MONEYthe root of all evil! I really believe there is even a cure for cancer

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hensue, Oct 13, 2009.

1. hensue

hensue New Member

Look at the money being maid for drugs teatment oncology you name it. Chemo, radiation
    Drs for every dept.
    Deep down I believe people know the cure to much money being made off of it.
    That is sick I know but problem the same for us. Look how much money drs drug companies everyone makes off us.
    Cancer much more, just my take but I really believe a coverup is there.
    Think I have lost it so tired but I am sick of the whole thing could not imagine having cancer and knowing I was going to die.

Totally off subject just had to say it, but there is something wrong with this whole picture, chronic fatigue, cancer etc........
  2. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

How about if the medical community can make you sick, so that you come for more visits?

The FDA wants to make all supplements a doc's Rx. Medical school only requires one course in Nutrition. My daughter is a dietician. So no doc will recommend any supplement. Who has ever heard a doc recommend dietary changes besides salt (NTHANES study said salt is not a problem) and fat. People needs essential fats for heart and brain.

The FDA has lifted the mercury ban on H1N1 vaccines.

There is a 3rd level that I can take this too, but it may be too much to bear.
  3. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Being a dietitian requires a lot of knowledge about nutrition. Anyone can claim they are a nutritionist.

Doctors are being trained about nutrition and are much more aware than in the past. My doctors have been. Hospitals hire nutritionists.

Alternative practitioners throw out vitamins and supplements like they are candy and are pretty clueless about medicine and how the body works.

I believe that all supplements should be a script. There has to be oversight.

How about the supplement industry making you sick? Oops, we don't know as they do not have to report adverse side effects!!

Yes, please spare us the next level of this conspiracy theory or put it on the conspiracy board.

[This Message was Edited on 10/14/2009]
  4. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

The only doc that has helped me nutritionally was a DO. The rest were MDs and clueless.

This forum is supported by a supplement company...what makes sense is that there might be a conflict of interest. If you have found an MD that helping you with nutrition, FANTASTIC.

I have not had that experience.

Supplements do get yanked for side effects: Tryptophan and Kava Kava come to mind. DHEA was under investigation.

Baylor Hosp in Fort Worth use to be owned by the Baptist Church, it is now Doctor Owned and operated. They don't like nutritionists or daughter was already advised.

All in favor of going to Michael Jackson's Doc for a Rx, raise your hand!

I'll stick to my DO and dietician.
  5. gapsych

gapsych New Member

No there is not a conflict of interest. We have an alternative health board. You underestimate PH's tolerance for different opinions.

The difference between allopathic medicine is that it is put through rigorous testing to determine side effects.

Supplements are not tested by science based medicine. You don't have to report side effects which would be bad for business and these effects are mostly not found until there have been numerous complaints. That's not effective in catching side effects or other problems the treatment has.

Even with oversight for prescriptions, some do slip through the system. However, I would much rather go with something that has scientific backing rather than a shot in the dark with something based on pseudoscience.

What does the doctor owned hospital have to do with this? Last I heard this hospital is going to come under lots of scrutiny and may eventually declared illegal as it is a real conflict of interest when doctor's own a hospital.

Just because Michael Jackson's doctor prescribed him dangerous amounts of meds. makes me want to run to alternative practices. I'm convinced.

I think between the New Health Plan and OBama, there will eventually be more oversight on the supplemental industry.

That is all I have to say on this subject.

[This Message was Edited on 10/14/2009]
  6. SBear

SBear Member

Prescribed medications and treatments have caused far, far more disabilities and deaths than all the supplements put together. The government and the medical profession do not own my body; I do. I have a constitutional right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness, which means I have the right to get vitamins and the like without making an expensive appointment to ask some MD for a prescription. If you think it's hard to get an appointment now, just wait until they require a prescription for supplements that people have been taking for years and years without doing harm. What nonsense!
  7. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

I think that today most informed doctors will try dietary changes, exercise, and the use of supplements, before prescribing pharmacuticals, whenever possible. My present doctor, and the one I saw previously, both recommended supplements to try before going the pharmacutical route.

