Mom getting eaten by FLEAS

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by mindbender, Mar 27, 2007.

1. mindbender

mindbender New Member

I need you people with animals help.

When my wife left she took the animals but she left the FLEAS!!!!

I thought about shipping them to her one at a time, but flea shipping is so expensive.

So I'm stuck with them. They don't bother me, the people that know me aren't surprised, but they do love my Mother.

Please is there a natural repellent we can make here at home?
    One that doesn't require special oils that no one has or even knows where to get.
    You know what I'm saying?

Please help, we'll support your favorite charities.

[This Message was Edited on 03/28/2007]
  2. elliespad

elliespad Member

oh man, fleas suck big time! Please don't use conventional flea bombs, they are HIGHLY toxic, i know these things, please read my bio. Anyway, if you go to this website called safetouse with the obvious suffix, they offer all kinds of safe cleaners, pesticides, etc. Don't know what they have specifically but they list a lot of products and have a contact number. Hope something there can help.

I just realized I gave you the wrong link. It should be safe2use dot you know what, NOT safetouse. So SORRY.[This Message was Edited on 03/30/2007]
  3. mindbender

mindbender New Member

Thank you ellie,

I checked out the site. It looks like their going out of business.
    If in fact I had the correct site.

Don't worry young lady, along with my loverly FM, I also have chemical sensitivities as many of us do.

Thank you though I looked anyway on the site for a topic and couldn’t find one.
    To bad they didn’t make it (perhaps not enough smut).

Ellie I also got the site off your profile
    thank you[This Message was Edited on 03/27/2007]
  4. joyfully

joyfully New Member

Hi. I went online.
    One recommendation was:
    "Fast, cheap and effective means of flea control.
    Diatomaceous earth is a fine powder that sticks to the skin of insects like fleas and kills by dessication -- the powder leaches moisture from their bodies.

It will kill fleas and flea eggs that are in your carpets and bedding. I had good results by sprinkling it liberally on the affected areas, waiting a few hours, and then vacuuming thoroughly.

The diatomaceous earth -- plus an application of Advantage on the cat in question -- eliminated the flea infestation in a single weekend."

My thoughts:
    The part I question is whether this stuff would be good to breathe when you vacuum the carpets. You could get those high efficiency vacuum bags. I'd read the label on the diatomaceous earth package before sprinkling it in my house.
    this site has a combo of 3 things in the product.
    You’ll want to use food grade diatomaceous earth, not the type used in swimming pool filters. It can be spread around your yard with a garden spreader, and can also be rubbed into your pet’s fur and sprinkled on his bedding. Special attention should be given to areas inside the home as well. Your pet’s bedding should be washed often, and tumbled dry in a hot dryer to kill fleas. It is important to vacuum floors often, paying special attention to the dark, damp areas where fleas love to lay eggs. Remember to dispose of the vacuum bag immediately, otherwise eggs can hatch and re-infect your home. Boric acid powder can be sprinkled onto clean carpets to keep fleas at bay (but test a small area of your carpet first, to make sure it is colorfast). Boric acid compounds are available commercially, specifically for flea control purposes. There are natural treatments which can be applied directly to your pet’s coat, without any chemical side effects. In addition to the diatomaceous earth mentioned above, a mixture of ground cloves and eucalyptus oil may help to ward off fleas. Pennyroyal, citronella, wormwood, cedar and rosemary are some other alternatives, many of which can be found in products sold at health food stores. Citrus oil can also be of help – brush it into your pet’s fur to help it penetrate the skin.
    from web site:
    integrated holistic flea management site
    [This Message was Edited on 03/27/2007]
  5. mindbender

mindbender New Member

Thank you for all of this. This is very interesting.

What I did was I e-mailed my mom your post.

Even though she’s literally in the next room, this she can print to follow instructions.

Thanks again

6. Fmandy

Fmandy New Member

Dan you know the Dawn liquid detergent? That stuff kills fleas like who'd a thunk it! I used to have a huge wolfweiller that I would wash down with the stuff. Hit don't stank... I got the MCS too bad too. Take sumpin and rub it into yor carpet a bit and jest leave it be fer a while.

Can't ya eat certain things like garlic and it gets in your blood and the fleas don't have a taste fer hit ya know that tale?

Also rub some dryer sheets on yor Mom if'in she don't mind. Might try a test spot first thou. I dono on 2nd thought dont rub nuttin on Mom. She might whomp you like she used to.

I'll B thanking some more.

