Missed the Womans World magazine issue! :-(

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Seagull, Dec 21, 2002.

1. Seagull

Seagull New Member

An other poster had said that the Womans World Dec 24th issue has an article about FM. I finally got to the store today, but that issue was sold out.

Can someone here scan and paste the article into a message window? Sure would appreciate it. Thanks. :)

2. Jaysea

Jaysea New Member

I didn't buy the issue. I just read it in the grocery store. It was a very small article in the corner of one page. There was nothing new in it. They mentioned taking elavil for FM and as soon as I saw that useless piece of info I lost interest. It looked like they got their info from some 10 yr old medical archive.
  3. hurthawk

hurthawk New Member

I just got my scanner and the software that came with it sucks. But this is what it said:

Tired? Achy? THIS disease could be to blame!
    Your doctor can help determine if fibromyalgia is the cause of your aches and pains.

As many as 10 million Americans are affected by fibromyalgia, a mysterious and often overlooked condition that causes chronic fatigue, Headaches, body aches and stomach pains. Yet people often suffer for years Before they realize what's wrong. Recently, however, researchers have begun to shed some light on the disease. A study from Georgetown University Medical Center, for example, has discovered that fibromyalgia is a nervous system disorder, suffers brains respond more strongly to pain signals, and also appear to have abnormally low levels of the stress hormone cortisol, which can sap energy and increase pain sensitivity. We're excited about these findings, and believe they will help us develop new and better treatments," says rheumatologist Don L. Goldenberg, M.D., author of Fibromyalgia. In the meantime, experts say your best chance for relief lies in:
    •Knowing the symptoms.
    As of now, there is no definitive clinical test for fibromyalgia. Tender spots at certain points on the body are the classic sign of it. But "chronic fatigue, sleep disturbances or unrefreshing sleep, headaches, bowel problems, mood disturbances and general aches and pains are also common symptoms," says Dr. Goldenberg. So if you're experiencing them...
    •Get the right medicine.
    Anti-inflammatory pain relievers
    like Vioxx (rosecoxib) and antide-
    pressants like Prozac (fluoxetine)
    and Elavil (amitriptyline) appear
    to be most effective at relieving
    fibromyalgia.
    "Mood, sleep and energy-reg-ulating brain chemicals like serotonin are released more slowly in people with fibromyalgia, and medications like these help speed their release and availability to the brain," explains Dr. Goldenberg. • Try the best alternatives. Studies have shown that getting physically active at least once a week can relieve pain, anxiety, sleep problems and depression for many fibromyalgia sufferers. Pain-relieving supplements like MSM also appear to help, and there's some evidence that taking 150 mg. of magnesium and 600 mg. of malic acid twice a day reduces pain and tenderness for most sufferers. —Denise Mann

Cindy
  4. hurthawk

hurthawk New Member

5. Seagull

Seagull New Member

I am glad that I didn't waste my money after all. At least the article did bring the subject to the attention of more people nationwide, if not much else. But, the research appears to have been lacking. I know that anti-inflamatories have never done much for my pain.

But, again, thank you so much for all your efforts in copying the article here. Gentle hugs. :)