For example, most doctors would rather see their patients change their diets rather than prescribing blood pressure and cholesterol medications which both can have side-effects. And I'm talking more than cutting out salt and fat. I think the majority of doctors are educated enough to know that sodium only accounts for 33% of hypertension.

I'd be interested to hear what the "3rd level" is.
  8. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

How many prescription drugs with known side-effects, some of them extremely serious, are sold everyday by prescription?? Why is it alright by you for these to still be sold, but you are so against supplements?? If a supplement even came close to causing liver damage, it would be removed so fast, yet hundreds of prescription drugs with the same side-effect are sold everyday. Where is the logic in that??

It is extremely naive to believe that because a pharmacutical drug makes it to the market, that it is "safe". A lot of prescription drugs make it to market through dishonesty on the part of the pharmacutical companies, and by being pushed through by the US FDA too quickly. I've heard that it takes Health Canada, on average, two years longer to pass the same drug. Some drugs don't make it through Health Canada's more rigorous testing.

Look at drugs such as Thalidomide, Celebrex, Bextra; these were all FDA approved, but how many deformed babies, or deaths before they were removed. How many people die from pennicilin each year because of allergies? yet again, this is FDA approved. FDA approved means very little these days. Even some people in the FDA are starting to say the same thing.[This Message was Edited on 10/18/2009]
  9. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

The Canadian gov't banned DHEA. Even by prescription, it is just about impossible to get and a doctor has to apply to the gov't to prescribe it. Bringing it across the border is no different than trying to bring cocaine or heroin into Canada.

I'd love to see DOs practicing here in BC.
  10. hensue

hensue New Member

I wished I had never made the comment. The more I think about it I have to remember to most caring docs in the world that helped my Dad. One oncologist stopped by the house and Dad had a stroke during chemo.

I will admit we have come a long way there are a lot of cancers that have a high cure rate.
    It is just so hard for me to see people suffering. I do know if it had not been for the Drs and research my Dad would not have lived as long as he did.

About the supplements, gapsych has a point we could be taking dirt in our supplements who knows? Not yours prohealth sorry

I think the fact of suffering is so severe and pain in cancer and many diseases that bothers me the most.
    I feel very fortunate to live in the US and have access to my hospital and docs. Maybe I took some things for granted when I said that.
    Look at some of the less fortunate ones.
    I feel a need to apologize for the conspiracy remark it is something that went through my head. I really deep down do not believe that
    We have a lot of baby boomers now getting older so we are going to need help. It will just get more expensive.
  11. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Not everyone here agrees with the conspiracy theories. I think you will find that the majority of people on this board are like myself; we follow both conventional medicine and alternative medicine and take the best from both worlds.
  12. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Let me restate a few of my remarks that may have not been clear.

I am not anti supplement, I am against the fact that they do not have any proof they are effective and without any side effects. Once they are shown to pass the criteria of SBM, they are not considered alternative.

I did not say all pharmaceutical drugs are "safe". The system is not perfect. However I would rather see a system which has some oversight.

The FDA has limited staff to find side effects AFTER the release of supplements.

We simply do not know how harmful most supplements are as there is no monitoring by the supplemental industry. Supplemental companies which make billions of dollars a year do not have to report side effects. The fact that we are suppose to take these supplements on faith and not on any scientific evidence on how the body works is scary.

I know I have said this about a million times and will say once more. I do take vitamins and I want to know that what I buy is what I am getting. I think most consumers do.

Are you saying because some drugs slip through the cracks, see my remark above, that we should not take any prescription medications? That's like throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

I believe it is "extremely naive" to automatically think because a supplement is natural, it is safe. Arsenic is natural. Even death is natural.

It is this black and white thinking that concerns me. Things are not either one way or another. That is not how life for the most part works.

I have spent several years research on pharmaceutical industry, which believe me is far from perfect, as well as the alternative industry.

Because medical science has not come up with a cure as of yet,, but keeping my fingers crossed, doctor's are labeled incompetent. Many are ignorant of FM/CFS but I think there will be a turn of doctor's opinions. FM is recognized by the American College of Rheumatologist.

Now let's hope the same thing will happen with CFS.