Andy (I forget sumpin that works. I've had dem buggers bad)
  7. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

The kind you buy at the supermarket to use in the laundry.
    Sprinkle it on the carpet. Vacuum up a few days later.

I have no idea if some people are sensitive to borax.

8. Fmandy

Fmandy New Member

Hey Ronald Regan and the Twenty Mule Team used to sell that, right?
  9. mindbender

mindbender New Member

Thank you I think if I leave this up come tomorrow I’m going to have my hands full with replies.

That’s ok of course, I’ll take them all because of the fact that my Mom thinks that I am Holier than her since they aren’t biting me.

I told her I would break a Commandment if I had to, but she said that’s ok, just knowing that I would have to go to confession over it makes her feel better.

10. Shalala

Shalala New Member

I had a flea infestation ONCE a long time ago ... grrrrrrr. With our delicate systems it is hard to just use anything normals would use to get rid of them. Luckily this happened to me prior to getting really sick. I had to BOMB the whole joint. Sorry you are going through this and I feel your irritation. I liked the "shipping them to her" idea though.
  11. lois1023

lois1023 New Member

The borax really does work for heavy infestation of fleas. When I lived in FL in the 80's and my kids were small I was a stay at home mom. Our landlord used to let me clean houses and apts after tenants moved to help towards our rent. Fleas are a major problem in Fl. Anyway, I always sprinkled everything with a good coating of borax and then waited 48 hours to vacuum it up. It worked every time.

12. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

Go to Garden's Alive! site and to organic pet care and you can get the I. G. Regulator to stop the flea growth cycle. This used to be called Precor and I have used it in my home for over 10 years and it really works.

You mix it with water and spray it on carpet, fabric areas where the fleas are and it keeps the larva from developing into adult fleas.

I use it whenever we have fleas on our inside only cat. I found out she was getting them from sitting at an opened window on our first floor. So I have stopped opening windows except for upstairs.

You can Google Garden's Alive! website.

Good luck!

13. elliespad

elliespad Member

Mindbender, I am such as a**. The link I gave you above was wrong. It should be safe2use dot you know what. NOT safetouse. Sorry.
  14. elliespad

elliespad Member

The IG Regulator contains Nylar. I would check MSDS sheets before using this product. Anything that controls growth and development in insects can act the same in humans. They call them growth regulators, I call them endocrine dysruptors. May not be TRUE endocrine dysruptors, but they may function the same way. I am just OVER CAUTIOUS when it comes to pest control. There are also warnings about respiratory iritation and skin iritation for NYLAR, so wanted to put my 2cents out there.
    [This Message was Edited on 03/30/2007]
  15. mindbender

mindbender New Member

I knew this would stir up allot of response and I'm sorry I can't thank you all personally, I'm sure you can understand.

I'm just simply going to drag this info to my pc so I can sort it all out.

You guys are full of all sorts of useful info.

LEFTYGG Member

just vaccuam vaccuam vaccuam then at night put bowl on floor with light over it put water and dish detergent in it they will jump at it at night move it around.

fleas like females and will go for youngest female usually

love gail
  17. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Heres another one for you, do you have access to Bay Leaf? if so put crushed leaves under the furniture, mattress, bed, etc. anywhere in the house.

Especially where Mom spends most of her time. They hate the smell (which, if you are familiar with Bay Leaf it smells good). They wiil leave pronto!

Also whoever mentioned the light, that also works.

Vacuum a lot, they do not have a long life span, so if you vacuum a few times a day it will kill them off. Also if it does not bother Mom, put a little Sevin dust in the vacuum bag, will kill them right away, it does not smell, but it is a poison.

I have dogs in the house and no fleas, I keep Bay Leaf around all the time (I have a bush growing in a huge flower pot), and use the Sevin dust in the vacuum bag just to keep them away.

Fleas do not like me, but they love my cousin who visits me. If there is one around it will bit her........

Good luck, you have got a lot of research to do here :)

Shalom, Shirl

18. mindbender

mindbender New Member

You guys are a wiz,

I’m already doing the dish soap and light. we’re getting allot of them %@!%$@’s.
    I love 7 dust I’m out of it right now.

You know, around here I’ve got to keep one step ahead of these varmints.

Thank you for all the info.

I knew all you pet lovers would have some answers.

19. sewhat

sewhat New Member

Heres another one for you, sprinkle salt on the carpet, it works great. The fleas eat it up and they expand and die. You Vaucume them up. Good Luck!!!!

Love Sewhat