Missed Work (20 Days Today) Need Some Support

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kch64, Nov 28, 2005.

1. kch64

kch64 New Member

Hi everyone. I'm still kind of new here. I caught a cold earlier in the month and it's over now, but I can't seem to beat the fatigue.

I've been out of work for 20 days and am frustrated by it because I know that people think I'm just trying to get out of work, even though I've had my Rheumatologist fill out paperwork for the Family medical leave act prior to getting this bad.

I need some encouragement right now please. I know you all understand how tired a body can get with this illness. I haven't been out of the house but maybe two times this month.
    I got up today to go to work, and am so tired and a bit dizzy. I feel so frustrated. I'm going to try again tomorrow (30th) to go to the office.

Thanks for any help.
    Kendra
  2. Bet2

Bet2 New Member

Honey, I'm sooo sorry, how awful for you. I totally understand and I would be bummed too.

Are you taking anything to fight this? There's this stuff on the market called "Airborne", you can get it at Walgreens. It's all natural vitamins and was invented by a teacher. I have found that it helps if you are battling a cold and fatigue.

What about a B12 shot from your doc? I have come to find out that we have to make suggestions to our doctors about what we think might be helpful to us; I know sad isn't it?

Spirulina is also helpful in combatting this type of thing. You might see if someone will go shopping for you if you can't get out of the house (if you have that option). There's a spirulina protein drink that I take when I feel tired and listless.

I hope that you feel better soon honey. Take care,

Bet2
  3. kch64

kch64 New Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I really appreciate it. I have some sublingual B-12. I have forgotten to take it recently. I will pop one today. Maybe it will help.
    Just feels so frustrating to think it's taking me this long to overcome the fatigue.
    Thanks again.
    Kendra
  4. kch64

kch64 New Member

the job i have requires me to be at the office unfortunately. I need to find a job where i can work from home if needed.

what type of work do you do?

Thanks.
  5. Bambi

Bambi New Member

have but it didn't show up as filled in on my screen. If you haven't filled it out it really helps people know a little about you, where you are from, how old you are (if you want to say) and just a general idea of the person. I think it really helps people when they try to help out. Of course it's up to you.

I DO understand your problem however. I have rarely worked outside the home but my daugther has a full time job. She has been severe with FM for the last two or three years, and was just in denial for quite awhile before it and just hadn't gotten bad enough to have to give in.

She is having an awful time trying to hold down her job but really has to. She is only a couple of years away from her qualifying for a pension when she's old enough to reitire for one, and she and her husband have a new home they are paying for.

Even though she has an unusually generous amount of time off for vacation, sick leave and "personal" time..she's used it all up. This week she came down with a "bug" that started in the head and landed in the chest..thanks to coworkers who came to work sick with it and had no concern for those working with them. I know it's hard to stay away when money is tight, but a person never knows who they are infecting and could really unintenionally cause even death to someone. What is just a passing thing to one can aggravate a
    serious medical condition in another.

It's one of my pet peeves any way. She has not signed up for the FLMA leave time and I do wish she would. Have you? Or are you a "key" employee? My daughter did a management job until she got so sick and had to switch to something she could do a little easier. If you may
    I would surely advise you to sign the form and get it in your file. It can help so much when all other time has
    gone.

I will hope and pray that your first day back tomorrow will go well and that you will be able to get back into the "groove". I am always amazed at the courage and will power it must take for those of you who work with these dd's, especially if you are to the severe stage! I admire you so much but wish you didn't have to work
    with such a difficult burden. Take care. Bambi
  6. teltale

teltale New Member

Hi Kendra,

Last March I was home for two weeks (first time ever!) The third week although I was very tired I returned to work and continued to work up until almost four weeks ago. I never could overcome the feeling of being tired. In the weekends all I wanted to do was rest but it never seemed to be enough. Of course it only grew worse and worse and now I have severe pain overall, in every muscle in my body! Can't sleep anymore have problems with depression because I feel so guilty about being home. I know how you feel but listen to your body and try not to pay attention to those that make you feel uncomfortable. You are number one! Remember that! If you don't your body will remind you!

