Misdiagnosis of Fibromyalgia run in the family?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by RadioFM, Sep 23, 2014.

1. RadioFM

RadioFM Active Member

Various Causes of Fibromyalgia ( Pseudo fibromyalgia? )

• "Classic Fibromyalgia"
    • "Pseudo Fibromyalgia"
    • "Organic Diseases"
    • "Functional Disorders"
    • "Musculoskeletal Disorders"

For more information on this there is an excellent article posted on :
    Dynamicchiropractic.com, Fibromyalgia Syndrome: Reclassification is Definitely Needed.

We need more research in identifying these other subgroups and possible misdiagnosis of FM. We need to ask the right questions in order to have full understanding of the contributing factors to our illnesses.

Does Fibromyalgia Run in the Family?
    "If you suffer from fibromyalgia, you may have wondered how much of the syndrome is genetic. Do your parents endure neck and back pain, chronic fatigue and headaches? Do your brothers, sisters and children exhibit many of the same symptoms of fibromyalgia? Scientists are now closer to understanding why many people in your family may be susceptible to similar painful conditionsand diseases."

All in the Genes?
    "The role of genes in fibromyalgia and related conditions has been the subject of vigorous debate and controversy since the late 1980s. In those years, Dr. Muhammad B. Yunus of the University of Illinois College of Medicine conducted a study of 40 fibromyalgia patients and their families to determine the genetic basis of the illness. Of the families of the 40 fibromyalgia patients, 74% of siblings, 53% of children and 42% of parents had fibromyalgia. Notably, Yunus found a connection between the genetic marker, human leukocyte antigen (HLA), and the development of fibromyalgia."

"HLA, a protein found in your body’s cells, is used by the immune system to recognize familiar cells and reject foreign cells. Although people inherit this protein from their parents, its presence does not necessarily indicate a person will develop fibromyalgia. It has since been hypothesized that several genes are working together to create fibromyalgia in certain people."

HLA System
    "The human leukocyte antigen system is the name of a cluster of genes found in our immune system that work to keep foreign pathogens out of our bodies. There are more than 100 human leukocyte antigens. HLA types were once most often studied to find organ donors for organ transplants. HLA is still currently used to find matches for bone marrow transplants."

"It is believed that certain HLA types are passed down from generation to generation and can lead to autoimmune disorders such as lupus erythematosus and Sjogren’s Syndrome. Even though fibromyalgia is considered a chronic syndrome,e not an autoimmune disorder, Dr.Yunus used HLA types to infer peoples’ genetic predisposition to the disease. However, scientists in the study were not able to exclude the environment of the family as a predisposing factor to the disease." See more here: Does Fibromyalgia Run In The Family

Do you know your HLA types ?

"Most people know their ABO blood type. In some countries people carry a card indicating their blood type, in case of accident requiring an emergency blood transfusion. Few people however have heard of HLA types (human leukocyte antigens), the antigens in our blood that fight off microbes."

"Contrarily to ABO blood types people do not have just one HLA type, but many (about 8 per person). "

"There are 3 major types of class I HLA (HLA-A, HLA-B, HLA-C) and 3 major types of class II HLA (HLA-DP, HLA-DQ and HLA-DR). Each type comprises hundreds of subtype (e.g. HLA-B27), further subdivided in hundreds of sub-subtypes (e.g. HLA-B*2705). "

"People will usually have 2 types of HLA-A, 2 of HLA-B, and 2 of HLA-C as well as 1 or 2 other types."

"HLA types are encoded in the HLA gene on chromosome 6. HLA types are therefore hereditary, just like the ABO blood type."

HLA's role in fighting diseases

"Each type and subtype is more or less efficient in fighting off viruses and noxious bacteria. There are tens of thousands of possible combinations of HLA, which is why some people never get sick, while other constantly have a cold, or are prone to some types of infections, depending on what HLA combination they have. "

"HLA types found in tropical countries tend to differ a lot from those in temperate parts of the world, because the viruses found there are different. Some Africans have developed HLA that give them resistance to malaria, for instance. When the Europeans arrived in the Americas, bringing with them new viruses on the continent, the biggest part of the Native American population of North America was wiped out as they didn't have the right antigens to fight off even the common cold."

"But too aggressive HLA's can also be bad for the body. Some HLA types are known to attack the body's own cells, causing what is known as autoimmune diseases, in other words diseases caused by one's immune system attacking one's own body. "See more here: http://www.eupedia.com/forum/threads/25151-HLA-types-and-autoimmune-diseases

I just had a revelation. I was looking at some HLA -B gene testing I had done last week as I believe that HLA testing is the future in identifying subgroups of misdiagnosed FM. I just found out I have the B*44 gene-allele.

See links below...

"HLA-B44 increases recurrent sinopulmonary infections.[3] Protective effects: HLA-B44 appears to be protective against autoimmune Lymphoproliferative Syndrome in patients with C95 defect (ALPS type Ia).[4] B44 may be a cofactor in ankylosing spondylitis " http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HLA-B44

"Other HLA genes have been associated with SpA in IBD: HLA-DrB10103, HLA-B35, HLA-B24 in type 1 peripheral arthritis, and HLA-B44 in type 2 peripheral arthritis"

See more here: Enteropathic Spondyloarthritis: From Diagnosis to Treatment

"Type II is a polyarthritis mainly affecting the small joints. It rarely precedes the diagnosis of IBD. It tends to run a course independent of the bowel disease. Metacarpophalangeal joints are frequently involved and the differentiation of type II peripheral arthritis and rheumatoid arthritis is important and requires radiographic and immunologic correlation. Approximately half of the patients with IBD have migratory arthritis. Active synovitis may persist for months, and may recur repeatedly. Episodes of exacerbations and remissions may continue for years. Evolution to chronicity may occur together with radiographic erosive lesions [61]. Type II arthropathy affects 3 - 4% of patients with IBD. Type II peripheral arthritis is associated with HLA-B44* in 62% of patients versus 30% of controls [56]. It is also associated with uveitis but not with other extraintestinal manifestations."

