Missing fingernail half moons!!!???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by Summerbreeze, Mar 30, 2004.

1. Summerbreeze

Summerbreeze New Member

Anyone else ever heard the theory that if you have no half moons on your fingernails it signals a protein deficiency? Mine vanished years ago and my nails are thin and weak.

This was mentioned in a reply to a post I received yesterday. I really love this board! I am learning a lot and have been given great advice and new ideas to explore.

Thanks to all, Linda
  2. little

little Member

I read that post yesterday and I noticed that I don't have any on my finger nails and toe nails but, I do have them on my thumb nails. I thought that was very interesting too.
    I stop eating red meat about twenty years ago. When I was at my doctors in February she told me to eat meat, to get some protein. I heard Sylvia Brown (physic) on Montel a few months ago say that anyone with FM needs to have a diet high in protein.
    Also over the last six months I have been getting a lot of infections in the corners of my nails. The toe nails have been starting to look very funny. After reading that post yesterday I was thinking about going to the doctor and see what was going on with my nails. I will be waiting to see if anyone posts on this topic. Gail
    [This Message was Edited on 03/31/2004]
    [This Message was Edited on 03/31/2004]
  3. fllfibro2003

fllfibro2003 New Member

until now!!!! I only have them on my thumbs also and they are very faint. I've always had very brittle nails so I can't really attribute that to this DD.

My Mom was an RN and I do remember her saying something about not having the halfmoons and vitamin deficency.

I'll have to talk to my mother-in-law, she's an RN also. Maybe she can shed some light on this.

If I find out anything I'll let ya' know.

FLlfibro
  4. little

little Member

I was just re-reading a post I read yesterday and I noticed that you wrote it. It was about amino acids.
    It sounds just like me. I went to the doctors in 1987 and took a list of symptoms that I was having about my stomach. I was about 65 lbs. over weight. I thought that my food wasn't digesting right. I didn't think that I was getting any nutrients. I told the doctor about things that you had in your article. He looked look up at me, from my list and grind at me and said 'you look malnurist. He told me to see a counselor. Just because I was over weight I couldn't possiblly be malnurist. I was so mad that I went home and lost 61 lbs in three months. If a doctor could make fun of me and not help I was going to do it my self. I have always had trouble with my stomach. I feel so much better when I don't eat much.
    The doctor that I have now says that my trouble is from FM. I am going to go back to the way I was eating in 1987 and see if that helps. I am also going to look in to this amino acid thing. Thanks for posting the article. It was very interesting. Gail
  5. Summerbreeze

Summerbreeze New Member

I also have small half moons only on my thumbs! I have started an amino acid protocol and will e-mail the doctor on this question, He has been immensely helpful on other concerns I have written him about. I WILL let you know when I get a reply.
  6. little

little Member

I would like to hear what your doctor has to say about this. Gail
  7. sarahlyao

sarahlyao New Member

they're missing from most of mine also. i have them on my thumbs, index fingers and barely my right middle finger. that's just weird. i never thought it actually meaning something.

sarah
  8. rockyjs

rockyjs Member

I only have them on my thumbs. But my nails are very healthy - no ridges, no hangnails or ingrown nails, not brittle. I have a fairly high protein diet.

My husband has myofascial pain syndrome and has huge half moons on all his nails.

Jan
  9. suggigirl

suggigirl New Member

As a Cosmetology student I can tell you that not everyone has those "white half moons". Either way it is normal. They are white because it's an air pocket in there. It's also common for someone to have them at one time and then have them disaper....or vise-versa.

On a side note.....The Mexican people say that haveing those white half moons means the person is a lair. I went to beauty school in Tucson, AZ and every Mexican/Mexican-American in my school told me this "old wives tale". Pretty funny, eh?
    suggi
  10. jadibeler

jadibeler New Member

I looked down at my nails and lo and behold, almost no half moons! They used to be there. . . again, nice ones on the thumbs.

I just went to Dogpile, put in "fingernail problems" and found some lists of conditions and what they might indicate. The general consensus of opinion on half moons, either too big, not big enough or missing, is thyroid disease. Too big, hyperthyroid, too small or missing, hypothyroid. This is interesting since my System Survey said I have thyroid problems. Just had the tests and will get the results on Weds.

Something I was going to keep an eye on and post about when I was sure is something that appears to be going on with my toenails. Definately have a fungal infection on some of them. They have a dark pink ridge along the top of the nail and down the sides. These areas become very sore to pressure, such as from shoes. They were quite extensive but last night I noticed that the redness appears to be receding - I'm wondering if this is due to my taking Oil of Oregano. . . I'll be watching them to see if it's true or just my imagination.

JoAnn
  11. Summerbreeze

Summerbreeze New Member

I never would have guessed it could have anything to do with thyroid. I am borderline low and have tried Armour thyroid but stopped taking it when I noticed no real difference in how I was feeling. I was on the lowest possible dose.