Helene

7. kch64

kch64 New Member

I want to thank each of you for your input. It really helps.
    Yes, I was put on a leave restriction at work this year and did sign up for Family Leave Act. Thank God I did, because my supervisory chain wouldn't be so kind to me if I didn't. I did so at the advice of a lawyer. I'm a federal employee for 22 years but am still too young to retire. I'm only 41 and the first age I can retire is 55, so have a way to go.

My mom, whom I was very close too, died only two years ago, and I think that, plus the stress of the illness, is getting to me. My job isn't stressful really, but it's hard to go when you have no energy or are feeling dizzy and weak.
    I will look forward to tomorrow and hope to make it in with enthusiasm (smile).
    I will fill out the bio for future use.

Thanks again.
    Kendra
  8. kch64

kch64 New Member

Helene...are you on disability now? Or do you work from home? I hope I don't have to go the disability route. I really don't want too. I plan on working until I can retire. But...sometimes, life has other plans for us. I will take it a day at a time.
  9. kch64

kch64 New Member

Thank you SOOOO much for posting. My job is giving me a fit right now.

I went back to work today and got a counseling statement
    basically not giving the entire story.

I'm not going to sign it until I talk to my Labor Relations Office.

If I can help you at all, please let me know. I'm so sorry you're having a hard time. I know exactly how you feel.

Believe me, I'd like for them to experience this for a month. They'd never treat us this way again. This sounds sexist, but because they're men, and most men never get this, they don't have clue about how bad it can be when you have your period or any other problem on top of the Fibromyalgia.

Please write to me again and tell me how you're doing.
    I just put another post out today called "Well this has been a Doozie of a Day".

Kendra
  10. Empower

Empower New Member

I sympathize with you....

I can tell you that I had got a cold at the end of August and it took me ALMOST 3 weeks b4 I began to feel like my normal (if you call FMS and CFS normal) self again.

I tried going out, but almost passed out in Eckerd Drug.

This was just a bad cold and it got me down for that long!

So I know what you are going through. The only thing I can say is rest, rest, and more rest, and try not to overdo it

I think with our DD, we are NORMALLY tired, and then when we get sick, it just puts us down alot longer than "normal" people.

Good luck and hope you are feeling better soon!
  11. sdown

sdown New Member

Did you doc check you for any viruses or adrenal gland exhaustion? I had dizziness at the beginning of my CFS and they discovered I had the HHV6 virus and Addison's disease (which is adrenal gland exhaustion). Within 3 weeks of being on heparin my dizziness went away. My circulation was very poor. They should also check your sed rate. That's why I was so sluggish my circulation was terrible. This was caused by my mercury fillings starting to leak after 20 years. So Ive had them removed. Im on 25 mg a day of cortef (which is a steroid) and DHEA. Good luck to you!
  12. jaltair

jaltair New Member

Kendra, I don't understand how they could give you a counseling statement! You are covered by FMLA with a doctor's statement. That's nearly harrassment over being "disabled." That really upsets me (to hear you say that you received one).

I know what you face. I am also having trouble staying full-time and have the FMLA papers completed. I take "intermittent" time off as needed. Just today, I came home at 12:30 P for lunch and decided to take a nap as I was soooo fatigued! I didn't wake up until nearly 3 P! Hmmm.

I also (as someone stated) take "one day at a time." Don't know if I can hold out, but want to for about another 1 1/2 years. I'm somewhat older than you, 59. However, I've had FMS and CFS for a while now and now how miserable it is to have it when you are younger.

My thoughts are with you. Just know, you are not alone!

Warm wishes, Jeannette
  13. kch64

kch64 New Member

Thank you all so much for posting. I have the nervous chills right now over this. I'm getting ready to go to bed soon, so hopefully, I will sleep.

JetAir, I feel the same way. I will let you all know how it turns out.

Thanks you for the hugs. You all are in my thoughts too.

It's tough, but we can make it.

Hugs,
    Kendra
  14. kch64

kch64 New Member

Thank you for your good wishes, prayers and thoughts.

I'm very sorry for your loss. How terrible that is to lose two people you love so close together.

I'm sure the grief is doing it.

Yes, after the cold, now I have the stomach flu. You know the nasty details, so I won't be crude (smile)

Thanks again.
    Kendra

[ advertisement ]