miserable... stupid school...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by pinkstar, Nov 7, 2005.

1. pinkstar

pinkstar New Member

so yea.. i am miserable... i had to drop 2 classes cause i could only physically handle 2 of them.. the school is STILL going to charge me for taking those courses! they really do not give a about me.. i told them what i was going through and still, it does not matter..

and now my financial aid is all messed up... so they aren't going to give me the regular amount towards my rent.. i did get $390 a month for rent and bills factored into my tuition.. but now they are going to lower it.. i can't work and now i can't afford my bills...

i am really considering quitting school and just going home... i have health insurance under my mom until i am 24 whether or not in school.. so perhaps this is a huge sign and i should just try to start my party planning business as soon as this damn detox crap ends...

i think i am going to try to finish my degree online, even if it does take longer... i can try to start up my business while doing this...

what do you all think i should do? i need help!!!

-Lauryn
  2. JLH

JLH New Member

I'm so sorry, Lauryn, that you are having such a miserable time right now.

I know things can get pretty mixed up with the school situations -- I have had 3 children who fought the college battles, too, so I know what you are talking about.

What do I think you should do?

I think you SHOULD STAY IN SCHOOL. It might be tough making it through, but if you leave and go home, the chances are great that you WILL NOT finish your degree like you plan to.

I know it's tough being sick, but the "tough get tougher!"

Please do what you have to do to stay in school now and finish your degree. Later, you will be glad that you did.

(((Hugs)))
    Janet
  3. beth0818

beth0818 New Member

It seems like yesterday that I was in college. I did nothing but go to class and sleep. I rarely studies and got a lot of C's but I just didn't have the energy. ANYWAY, I took a year off to work and go to community college part time. It helped me pull up my GPA and get myself together. Don't worry about finishing in 4 years.....just make it your goal to finish. Good luck!
  4. goaska29

goaska29 New Member

Lauryn,

I totally feel ya. When I was an undergrad a few years ago, I almost took a semester off due to this illness. Somehow I pushed through and was able to finish it off, but dropping from a 3.6 to a 2.8 due to bad attendance. I just couldn't focus on school when I was so sick, it was impossible. Not to mention, the college setting is not exactly condusive to good health...I mean my roommates were up til 4am everynight partying and there was no way I could get adequate sleep (not to mention how jealous I was that I couldn't join them).

I was not so lucky in graduate school. This past January I left my graduate program with the intent of returning as soon as I felt better. Well the school only allows 2 semesters of "leave" before you're kicked out of the program. I felt so much pressure to get better to return. I just realized that my health is so much more important. I can always go to grad school, but I can only do so if I get healthy now.

You don't get a second chance on your health, but you can at school. You can even look into distance learning online from your home. I don't think it was worth it to me to push through and make myself sicker, but it's ultimately your choice.

Good luck Lauryn.
  5. orachel

orachel New Member

Me and Lolliboo were just talking about this! We're both highly intelligent women (if we do say so ourselves), yet both of us ended up leaving college primarily for financial reasons.

I was at UCLA, probably within a year of graduation, and I ended up leaving because I just couldn't handle working 50-60 hours per week (which is what it took to pay my expensive LA rent! LOL) and going to school full time.

I didn't qualify for any financial aide as my father had oodles of money, just wouldn't give me any of it.

I can tell you I'm 30 now...recently diagnosed, and I MOURN the lack of degree constantly. It has DEFINITELY held me back in a big way.

I know it seems flat out impossible, but is there a way to limit your expenses? Maybe share an apartment, or something?

I know for many of us (me included) there's just no way to stay in school for financial reasons. But at the same point, speaking from having come out the other end and lived 10+ years without the degree...you definitely miss it! Or at least I do! Internet learning is a good option, that's how my hubby got his engineering degree as he had all his training in the Navy...just needed the degree.

Good luck!
    Rachel
  6. Frecker777

Frecker777 New Member

Lauryn,
    Totally commiserate with your situation—I have been there and back a few times. I have dropped out both with a refund and without in the past 4 years. I got ill my first semester at college, so my battle has been continuous. After beating myself up both physically and emotionally with trying to function on-campus, I decided to finish my degree online. I am happy to say I am finally graduating this December and although I wish I could have done it on campus, for me, it was not possible.

I can tell you about some great books listing all the online options, expenses, etc. Let me know. Also, I should add that my parents have taken over most of the financial obligation for my schooling, so I am quite lucky in that respect.
    -Carrie
  7. vp

vp New Member

I can relate to this "miserable school" topic.

My situation is a little different, but we're both caught in a catch 22 situation.

I am getting state medicaid, food stamps($150), and cash assistance (only $115/month)Which I am grateful for, but at the same time, I am only allowed to go to school part time,(less than 12 credit hours) or I lose all benefits.

At the same time, If I don't attend full time I don't qualify for enough financial aid and no schoralships. And I have to attend at least 6 credit hours to keep my student loans from coming due. So I have to keep my enrolement at at least 6 but less than 12 every semester.

I tried to take 2 summer courses last summer and had to drop one of them. Either fail of drop. Either way I had to pay for it. Definitely stinks.

At University of Akron they have a department that helps with students with special needs and disabilities. I would think most schools would have a program like this. I have several adaptions to make my learning environment easier to succeed in. The one that helps me the most is Extended
    test time in a private room, scheduled at my own convenience.

I'm 35 and still considered a freshman after 3 semesters, but it's better than nothing. At this rate I don't know when I will get my degree, but I'm getting a little closer each semester. Maybe by the time I graduate, I will be well enough to use my degree. That's the plan anyway.

Good luck, and stick with it. Only take as many classes as you can handle.

Valerie