Moducare for immune system (& PEM?)

Discussion in 'Energy' started by mbofov, May 21, 2013.

1. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I'm going to post this on both the energy and immune system threads.

Moducare is a combination of plant sterols and sterolins in a specific ratio which is supposed to be very beneficial for the immune system (there are a lot of very good on-line reviews for this product). I recently started taking it for my own beleaguered immune system (chronic sinus infections), and it really does seem to be helping. Also, the price is reasonable, amazingly enough.

But it may benefit more than the immune system. Here's a link to a very interesting article about DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) which generally afflicts athletes who overtrain etc.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/south127.htm

I was struck by the words "delayed onset" - just like PEM. The article states that DOMS is caused by inflammation, unlike regular muscle soreness which is caused by microscopic muscle tears. If you read near the bottom of the article, it talks about systemic enzymes and plant sterols as agents to combat DOMS. The article also talks about plant sterols increasing T cell and CD4 activity, and decreasing levels of interleukin 6, an inflammatory cytokine - sound familiar? Just what we are supposed to be dealing with in connection with CFS.

I asked Rich Van K about this once, and he said that he thought CFS was a form of DOMS - though he never wrote about on the forum.

A couple of years ago I tried taking a systemic enzyme product and sitosterols with no effect, apart from some detoxing from the enzymes. So I gave up on this. But the Moducare does seem to be helping my immune system - it's noticeable. And from what I read, it's because of the combination of sterols and sterolins, which was not in the product I previously tried. So I am wondering (though don't dare hope yet) if it might be of some help in preventing or lessening the severity of my PEM crashes. It's too soon to tell. Also, I've restarted an enzyme product called Sorenzyme by Labrada, which I'm tolerating okay now, no detoxing.

I get sick every time I crash. I also get sick in between crashes. Anyways, if inflammation from exercise screws up my immune system and causes me to get sick as well as causing the crash, it seems to indicate the Moducare and the enzymes just might help with both these things.

I'm crossing my fingers though it seems to good to be true. But if the Moducare just helps my immune system, that alone would be a very good thing!

Mary
  2. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

Diane - I am trying to remember the name of the health food store where we used to get Moducare. I believe there were two kinds. DH took one kind for cholesterol. There is also another one too. I am trying to remember the name of the health food store where we used to get it. He doesn't take it any more. It did OK for cholesterol for while years ago. Now he is taking something else. Just wanted to let you know that they did have it in Health Food Stores , at least some time ago.

Hope this does help some. You could probably get it on line to if you wanted to try it.

Mary - Thanks for posting. Let us all know how it works. I'll try some things once and other things 2x to see if they will help something :)!!

Blessings,
    Marilyn
  3. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Hi Diane - I think you're right, I think plant sterols are supposed to be good for lowering cholesterol. I posted this in both the energy and immune system sections, as I thought it applied to both. I found Moducare in my local health food store, and also have now ordered it on-line. I think ProHealth even carries it. I heard about it because it was mentioned in an old post here that someone had bumped up recently, from a couple of years ago.

Wow, you've been through the wringer with gluten sensitivity! Our doctors need so much education re nutrition etc. and they just don't have it. We've got to be our own advocates and researchers.

You might try coconut oil for your recurrent yeast infections. It's very potent against yeast. I would start with one tablespoon and work up to two a day. I did this several years ago and it caused a very strong herx reaction but it worked. You can also apply it topically but internally it will kill candida and other fungus.

Good luck with everything!

Mary
  4. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Hi Marilyn - I will post how I do on this. I'm crossing my fingers, I've tried so many things. But again, if it just helps my immune system, that would be fabulous. Take care -

Mary
  5. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

Hi Diane and Mary,

Hope all is well with you and that you are feeling better, Diane. Hope the Moducare helps you both. Just wanted to tell you that you should be able to find it in Health Food Stores . I'm sure you can get it on line too.

Hugz,
    Granni
  6. jaminhealth

jaminhealth Well-Known Member

I got my Moducare today and see it contains Maritime pine as does Pycnogenol which is made up of Maritime Pine Bark Extract.....Pyc was my 1st powerful antoixidant back in 1995 when it was first introduced into the U.S. from France....wonder how similar they are.....I still buy Pycnogenol from time to time...