One thing I want to add. Just because I believe in SBM does not mean that I never rely on intuition, in other areas. Intuition can spark many hypotheses about science. However, that is when the scientific method comes in and creative thinking can help us find ways to tailor reseach to be more effective. So thinking "out of the box" can also apply to reseach.

When I do my creative writing, I use a lot of intuition, creative thinking, etc. I feel that in this area is not where the scientific method applies. Unless you are writing about science, that is!!

Take care.

13. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Don't beat yourself up!! We are only human. This has happened to all of us on the board. Why wouldn't it? We are living with a DD that is devastating.

Every opinion is worthwhile. We need to see all sides of a topic. It is also worthwhile to debate different opinions about various topics. It is a good
    way to learn.

It can be worthwhile to vent. Gets the old brain thinking. Well, don't know about you but at least in my case the old applies, LOL!!

ETA I call this "foot in mouth" disease. Been there, done that, and even have a tee shirt. However, I try to wear the tee shirt and not stuff it in my mouth, LOL!! (<:

[This Message was Edited on 10/18/2009]
  14. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Does this mean that the US FDA will put a stop to Dr. Mehmet Oz's TV show? His purpose for doing his daily shows is to get Americans (and any other nationalities watching) to change their lifestyles. He estimates that 80% of illness (ie heart disease, cancer, etc.) could be erradicated if people just learned to take care of their bodies through exercise, good eating habits, getting rid of toxic products, and supplementing when necessary.

Medical care should not be "for profit". The US is the only western country where this is allowed. The rest of us have national healthcare where it is in our government's best interest to keep us healthy and disease free.
    [This Message was Edited on 10/18/2009]
  15. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I disagree with your statements about cancer and oncologist. My BIL is an oncologist. Do you realize how expensive chemotherapy is for doctor's to get? He gives many people who can not afford it, free chemotherapy. He is such a moral and compassionate person. Of course this is anecdotal and I am referring to my BIL, not necessarily all doctors.

I think there are a lot of doctor's out there who are in medicine because they want to help people and probably a few who just want the money. However to get that money you have to be well trained which requires years of studying, internship.

If there was an alternative cure for cancer, believe me someone would make a lot of money.

There are many wrongs that the health/insurance companies. Hopefully these issues are going to be addressed soon.

You say we need capitalization. That may be true in many instances. But when it comes to things like social services, schools, the medical community, it does more harm than good to run them like a for profit business.

16. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

You'll have to forgive me, but I was left with the impression from reading some of your messages over the past several months that you were against supplements. I have never at any time said that we should not be taking prescription drugs. I am the first person to use them when it is necessary. My point was that just because they have been approved by the FDA does not mean that they are safe, and that too many times, drugs are approved that never should have been. I am also in total agreement that just because something is natural, does not mean that it is safe.

To say that we should be going to the doctor to get a prescription for Vitamin C or Whey protein is ridiculous. Not only is it a waste of the doctor's very limited time, it is also a waste of the tax payer's money.

When you consider that a lot of the ingredients used in the manufacture of pharmacuticals come from China, how pure do you suppose some of them are??
  17. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I think what you made some interesting points. Yes ingredients in pharmecuticals have been found.

Unfortunately, also in supplemental products. I think there was just a post about this.

We don't want happening here what happened in China with the infant deaths.

Maybe we don't need prescriptions to get things like vitamins but we do need oversight.

18. hensue

hensue New Member

That is one thing I do know about. Our family had been in politics for over 40 years.

That is one thing that could be discussed on another board.

Just my opinion!
  19. spacee

spacee Member

My identical twin and do not discuss either cause we feel very differently....:)

But I would like to comment about socialized medicine.

We have the best medical care in the world. Sady, though, it isn't for everyone and I hope somehow we can get everyone covered.

What I wanted to say is this: My son, wife and child have lived in England for 3 years. The is the WORST medical situation. And I am not even talking about how terribly they treat the M.E. patients. What they have there is practically NO medical system except for maternal and pediatrics.

The socialized medicine still has to run on a budget and when they are over get no treatment. None. I would mail their rx's to them.

I wish everyone in the US knew that.