Missing Posters??

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by sisland, Oct 16, 2007.

1. sisland

sisland New Member

Where have all you guys and Gals gone to?? Ken~~~~Rockgor~~~~Lindyl~~~~Mr Dad~~~~Paulmack~~~~Therealmadscientest~~~~~Hummmm,,Maybe they all moved to Hawaii
    [This Message was Edited on 10/16/2007]
  2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

I'm here. I was just lei-ing down for a bit.

Don't know about them thar other folks. Maybe they all ran off and joined the circus like Toby Tyler.

I am trying to resurrect an old post. We'll see if it works.

How's by you?

3. sisland

sisland New Member

Rockgor! Your Here! i have been missing our Geographical Games and all your words of wisdom! I'm doin' ok! i guess!,,,,,,,,,,,,,Thanks for askin!

Been going to see my pop about once a week and then staying with my Brother and his wife sometimes,,,It's fun to get out and about but the Flares latley are TREMENDOUS!,,,,,,,,I'm off to check out your fall thread!,,,,,,,,Glad your Here!
  4. sisland

sisland New Member

There you are!! was wondering! Sorry to here of the flare! i've been doing that too!,,I hope all is well in AZ! the temps must be down by now Eh?

were down in the 30's at night and up to 60 during the day!,,,,yep the cookie's are slowing a bit,,,but thats ok ! soo Good to Hear from you!,,,,,,,,,,,Hugs! Sis
  5. therealmadscientist

therealmadscientist New Member

Guess I was just taking a short break.....or...maybe...hmmm....hummm.......uh, be back later.
  6. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

pretty cold, all right. It was 60 degrees this morning when I got up. That felt pretty chilly to someone who lives in a semi-desert.

I remember living one winter in northern Minnesota. It was about 20 below zero every night. In the daytime it would warm up to five degrees. Northern Minnesota has a whole extra month of winter compared to Southern Minnesota where I grew up.

Curious phenomanomanom. The people who lived up north did not like new people like me talking about how terrible the weather was. They were very defensive about their territory.

I guess they were afraid people would think they were stupid for living in such an inhospitable place. Well, yeah, I kinda did.

When I moved to California, people would ask about Minnesota winters. I told them I had seen it so cold that if it warmed up 60 degrees it would still be below freezing.

People found this hard to believe. Then I discovered that most of them thought freezing was zero degrees. Like the man said, you can't argue w/ ignorance.

Put some kibble out for the cats a few minutes ago. Just heard a dish being pushed around. Went to check. Yup, it was one of the skunks.

There are two. The smaller one scuttles away when I open the door. The bigger one just keeps right on munching. Nothing fazes him/her.

Now and then, for variety, a possom or raccoon shows up. All this in the heart of a 12,000,000 people urban area.

7. sisland

sisland New Member

Ok our Scientest is still on board! Good! We might need some lab work done!,,,,,,Also Mr.B you are very smart in alot of areas!,,,,,,,,,,

Rockgor~~~~~ I myself can relate to the Frozen North winters! although MN. can be alittle more fridgid than Montana!,,,,,,,I always say i'm moving south but never do!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,It's not uncommon for us to have below zero temps but not for a month at a time,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,BRRRRR! That's so kool that you have (Skunks?) come to your back door to eat kibble and bits?,,,,,,You also have cats too right? ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,S
  8. boltchik

boltchik New Member

Thanks for posting this Sis, I was wondering where some of our fellow posters are myself. Hope the rest show up soon, they are missed!!

Rock-I had a little skunk family living under our first home, when I lived in San Diego about 9 years ago. Yep, skunks in the middle of a huge city. There was a canyon down the street from us, that is where I think they must have come from.

I don't know how long they were there for, but one night I heard something out back. I peered out the window and a Mom, Dad and baby skunk were out and about. The baby was super cute! Then, my neighbor told me she had seen the 3 of them before walking across our front lawn at night, on several occasions. So, who knows how long they were there, but after a pipe burst underneath the house, I am sure they moved! Hope you had a fantastic day! Kim :)
    [This Message was Edited on 10/16/2007]
  9. Pottersclay

Pottersclay New Member

Some here are lucky to be missed.
  10. Khalyal

Khalyal New Member

I missed you! Here's your hug....

