently eliminate about 95 percent of fertilized eggs or embryos with genetic problems—perhaps nature's way of ending a pregnancy in which the child would be unable to survive.

Anything physically wrong with the uterus or cervix can lead to a miscarriage. Some defects may be present from birth. Fibroids—noncancerous growths made of uterine muscle tissue—can also be at fault. So can a weak cervix that widens too early in pregnancy without any warning signs of labor, releasing the fetus from the uterus. These physical problems account for up to 15 percent of repeated miscarriages.

Some women have repeated miscarriages because their bodies see each baby as an invading organism and attack it with antibodies. This is to do with the female body seeing the male contribution as alien and attempting to reject it..much like a bacterial infection.

Certain autoimmune diseases and abnormalities also increase the risk of miscarriage. Women whose blood contains certain types of antibodies are at particularly high risk. These women may have no symptoms other than trouble retaining a pregnancy, but a blood test can determine whether the antibodies are present.

It is important to remember that 70-90% of pregnancies are successful.

In direct answer to your Q; NO, FMS cannot CAUSE a miscarriage. It could possibly CONTRIBUTE to a miscarriage because of the stress placed upon the mother and her body.

Looking at the above info I would hazzard a guess that it would depend on how bad the FMS was as to whether there was any likelihood of a miscarriage occurring at all in a pregnant woman suffering FMS.

Hoping that this is of some use to you
    wishing you peace
    Jeniwren

[This Message was Edited on 02/27/2003]