MOLD!!! Sick Building Syndrome....

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by star273, Jan 23, 2009.

  1. star273

    star273 New Member

    I took your advice and took the Biotoxin vision test... I tested 99% positive... I printed it out. Now what should I do? I am taking the tests to my Dr. next week, but where do I go from here? How do you get rid of the toxins in your body? I know obviously getting out of the building, but what other things can I do???

    I am kind of nervous about all this...
  2. richvank

    richvank New Member

    Hi, star273.

    I'm glad you took the visual contrast sensitivity test. Now you have evidence that there are biotoxins in your brain. I am not a licensed physician, and cannot give individual treatment advice unless a physician is directly involved to review any suggestions I make, but I can tell you that Dr. Shoemaker treats mold illness with cholestyramine. I don't know if your physician will be familiar with this or not. I know that Dr. Shoemaker does consultations with physicians, so that if your physician is willing, he/she could call his office and find out about that, or you could call yourself and find out how to do it. He's in Pocomoke City, Maryland, and his office number is (410) 957-1550. I hope this helps.

  3. Forebearance

    Forebearance Member

    Hi Star!

    I'm so glad you took that test. I also got a 99% positive result on it.

    After I did that, I read "Mold Warriors" and most of Dr. Shoemaker's websites.

    Next I sent a tiny sample of the mold to Mould-Works to be tested. I was curious about what kinds of mold were in my apartment and the spot of mold was right there in plain sight. You can decide if you feel like doing this. It's not necessary.

    Then the next thing I did was I looked at this web page: and found out what I would need to get a phone consult between my doctor and Dr. Shoemaker. i decided to ask my doctor if I could have the tests listed on that page. If Dr. Shoemaker uses them to diagnose people, then they must be a good biotoxin panel of tests, I reasoned.

    My doctor didn't know anything about mold poisoning, but she's a good doctor and she works with me like a partner, so she agreed. We ended up having me do all the blood tests, but not the nasal swab one (but I could still do it in the future if it seems needed.)

    When my results came back, they were really clear. I had one mold susceptible genotype so it followed that mold toxins were my problem. I moved, started over with fresh stuff, and began taking soluble fiber and cholestyramine to bind to the toxins and remove them.

    I'm still detoxing away. It has been about six months since I moved out. I feel like a human being again.

    I agree that this is pretty scary. It's a big unknown at first. It helped me to read everything I could. It helped to compare experiences with other people who are going through the same thing.

    If you want, you can try an over the counter product. Soluble fiber or phytosterols are supplements that will bind with toxins in your intestines and escort them out. You can experiment and see if they have an effect on how you feel. When I tried Promise Active Supershots, I was amazed at their effect. (they were an inexpensive way to try phytosterols)

    It does take courage to do all this.

    What made me gather up the courage to do it was that I was really tired of being sick.

    I'll be thinking of you.


  4. green-eyed lady

    green-eyed lady New Member

    I lived in an old old "remoled" house for about 2 or2 1/2 yrs. I started to get sick. I ran a
    low grade fever and felt flu-like. Then I moved to a new duplex. And all of my symptoms
    went away. Looking back, I realize that I had been exposed to mold in-between the walls.
    After I got ME/FM, I moved to a new apt. and my ME/FM was getting better. But when my boyfriend's mother died, we decided to move into her house, in another state. I've lived in this
    house (built in 1940) for 6 yrs. now and I have proressively gotten worse. And I know exactly why----MOLD TOXIN inbetween the walls. My boyfriend says there is NO mold toxin there, but I know there is and there is nowhere else I can go. It's starting to depress me too, I really don't want to live "HERE" anymore.
  5. Lono83

    Lono83 New Member

    You can print out this recent scholarly medical journal article and show it to your doctor. The article is about pediatric patients, but it's applicable to adults.

    “Exposure to Interior Environments of Water-Damaged Buildings Causes a CFS-like Illness in Pediatric Patients: A Case/Control Study” by Ritchie C. Shoemaker, MD and Margaret S. Maizel.

    Bulletin of the IACFS/ME (a peer-reviewed, scholarly medical journal)

  6. lynncats

    lynncats New Member

    How and where do you take this biotoxin visin test....I was exposed to mold in a building I worked in. My symptoms started while in this building, this was in 2004. In Feb. 2009 I was Dx'd with FM. I mentioned the mold thing to my rheumy, but she just looks at me like I'm crazy. Any info would be appreciated. Take Care!!

  7. richvank

    richvank New Member

    Hi, Lynn.

    You can take this test on your computer by going to, which is Dr. Shoemaker's site. It costs a few dollars with a credit card. You register (upper left corner) first, and then you take a quiz and run the VCS test. You get an immediate response as to your results.

    Some doctors also have the chart to use in their offices. It's probably more accurate when done with the chart, but if your computer has good spatial resolution, the online version works well.

    Best regards,

  8. lynncats

    lynncats New Member

    thank you so much for the info. I actually went to the site and started by taking the quiz, it came back that I'm positive. Now I will do the visual test, when hubby gets home, I've got to use his m/c for payment. I'm sooooo curious to see what the vision part says. Take care and once again thank you.


[ advertisement ]