11. therealmadscientist

I visited Northern Wisconsin once. In late summer, everyone was wearing parkas at the Labor Day barbecue and the dogs water bowl froze overnight. It was interesting and memorable.

12. therealmadscientist

I visited Northern Wisconsin once. In late summer, everyone was wearing parkas at the Labor Day barbecue and the dogs water bowl froze overnight. It was interesting and memorable.

Oh, here in the Sierras, I see deer almost everynight on the way home. Two days ago, I had a close call when almost ran my bicyle over a skunk on the same path I was on. He got a little upset but I was able to veer around him. If I ever disappear from the board it may be because I got eaten by a mountain lion, so you should hear about on news. People here seem to develop a pride about how dangerous the animal in their backyard was last night.
    Cheers, mr Bill

Hmmm, I haven't seen any raccoons, pheasants, coyotes, or porcupines around here. Maybe they are not protected by convention or law. Come to think of it, maybe no one shoots bears in back yard because too difficult to get rid of 300 lb body.

[This Message was Edited on 10/17/2007]
  13. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

Good to hear from ALL of you guys!!!! I'm glad sisland made this post. We miss folks when they are gone for a while.

14. sisland

sisland New Member

It's so great to hear from you all!,,,,we are still missing,,,,Ken and Paulmack! hope all is well with you 2 also!,,,,,,,,,will type more when my hands will let me!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Hugs!,,,,,S
  15. Pottersclay

Pottersclay New Member

Thanks Khayal....

Some days a good hug is needed.
  16. sisland

sisland New Member

Speaking of skunks!,,,,once when the girls were little we had a family of them that lived in the field behinde our house,,,,,,,,

It was a Mom and 4 babies,,,,,,and i kid you not they would all travel in single file behinde their Mom ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,It was soooo Cute!

we were lucky that they never got under the Skirting of our Mobile Home ,,,,,,,,The Neighbors were not so lucky however,,,,,,,,,They got under their skirting and sprayed a few times!,,,,,,

The guy that lived there was always trying to shoot them with a bb gun!,,,,,,Finally the fish and Game guys came and trapped them and relocated them!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Relief!
  17. laceymae

laceymae New Member

We had a pet skunk once. When we were little we were on a family ride and seen a baby skunk, Mom and my aunt said if we could catch it we could keep it...well they didn't think we could.

Took it home and Dad took it to the vet and had the scent bags removed, it was so neat. It was litter trained like a cat.

oh well...us hillbilly's have strange pets.
    Mom had a pet fox that she kept in her basement.

now we just have cats and dogs...
  18. Khalyal

Khalyal New Member

A long time ago I used to work in a pet store, and we would get skunks in once a year. They make great pets! We'd always have them sold before they even got there. Every year we had a waiting list.

One year, when the skunks got there we called the people who had already paid for them. We put the skunks that were waiting to be picked up in individual puppy crates, with signs on the cages that had the name of who they belonged to. They were behind glass, where all the customers could see them.

A couple of customers just bust out laughing at the one in the cage with the "James Brown" sign on it.
  19. laceymae

laceymae New Member

the fox was before my time...she had it before she had us kids...probably wishes she had stuck with the fox...

funny how these posts can get totally off the topic of the orginal
  20. sisland

sisland New Member

Great skunk stories!,,,,,Poor Dar!,,,I don't think there is nothing worse than getting sprayed by a skunk!!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,We had dogs that would come home from being sprayed whe we were kids!,,,,,,,and always see and smell "Dead Skunk(S) in the middle of the road" ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Remember that song?,,,,

Since i'm a hillbilly toooo,,(Lacey) ,,,,,My Mom had a young Fawn Deer for a pet when she was growing up and also my Dad has stories of Bear Cubs that had been left behinde by the sow mother ,,,that He and his brothers and sisters kept for 2 years as pets,,,,,,,,,,,,Thats illegeal now! Fun to read all your stories!,,,,,,S