Molluscum contagiosum

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Barbie56, Nov 11, 2006.

1. Barbie56

Barbie56 New Member

PLEASE HELP!!! I am so concerned about my 25 year old son.
    He was just told that he has molluscum contaiosum. He was living with a girl but they broke up about 11 months ago. About 3 months ago he noticed a small spot on his belly and then a couple on his genitals. The doctor said that this is what he has and that if he puts this creame on it , that it should clear up in a couple of months. But he is very upset because it also saids that it could take
    years. He is also alittle confused because it usually shows up within 2 to 6 months after contracted it. It has been longer and people with alot of immuned problems get it worst. He has allergys and asthma. He is now worried that he has HIV. Even thought I keep telling him that you don't have to have that to contract this virus. He is havig a bad time because he is so depressed and so are we.
    I found this company that makes this treatment that is made up of Nano siver and tea tree oil. I heard that this silver is very good for virus. Does anyone know anything about this stuff? Barb
  2. kjfms

kjfms Member

I am not sure if I am going to be of much help or not but here is some very good information which may be of some help.

I do hope you son will accept that this does NOT mean he has HIV -- Molluscum Contagiosum is more severe in people who do have HIV.

If your son suspects he may have been infected with the HIV virus he does need to be tested and really should make an appoint with his physician for testing and to discuss this entire matter.

I really wish your entire family the best of luck. I do hope you all are worrying for nothing...

This is rather long but very informative and you might want to print it for your son to read it may give you both a little peace -- I hope :)

Original article:
    http://www.webmd.com/hw/skin_and_beauty/aa18146.asp

Molluscum Contagiosum

What is molluscum contagiosum?

Molluscum contagiosum is a viral infection of the skin that causes small pearly or flesh-colored bumps.

The bumps may be clear, and the center is often indented (umbilicated). The virus is easily spread (contagious) but is not harmful.

However, in people with impaired immune systems, such as HIV infection, the bumps can be extensive and disfiguring and are often considered a sign of late-stage disease.

What are the symptoms?

The small, round, indented bumps are usually about 3 mm(0.1 in.) to 5 mm(0.2 in.) in size (a little smaller than a pencil eraser).

They may appear alone or in groups. They are most often found on the trunk, face, eyelids or genital area.

In children, bumps usually appear on the trunk, face, and arms. In sexually active teenagers and young adults, the bumps are usually located in the genital area.

The bumps may become inflamed and turn red as part of the body's natural immune system response as it fights the virus. Eczema often develops around the bumps.

The incubation period—the time from exposure to the virus until bumps develop—is usually 2 to 7 weeks but can be up to 6 months.3

In people who have an impaired immune system, such as HIV infection, symptoms of molluscum contagiosum are more severe.

How does molluscum contagiosum spread?

The virus commonly spreads through skin-to-skin contact. This includes sexual contact or touching or scratching the bumps and then touching the skin.

Handling objects that have the virus on them, such as a towel, can also result in infection.

The virus can spread from one part of the body to another or to other people. Molluscum contagiosum is contagious until the bumps are gone—which, if untreated, may be up to 6 months or longer.

Molluscum contagiosum in a child's genital area is common, usually because the child infects the area through scratching. However, if other factors are present, sexual abuse may be considered.

How is molluscum contagiosum diagnosed?

Molluscum contagiosum is usually diagnosed during a physical examination. If the diagnosis is unclear and other conditions are suspected, your health professional may take a sample of the bump to examine (biopsy).

If an adult has bumps in his or her genital area, the health professional may check for other sexually transmitted diseases, such as genital herpes.

How is it treated?

In healthy people, treatment may not be necessary because individual bumps usually go away on their own in 2 to 4 months, although it may take longer.

Some people choose to remove the bumps because they are embarrassed by them, or to keep them from spreading to other people.

Health professionals usually recommend treating bumps located in the genital area to prevent them from spreading.

If needed, treatment choices include:

Removing the viral material in the center by scraping the center briskly (curettage).

Freezing the skin growth (cryotherapy).

Putting medication on the skin (topical medication).

Taking medication by mouth (oral medication).

Who is affected by molluscum contagiosum?

Molluscum contagiosum is most common in children and is typically seen in children age 2 to 5.4

In teens and young adults, molluscum contagiosum is primarily a sexually transmitted disease.

However, it is also found among wrestlers, swimmers, gymnasts, masseurs, and people who use steam rooms and saunas.

Molluscum contagiosum is more common in warm, humid climates with crowded living conditions than in mild climates.

Exams and Tests

Molluscum contagiosum is usually diagnosed during a physical examination.

If you have bumps in your genital area, your health professional may check for other sexually transmitted diseases, such as genital herpes.

Some health professionals may consider testing for human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) if you are at risk for the condition and you have bumps on your face or other symptoms of a severe case of molluscum contagiosum.

A biopsy may be done if the diagnosis is unclear and other conditions are suspected.

Treatment Overview

Treatment for molluscum contagiosum is not always necessary because most bumps will go away within 2 to 4 months, although they may last longer.

However, if bumps are visible or embarrassing, or in order to prevent their spread, you may want them removed.

Removal or other treatment is recommended for bumps in the genital area.

Treatment varies depending on your age and health and the location of the bumps.

There has been little research on how well any of the treatments work, or how they compare to each other.5

Nonprescription treatment includes:

Salicylic acid. You apply this nonprescription medication directly to the bumps.