Other docs have told me that they did not think this could be my problem as I did not "look" like a thyroid patient, I am thin and have never had a weight problem. A lot of the other symptoms fit however.

I have a twin sister who DOES have a documented thyroid problem, and she is overweight by about 30 lbs. It did her no good (on synthroid) for several years until we found out about adding the cytomel. Her doc agreed to try it and the results were nothing short of amazing! She lost 20 lbs in the first several months on the combination and feels better than she has in years!

Guess I need to have this checked out again. Since we recently moved here I am in the market for a good doctor. My hubbies insurance will take effect in another 2 weeks, yeah!

Thank you again for the heads up!

Best always, Linda
  12. SPR30

SPR30 New Member

I have never had half moons under my nails. My nails were thick and healthy untll after my hyst. Not everyone has them.
  13. domiweasle

domiweasle New Member

Up until a couple of years ago, I used to have these wonderful nails. Long and strong with wonderful moons.

Then my hair turned to straw; my skin got dry; my nails were no longer strong (they broke); I became tired; lost the moons (they became pressure looking white...and many times purple, I have rynards, though a doofy neurologist incorrectly diagnosed me with carple tunnel). I complained to my Aunt who is an RN and has thyroid problems. Thyroid, she said. Well, I remembered her saying thyroid patients have thin faces, hands and ankles, but round middles. I didn''t fit that.

Then one day I noticed my middle getting larger, but face, wrists and breast bone/coller bone area looking thinner.

Went to my doc (actually, nurse practisioner). Asked her to run a thyroid test.

Came back negative.

Switch doctors.

Came back very hypothyroid (found out months later it runs on the maternal side of my family).

Compared test results (I had copies). The first test was very basic (called something like a 2.0 or 2.2). The other was more detailed. Looked for T-3, T-4 levels and other stuff.

Not sure if hypothyroidism, rynards, cfids or whatever is why I lost my moons. But it is why my nails went for great to pathetic.

I'm also curious to know the opinion on why moons leave.
  14. Seagull

Seagull New Member

I have no half moons on any of my fingernails or toenails -- only on my thumbnails, and those are very faint. But, I have had it this way my whole life, way before acquiring FMS and CMP some 11 years ago. And my lab work never shows a protein deficiency.

But, my diet has always been high in protein, whether from fish or red meat, even in childhood. So, I don't think that has been a factor in my case. But, it is a very interesting thought.

seagull
  15. Sbilek

Sbilek New Member

My fingernail moons disappeared 30 years ago, didn't really think too much about it until the iridologist brought it to my attention. She told me it indicated a calcium deficiency, at least in my case. Lots of into on the web and lots of things the missing moons could mean, including a protein deficiency.

About a month later, I had a MEA done, mineral electrolyte assessment test done which indicated my body was not assimilating protein or calcium.

I tried lots of things in the interim, (the next two years) nothing seemed to work until I took some amino acids, then my moons started coming back. I haven't had another MEA done but would like to soon and it will be interesting to see if my test results have improved.

According to the iridologist, you can have moons on your thumbs and be half dead, but it's the missing moons on the fingernails that's the indicator.

Also, I know now that you can be eating a ton of protein or taking a ton of calcium, but that doesn't necessarily mean your body is assimilating it.

Electrolytes or something along that line that opens up your cell membrane allows better assimilating of vitamins and minerals.

However, even though my moons are coming back, my fingernalis are still very brittle.

Bottom line, I do think how your fingernails look is a good indicator of things going awry in your body.
    Sbilek
  16. MemoryLane

MemoryLane New Member

At least with CFIDS. Your fingerprints sort of disappear as if they are worn away - often like those of very elderly people.

Whenever I am asked for a fingerprint, they always have to repeat it. I tell them I have very little to see much less print.

This was one of the first things my doctor asked me when he did my CFIDS exam. I told him I don't know about disappearing, but they feel slick and have very little tactile grip. He replied that's what he meant and he examined them for verification - sure enough they were and still are barely visible.

Lane
  17. jadibeler

jadibeler New Member

buy why do you keep having to give fingerprints??

I want to apologize to Suggigirl - I neglected to state in my previous post that the information I found on missing half moons did say that it can be genetic. But then, so can thyroid problems be and so many people never know they have thyroid problems because they don't know the routine tests are inaccurate (as I didn't) and just take the doctor's word for it.

You don't have to be overweight to have thryoid problems. Underweight is also an indication but there are so many subtle signs.

Very interesting about the fingerprints disappearing. I'll have to borrow my husband's inkpad and see what mine look like!

I'm also interested in the protien question. Being on a low carb diet, I live on protien, but then I always ate a lot of it. I never realized that some people can't absorb it, so I'm wondering about that now. If I'm not mistaken, I think Bromelain - taken with food - is the digestive enzyme that helps with that problem. I'm going to be starting that, but without food for hypercoagulation. Are there any other symptoms, besides the nails, which indicate a problem metabolizing protien?

JoAnn
    [This Message was Edited on 04/24/2004]