Moderators/Techies: What Happens to 'Hanging' Log-In?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by LittleBluestem, Aug 23, 2005.

1. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

My computer locked up a couple of hours ago and I had to shut it down. I decided to do some others things before coming back on-line.

When I restarted my computer, I had to reconnect to my ISP. When I came to this site I found that I was still logged on. Are 'hanging' log-ins in danger of being high-jacked? Should I have restarted my computer immediately and come back here and logged off before going to other things?
    [This Message was Edited on 08/24/2005]
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

You are logged on here until it times out. I don't know that this is dangerous; I don't think it is. It is a good practice to get into to log off or at least close programs before shutting down one's computer.

Most all programs, including e-mail, work like this.

It is a good practice to pull the phone line or shut off the modem when you are not using your computer. One of the most dangerous times for a computer is when the computer is shut off and the phone line or external modem is still hooked up. Hackers can break into the computer and take it over.

Having really good firewall software and a physical firewall in one's modem is the best protection. BTW, it isn't necessary to shut down one's computer every night. Mine has been running nonstop for three years except when I am gone for several days or when I am installing new software or updates. It's harder on a computer to be turning it off and on than it is to run it all the time.

The thing which uses power is the monitor. Be sure to turn it off unless your computer "goes to sleep" and causes the monitor to sleep too. Those plugs for things like the speakers and wi-fi connections which are big chunky plugs also use power even when everything is asleep. Unplugging them is a good idea when they are not in use. I never plug in my speakers unless I need to listen to something. When I am through with the computer, I not only shut down the modem, I unplug the wi-fi.

Love, Mikie
  3. LittleBluestem

I know it is a good practice to close all programs before shutting down, but yesterday I did not have any choice. Nothing was responding.

I did not realize that hackers could get into the computer while it was shut off. I will definitely be pulling the phone line whenever I am not on-line from now on.

I have also been booting up and shutting down the computer several times a day. I will unplug the speakers, which I almost never use, and leave it running. While the monitor will ‘go to sleep’ after a time, I will just shut it off when I leave the computer (when I remember). I don’t have wi-fi. Doesn’t the modem shut itself down when I disconnect from my ISP? If not, I do not know how to shut it off as it is an internal modem.
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

And you don't need to shut them down. Mine is external because my computer uses cable instead of phone lines. If you unhook the phone line, you are OK. I can shut off my external modem and I do when I'm not using my computer. I shut down the wi-fi just so that no one driving around with a hot laptop will not know there is a signal here. They can piggy back onto it and it's not that secure. Mine does let me know if someone not authorized to use my signal tries to access it. Also, the wi-fi has a transformer which uses power all the time. I hate to waste electricity.

I love the wi-fi because I can take my laptop with me to the livingroom or even use it in bed. When I was really sick and in bed a lot, I used it all the time. I can access the internet at hot spots in airports, although, I have not used it there.

Love, Mikie
  5. LittleBluestem

It’s the brain fog, don’t you know. Yesterday afternoon I dutifully unplugged the speakers, shut off the monitor, pulled the phone line and left the computer running.

Later in the evening I came in, turned on the monitor, started the dial-up process, and went to the kitchen for something. When I came back expecting to find the connection to my ISP completed, there was still the little box that says ‘dialing’ and nothing was happening. Oh, I remembered, I unplugged the phone line. Over I went to plug the phone line back in, the back to the computer to listen to for the sound of dialing. Still nothing! Then I remembered that I had unplugged the speakers. I waited a bit more and the connection was made.

It’s going to take some time to get the new routine down.