Mold

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by philsr, Feb 22, 2003.

  1. philsr

    philsr New Member

    I noticed some comments about mold. I have noticed a plant my wife has in the house that is covered with mold on the soil. Could this be making me feel worse than usual? I have been feeling very bad lately, sometimes seem to have trouble getting enough oxygen to breathe.

    Phil
  2. Plantscaper

    Plantscaper New Member

    If it is just on the surface of the soil and/or in a clay pot (on the outside of the pot) it is probably just a buildup of excessive fertilizer salts...you just need to leach it out of the soil by watering it quite a few times until it disappears...it should be a whitish crusty type color...it is not mold...you can have sooty mould but that is on the leaves and it is greyish, and powdery mildew is also on the leaves, and it is whitish but not on the soil... I am not, however, downplaying the problem with mold, but depending on where you live, that would be more of a problem than on houseplants.. I am highly allergic to mold allergens, but a DEHUMIDIFER would be your best bet on controlling mold spores..I moved out of the "moldy" South to a much drier climate so I don't have as much problem with that as you would if you live in a high humid area. LOL, AMELIA[This Message was Edited on 02/22/2003]
    JUST ONE MORE THOUGHT: Healthy soil should never have mold. Of course, different plants have differing water needs, but overall, they say most people water too much..it is actually healthy for plants to dry out..for differing periods of time based on the plant..When they dry out, air is being supplied to the roots and that is as important as water. They need to breathe, like us..jUST ONE MORE THOUGHT: PLANTS SUPPLY OXYGEN, AND TAKE IN YOUR CARBON DIOXIDE, so actually being around plants should increase your oxygen level... Now, I'm thru, I hope.. LOL, AMELIA[This Message was Edited on 02/22/2003]
  3. philsr

    philsr New Member

    THANKS FOR RESPONDING AND SORRY FOR UPPERCASE BUT KEYBOARD IS ACTING UP. IT WAS MOLD ON TOP OF SOIL AND AFTER POSTING, I NOTICED IT WAS GONE. SHE HAD BEEN DOING SOMETHING WITH THEM TODAY AND IT JUST JOLTED MY MEMORY ABOUT SEEING IT AFTER READING POST ABOUT MOLD. I HAVE BEEN HAVING SOME REALLY BAD DAYS AND AM LOOKING FOR SOMETHING TO HELP. AND TRYING TO LOWER PAIN MED BECAUSE OF LOSING INS. AND IT ISN'T WORKING VERY WELL. I FEEL ALMOST LIKE I HAVE BEEN POISONED SOMETIMES, JUST TINGLE ALL OVER. AND LEGS ARE HURTING A LOT. THERE NOW, THAT WAS A NICE VENT. I FEEL MUCH BETTER(NOT).
  4. Dara

    Dara New Member

    I also am very allergic to molds. I was working in a building that was literally making me sick. I had the Fibromyalgia before I ever went to work there, but I know that being in that environment is what caused the Fibromyalgia to get so bad. It use to come and go, but after the mold exposure it is a "constant" in my life now. After I quit because of being so sick and complaining that I thought the building was a contributing factor, they had the building tested and it was so full of mold that they shut it down immediately and nobody was allowed back in. I tried filing a workers comp claim since that is what made the fibromyalgia worsen, but of course I lost because it's almost impossible to prove.

    Dara