Mold questions

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by krissy888, Dec 10, 2006.

  1. krissy888

    krissy888 New Member

    Hi,
    I have a basement that alway gets flooded when it rains heavily and we have pumps that pump the water out. It still is wet in there afterwards though. Do you think there is a possibility that mold is growing in our basement? It smells musty in there all the time.

    I have fibro. How do you get tested for mold in your body?
    Is there a special test for this? I am also allergic to mold according to my allergy testing. My husband has no problems though.

    Thanks for any info.
  2. TKE

    TKE New Member

    Here in my little town in central PA all of the homes have wet basements. According to info we sit on top of a river that's deep under us. High humidity in summer also adds to moisture in the basements to the point it's dripping off the pipes/etc. Too much rain & it seeps up thru the basment floor. One year it got so bad I had 12 inch high mushrooms & fungus growing on the floor!

    In summer I open the basement windows & run a box fan on low 24 x 7 to keep the dampness out. For winter we had a register put on the furnace to throw some heat into the basment to keep it dry. Since our basement, like, many here, are still dirt floor we put a layer of lime down & then put limestone over it.

    If you're smelling a musty smell then you probably have mold growing some place. It'll often get intothe walls too. This can be a major health problem. You need to get it aired out & keep air moving to keep it dry so the mold doesn't grow. Wash down what you can with clorox water.

    Sorry I can't offer any suggestions on testing.



  3. ellikers

    ellikers New Member

    I would love to know of a test for mold exposure because i'm pretty sure my illness was triggered by living in a humid and poorly ventilated studio apartment where mold grew on the walls and around my bed.

    I've had mold and moisture problems in almost every house I have lived in since being a student, and I think the total is 4 now.

    I had an allergy test, but I tested negative for an allergy to mold, but I think that people can still get sick or otherwise affected by living near mold even if they aren't allergic.

    Wish I had more information to help you .... I did some internet searches for "sick building syndrome" and mold levels in housing, but found there is almost nothing I can do as someone who rents besides movingo out of unhealthy places.

    If you own, you can get tests to check the types of mold or levels of moisture in our basement, or you can check behind the walls to see what sort of damage is in the structure of the house, and then you can find ways to fix it.

    THe only recourse I get is to complain to my landlord, wait to see if he does anything, and then move out when nothing is fixed or when the solution involves ripping down the walls that are filled with mold and releasing it all into the air I breathe.

    Best wishes!
    - Ellikers
  4. LongStruggle

    LongStruggle Guest

    There are lab kits that you can order that test for mold. They send you some lab plates and you send them back and they will test the plates for mold. These are available from many places. The one I'm familiar with is from the National Allergy Federation/Foundation (I don't remember the exact name; do a google search). I never tested my home, but I have several air purifiers. Mold allergy is one of my key problems.
  5. kriket

    kriket New Member



    There is a good chance that there could be mold in your basement. My b/f just remodeled his bathroom and it always had a musty smell and had water leaks.


    When they gutted the bathroom, there was black mold all around the tub area. There really was not a very good back splash and it was not waterproof, so mold was growing behind the walls. You really need to see if you can get it checked out. That mold can be dangerous.

    Kriket
  6. ellikers

    ellikers New Member

    bumping up
  7. wrthster

    wrthster New Member

    You can get a test for mold in your body, it is called a micology panel. I think Immuno Science Laboratory used to offer it, now have it on hold, and will be back sometime in 2007. You can check Quest Diagnositcs also, they may offer a mycology panel as well.
  8. Chris3251

    Chris3251 New Member

    Oh how I've been through that nightmare - but I had NO idea that mold contributed to FMS, that may actually be a contributing factor to my situation.

    Unfortunately I learned alot about mold. First of all there are numerous types of mold, black mold is the most dangerous. Even if its not visible to the eyes, it can actually be IN the walls. Alot of people try to clean it up themselves...HUGE mistake because it is so deadly, plus you can actually make the spores air-borne which quickly spread throughout the entire house. I had problems primarily in my basement due to several basement floods. That problem was fixed, but even still it's a damp basement so I put in a dehumidifier.

    I made the mistake of trying to clean up the mold myself but to no avail, so I hired a contractor who charged around $2K for mold remediation. If you ever have to go this route make sure they're listed with the BBB, Angie's List, whatever it takes. The clowns I used sounded like they really knew what they were doing. About 2 weeks after they worked on my basement I noticed mold coming through the walls again, so I made them come out a second time. Guess what, they still didn't get it right but by the time I realized it they were out of business! And what I didn't know was in addition to the black mold on the walls I had brown mold on the rafters of the basement. It was an absolute nightmare!

    There are test kits to determine what type of mold you're dealing with. Maybe I'm just tired, but I wonder where you would go to get a kit that can test if you have mold in your body?
  9. happycanuk

    happycanuk New Member

    I am super sensitive to mold. Can smell it a mile away. As soon as I come in contact with it I get a raging headache and just feel horrible. Damp basements can be smelled throughout the whole house. If you have mold, you need to get rid of it. Mold can be fatal.