It is usually not painful and is often regarded as the first treatment to try.

Self-administered prescription medication includes:

Imiquimod, a form of immunotherapy. Immunotherapy triggers your immune system to fight the virus causing the skin growth.

Imiquimod is applied 3 times per week, left on the skin for 6 to 10 hours, and washed off.

A course may last from 4 to 16 weeks. Small studies have indicated that it is successful about 80% of the time.6
    Topical medications such as podofilox (Condylox) and tretinoin (Avita, Renova).

These medications are put directly on the bumps.

Podofilox is more often used in the treatment of genital warts.

Oral medication. Pills such as griseofulvin, interferon alfa, or cimetidine may be given for hard-to-treat cases.

However, these medications are not very effective for the treatment of molluscum contagiosum.

Treatment by your health professional includes:

Curettage.

The viral material in the center of the bump is scraped out. A local or topical anesthetic can be used to numb the area.

A small scraping instrument called a curette is used to quickly remove the bumps.

This procedure is very effective and not too painful. It may cause scarring.

Topical medications. Your health professional applies a chemical to the bumps.

This destroys the top layers of the skin, allowing a new layer to form. When the chemical is applied, you may feel a burning sensation.

Side effects may include mild scarring. How often and how long the chemical is applied will vary.

Chemicals used include trichloroacetic acid, podophyllin resin, potassium hydroxide, and cantharidin.

Trichloroacetic acid is often used in people with a weak immune system. Cantharidin causes the bumps to blister and go away.

It may cause pain as the blister develops. Cantharidin is considered safe and effective.

Cryotherapy.

The bump is frozen with liquid nitrogen. A local anesthetic may be used to numb the area.

The liquid nitrogen is sprayed or applied with a cotton-tip applicator for 5 or more seconds.

This procedure usually is not too painful, is not as likely as curettage to cause scarring, and usually is effective. More than one treatment is often necessary.

Laser surgery.

Bumps can be removed through laser surgery.

Treatment for children

Treatment is not always necessary for children because molluscum contagiosum usually goes away on its own. Whether to treat depends on many factors.

For example, if a bump is near a child's eye, it may be treated to prevent conjunctivitis, or it may not be treated to avoid possible eye damage.

Pain caused by treatment and the potential for scarring are important considerations when deciding about treatment for children.

Although it is acceptable to leave molluscum contagiosum untreated, treatment helps to prevent the spread of the virus to other parts of the body or to other people.

Initial treatment options for children include cryotherapy, curettage, and topical medication.

Treatment in the genital area

Molluscum contagiosum in the genital area is often treated to prevent spreading through sexual activity.

Common treatment procedures include cryotherapy, curettage, or imiquimod.

Treatment for people with other medical conditions:

If you have molluscum contagiosum and an impaired immune system, treatment will usually be recommended to help prevent the spread and severity of the bumps, but they are often difficult to treat.

The main treatment options are cryotherapy, curettage, oral medication, or topical medications.

Treatments for widespread, difficult-to-treat cases include laser therapy and trichloroacetic acid.

This is the end of Part I -- I will post Part II for you in the next post.

Take care,

Karen :)

3. kjfms

kjfms Member

Original article:
    http://www.webmd.com/hw/skin_and_beauty/aa18217.asp

Molluscum Contagiosum

Home Treatment

Home treatment for molluscum contagiosum involves taking care of the bumps if they have been treated and preventing them from spreading to other parts of your body or to others.

If the bumps have been treated, it is important to keep the area clean and protected.

Ask your health professional for specific instructions.

To prevent molluscum contagiosum from spreading:

Try not to scratch.

Put a piece of tape or a bandage over any bumps.

Avoid contact sports, swimming pools, and shared baths and towels.

If bumps are on the face, avoid shaving.

If bumps are on the genital area, avoid sexual activity.

Other Places To Get Help

Organizations
    American Academy of Dermatology
    P.O. Box 4014
    Schaumburg, IL 60168-4014
    Phone: (847) 330-0230

1-888-462-DERM (1-888-462-3376) for information on finding a dermatologist
    Fax: (847) 330-0050
    Web Address: http://www.aad.org

The American Academy of Dermatology provides information about the care of skin, hair, and nails.

American Social Health Association
    P.O. Box 13827
    Research Triangle Park, NC 27709
    Phone: (919) 361-8400
    Fax: (919) 361-8425
    E-mail: std-hivnet@ashastd.org (general questions about sexually transmitted diseases)
    Web Address: http://www.ashastd.org

The mission of the American Social Health Association is to stop sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) and the harmful effects they have on individuals, families, and communities.

National Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases Information Clearinghouse (NAMSIC), National Institutes of Health
    1 AMS Circle
    Bethesda, MD 20892-3675
    Phone: (301) 495-4484

Toll free:1-877 22-NIAMS (1-877-224-4267)
    Fax: (301) 718-6366
    TDD: (301) 565-2966
    E-mail: niamsinfo@mail.nih.gov
    Web Address: http://www.nih.gov/niams

The clearinghouse provides educational materials about arthritis and musculoskeletal and skin diseases to the public and health professionals.

This information is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor.

I hoped this helps in some little way best wishes,

Karen :)
  4. Barbie56

Barbie56 New Member

thank you so much for all the information. I pray to God that he is fine. I don't know if he could live with something bad. I am so depressed over all of this...Barb