See more here:
    Rheumatological manifestations

I have thought about testing to see if anti-collagen antibodies are possibly connected to my passed history with chondritis and the HLA B*44 allele?
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2014
  2. RadioFM

RadioFM Active Member

I am working on researching other possible contributing factors related to
    Human leukocyte antigen (HLA).

Enthesopathy: Ankylosing spondylitis is one of a cluster of conditions known as seronegative spondyloarthropathies, in which rheumatoid factor tests are negative and the characteristic pathological lesion is an inflammation of the enthesis (the insertion of tensile connective tissue into bone). See more here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ankylosing_spondylitis

3. RadioFM

RadioFM Active Member

Radio: Could these subgroups be the missing link to some many being misdiagnosis as FM?

Another test to consider to help rule out the possible misdiagnosis of FM is the HLA-DR4 type.
    See links below:

"Polymyalgia rheumatica (which takes its name from the word Πολυμυαλγία "polymyalgia" which means "pain in many muscles" in medical-scientific Greek) abbreviated as PMR, is a syndrome with pain or stiffness, usually in the neck, shoulders, and hips. The pain can be very sudden, or can occur gradually over a period. It may be caused by an inflammatory condition of blood vessels such as temporal arteritis.

Most PMR sufferers wake up in the morning with pain in their muscles; however, there have been cases in which the patient has developed the pain during the evenings.[1] Patients who have polymyalgia rheumatica may also have temporal arteritis, an inflammation of blood vessels in the face which can cause blindness if not treated quickly."

Symptoms and signs

"There are a wide range of symptoms that indicate if a person has polymyalgia rheumatica. The classic symptoms include:"

• "Pain and stiffness (moderate to severe) in the neck, shoulders, and hips, which inhibits activity, especially in the morning/after sleeping."
    • "Fatigue and lack of appetite (possibly leading to weight loss) are also indicative of polymyalgia rheumatica".
    • "Anemia"
    • "An overall feeling of illness"
    • "Low-grade (mild) fever[7]"

"About 15% of people who are diagnosed with polymyalgia rheumatica also have temporal arteritis, and about 50% of people with temporal arteritis have polymyalgia rheumatica. Some symptoms of temporal arteritis include headaches, scalp tenderness, jaw or facial soreness, distorted vision or aching in the limbs caused by decreased blood flow, and fatigue.[1]"

"The cause of PMR is not well understood. The pain and stiffness result from the activity of inflammatory cells and proteins that are normally a part of the body's disease-fighting immune system, and the inflammatory activity seems to be concentrated in tissues surrounding the affected joints.[8] During this disorder, the white blood cells in the body attack the lining of the joints, causing inflammation.[9] Recent studies have found that inherited factors also play a role in the probability that an individual will develop polymyalgia rheumatica. Several theories have included viral stimulation of the immune system in genetically susceptible individuals.[10]"

"Infectious disease may be a contributing factor. This would be expected with sudden onset of symptoms for example. In addition, appearance of new cases often appear in cycles in the general population, implying a viral connection. Studies are inconclusive, however several somewhat common viruses were identified as possible triggers for PMR.[8] The viruses thought to be involved include the adenovirus, which causes respiratory infections; the human parvovirus B19, an infection that affects children; and the human parainfluenza virus.[9]"

"Persons having the HLA-DR4 type of human leucocyte antigen appear to have a higher risk of polymyalgia rheumatica.[11]"

"Apparently, there may be a connection between food sensitivities and PMR."

See more here:

HLA-DR4 - Wikipedia,

By serotype

DR4 is associated with extraarticular[2]rheumatoid arthritis,[3] hydralazine-induced female systemic lupus erythematosus,[4] pemphigoid gestationis,[5] pemphigus foliaceus,[6] obstructive hypertrophic cardiomyopathy,[7] IgA nephropathy,[8] 'shared syndrome'-systemic sclerosis/rheumatoid arthritis[9] and polymyalgia rheumatica.[10]

Inflammatory myopathy are a group of muscle diseases that can also be associated with these infection.

4. RadioFM

RadioFM Active Member

My research over the years has lead me to many links as possible contributing factors in the progression of my illness. I have identified mycoplasmal infections as the main infectious risk factors as well as mitochondrial reactive oxygen species inflammatory damage. There are many other causative possibilities that need to be investigated before anyone can make this kind of determination. Methylation and other genetic variations are important as well as stomach acid in defending the body against these pathogenic monsters.

I have spent many hours trying to understand my illness as many doctor are unable to help me. My main motivation for posting these threads is to help the others understand that there is always hope as long as we never give up the fight. Please review these links...

Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
  5. RadioFM

RadioFM Active Member

6. IanH

IanH Active Member

Just out of interest: Which mycoplasma species are you or were you infected with. If you overcame the infection, How?

Why, so late in your illness (last week) did you have an HLA gentyping? This should have been done at the beginning or at least as soon as infection was thought of as the cause. Hmmm?
  7. RadioFM

RadioFM Active Member

If you have a serious interest in the protocols and testing I have unitized in the past. Please send me a PM.
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2014