Mold - Need diagnostic advice please!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kat211, Sep 26, 2010.

1. kat211

kat211 New Member

Hi all, it's been a while since I posted, mainly b/c my life has been so hectic that I'm lucky to have 5 minutes of quiet to myself.

The sinus culture I had done at my ENT's office has come back positive for aspergillius mold. I am still waiting on the results of the treatment cultures. B/C of this, the mediation for my lawsuit for fraud against the people I bought my house for has been delayed, again. I have been dealing with this for 13 months and I am about to snap, almost did last night.

Anyhow, I have appts w/my new PCP, endocrinologist, and ENT next week. I need to know what specific tests I should ask for. I absolutely MUST get indesputible evidence that I have mold sickness so that I can win my case. Yes, the mold in the sinuses will help, but I need more.

The stress of this is making my fibro flare, which is making everything else worse.
  2. Lono83

Lono83 New Member

Sorry to hear about the rough times that you are going through. I'm definitely not a lawyer, but my understanding is that it can be very difficult to win mold illness claims against landlords and property owners. I believe some cases where Dr. Shoemaker has testified as an expert witness have been successful, but I've also heard that it's not uncommon for his testimony to get thrown out because of a Daubert challenge (i.e. that his expert testimony is not supported by scientific fact). My personal opinion is that Dr. Shoemaker's findings are based on science, but my opinions of his research have no weight in a legal case. . .

If you are pursuing litigation I'd make sure to ask your lawyers how any experts testifying for you are going to survive a Daubert motion.

Dr. Shoemaker determination of mold illness is detailed here. I don't believe he uses aspergillius sinus cultures. --

Research Committee Report on Diagnosis and Treatment of Chronic Inflammatory Response Syndrome Caused by Exposure to the Interior Environment of Water-Damaged Buildings
  3. kaymac

kaymac New Member

I have Allergic Fungal Sinusitis. I'm severly allergic to Mold, aspergillus and culvelaria (think that is spelled right). It's an immune reaction and not necessarily caused by living around or in Mold. Even tho it would be important to get away from it. From aspergillus lives in pot plants and in soils and is hard to stay away from completely.

My diag was based on several cultures and years of being sick with incurable sinus infections that do NOT clear up with antibiotics. AFS is only managed with steroids, surgeries, and help from an allergist.

Either way, I hope your problems are not life long and incurable. Not every ENT can deal with AFS either.

I'd be curious as to what your symptoms and/or complaints are. I do wish you the best as well.
  4. kat211

kat211 New Member

I have photographic proof that the people I bought the house from covered up the mold. I also have been searching for the former occupants of the home and found a couple of them last night and I am going to contact them for a signed affidavit telling the condition of the home prior to it being foreclosed on and the people I bought it from buying it.

I have been doing a great deal of the leg work b/c my attorney knows I am an unemployed single mom w/serious health conditions unrelated and related to the condition of this house. They are being very upfront about the legal costs and how I can keep them low. They are trying to do everything they can to get me a settlement and keep me out of trial as that will cost $60-75k, which I don't have.

I am going to research the tests you talked about and try to get my dr to run them for me.

The cultures from my sinus swab were positive for aspergillius (sp?) and I am waiting for a fungal specific compounded prescription that is being prepared especially for me based on results of a sensitivity test on the cultures (or something close as I haven't been sleeping so I might have gotten that a bit confused)

I know it is the house that is causing a lot of my symptoms b/c when I leave I don't feel as bad and my symptoms are much worse in the winter when the house is closed up.
  5. penri

penri New Member

I am in a similar situation and am currently trying to find out if I have any legal case. I bought a mold remidiated home that has made my entire family horribly ill. I'm the worst, but my husband went deaf in one ear and has terrible sinus issues. I'm still waiting on the results for my kids. Clearly our house was not remidiated properly, but I don't know if I can go back on anyone. We are currently living with family because we can't afford to do anything else. As far as tests to have run. I had a C4A and C3A, VIP, MMP-9, MSH, IGG, and HLA susceptibility. I had many, many others done as well but these are the ones that came back the worst and most telling.
  6. kat211

kat211 New Member

What are all the susceptibilities you listed? What do they mean and how were you tested for them? Have you seen an attorney? Are there any guaruntees in the paperwork you received on your home?

I just went back to the endocrinologist and began begging him to find what is wrong with me. I have gained 65lbs in the past 13 months and even though I eat better than the nutritionists I have been sent to, keep my calories at or under 1000 every day, and exercise for an hour 5-7 days a week, I can't loose any of the weight and my extreme fatigue/exhaustion is simply getting worse. I am pushing myself much harder than my fibro sees fit, but I am desperate. I sometimes cry while I am on my elliptical.

My ENT found mold growing in my sinuses and I am now on a horrible antifungul rinse that I have to do 2xs a day, and it is rifidgerated. It costs $55 for 2 weeks and I have to do it for 3 weeks, at least until the dr realizes it isn't workign b/c I am still in the house.

My endo is convinced that my problems are caused by the mold, but he said it is going to be a very difficult job of connecting the two and treating it while I am in the house.

At this point I think I spend more time in my bed than my sheets. Please keep me up to date on your situation.
  7. kat211

kat211 New Member

Well, my atty didn't sound very positive today when I talked to him about getting the ball rolling. I am having to shell out $462.50 for my ENT to write a letter about my condition as he sees it and that it is caused by mold. I am so desperate to get this going b/c w/the cold coming and having to close up the house I am only going to get worse. I also refuse to turn on the furnace b/c it will only spread more mold. At this rate we are going to have to move into the living room and seal of the rest of the bedrooms so that we can stay warm with portable heaters.
  8. babyk902

babyk902 New Member

Wow, this really hits home right now. I'm going through the same thing, dealing with mold, except it was from my work environment. We had a couple major floods in the office (w/ no ventilation) and of course, it just happened to be right under my carpeted desk, and didn't dry for weeks.

My company decided to clean the carpets, which I don't believe did anything but make it worse. At this point every doctor (ENT, Neurologist, Physician) has told me to get out of the office immediately, so I did tell them I could no longer work in the office and am currently working from home, but they don't think there is mold and they think I am completely insane. I was wondering how you had a culture done at the ENT also? My ENT told me that they couldn't, or didn't, do that? I know the issues I'm dealing with are mold because I've seen a couple holistic doctors and the ONLY remedies that are helping are anti-fungal/anti-mold.

How are you doing symptom-wise? Am just curious what some of your symptoms are? I have had some majorly debilitating dizziness and "out of it" feeling, memory issues, confusion, and migraines. I haven't been at the office in atleast a week, but I'm not feeling much better, which is really scaring and frustrating.

Wish you the best of luck -- wish I could sue my employer, but I'm told it's a really complicated process, and at this point, I just need to get out of there and move on with my life.