Moist heat vs Dry heat what's better?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kriket, Mar 20, 2006.

1. kriket

kriket New Member

Has anyone tried moist heating pads? If so, did they work better than dryheat.
  2. onnaroll

onnaroll New Member

hi hun moist heat for sure, but never used a moist heating pad, i just use warm wash cloth on mine, it works great! also if pain real bad use ice then heat. gl2u onna

ps jb i just have never tried one,im sure they work great[This Message was Edited on 03/21/2006]
  3. jbennett2

jbennett2 New Member

why not a moist heating pad? My heating pad has a removable sponge and I use it all the time. My doc and chiro say it is OK.
  4. kch64

kch64 New Member

My Chiropractor said that anyone experiencing pain should always use moist heat.

He said that dry heat actually increases pain.

I like moist heat better too.

K.
  5. bettydroop

bettydroop New Member

I say moist heat too, what is really good is something called a "Thermaphore" which is just like a heating pad but with moist heat. It is incredible! Just put that name in search and it will take you right to somewhere that you can get one.
  6. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

I like moist heat over dry. I also like ice packs-it helps to numb the painful area for awhile.

Ellen
  7. fairydust39

fairydust39 New Member

I use Battle Creek Thermophore Auto moist heat pack. You need no water with this heating pad. It is 14" by 27" and comes with a washable flannel cover. You can get it at Walgreens or on line at Medex supply for $49.14 with free shipping. It cost more at Walgreens. You will never be sorry for getting this heating pad! I have had many over the years and none were even half as good as this one. You can buy it in a smaller pad but the large size is much much better !!
    Hugs Shirley
  8. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

Moist Heat Most Definitely.....used moist heat on neck area before and after surgeries.....worked great....had one that I placed in the microwave...felt great!

BlueSky555
  9. mme_curie68

mme_curie68 New Member

I think moist heat is better - dry heat dehydrates the muscles and can make you feel worse.

Ice is theoretically better overall for pain due to inflammation because it helps reduce the inflammation due to constriction of the blood vessels, etc. in the immediate area.

Since heat expands vessels they can be more "leaky" and contribute to increase the inflammation and exacerbate the injury. But on the pro side, heat helps to relax the muscles.

I am terribly cold intolerant though, and I would much rather use heat than icing even if it is the "wrong" thing to do...
  10. kriket

kriket New Member

Thanks to everyone for your input. I have been using dry heat, but I think I need to try moist heat.

Thanks Again
    Kriket