Monicaflowers (or anyone).....Gallstones

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Kathleen12, May 29, 2008.

1. Kathleen12

Kathleen12 New Member

Hi Monica....

I just wanted to ask you a bit about your gallstones. My dr suspects gallbladder dysfunction and has ordered a Heida Scan for me and blood tests for the pancreas.

Thing is...I never have stomach pain but severe diareah. I just had a colonoscopy and an upper endoscopy of my stomach and every thing came back pretty close to normal.

What are your symptoms of gallstones?
    [This Message was Edited on 05/30/2008]
  2. monica33flowers

monica33flowers New Member

Well, first of all my family history on my father's side --- everyone has had gallbladder problems and had them removed.

About a year ago I was having pain in my right side. I was sent in for a ultrasound and they didn't find anything. The pain gets much worse whenever I eat anything fried or greasy. Also, when I take my pain meds it really acts up. Recently I had to go to the hospital for a migraine where they gave me dialudid and instantly the pain on my right side flared up.

I also have terrible acid reflux which at times cannot even be controlled by taking antacids.

Also, I know my body very well and when something is wrong I know it. When I had my hysterectomy I knew for years the endometrosis was bad and no dr. would listen to me until the pain became unbearable and then the test results showed the endo. everywhere --- even in my bowels.

I know that the gallstones are their and causing problems but no dr. will listen to me. So, maybe this is the way we have to do it again. Wait until my body shows signs of distress before the docs will listen.

I truly hope I am wrong and I'm hoping maybe it is just all the meds I take but I don't think so.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
  3. justlooking

justlooking New Member

I just wanted to say, I just had my gallbladder removed earlier this week. I had non-typical symtpoms of gallstones so I went undiagnosed for years. I had been complaining of symptoms since at least 2002 and even went to the ER during a gallbladder attack (but I was told I had a strained muscle in my chest or a virus???) Unfortunately Drs believe you must have very specific symtpoms to justify looking at the gallbladder as the culprit.

I was only diagnosed after an ultrasound (for an unrelated problem) showed many gallstones and sludge that they began to take me seriously.

I have had high liver enzymes for several years so I guess we will see over the next few months if those go down now that my gallbladder is out.

Anyway if you think you have gallstones or gallbladder disease have an upper abdominal ultrasound, as it is one of the best ways to verify the presence of gallstones and/or determine gallbladder disease. There is a lot of research to confirm a strong genetic connection.

Best of luck to you both!
  4. monica33flowers

monica33flowers New Member

You had chest pain? I've been having a lot of chest pain also and I've been thinking it was the fibro or even maybe just associated with the neck pain. The chest pain is on the right side like where you would put your hand over your goes from that spot to the back of my shoulder exactly behind the chest pain.....did yours do the same thing?
  5. Kathleen12

Kathleen12 New Member

Monica....I hate it when the drs won't take symptoms seriously until we're almost dead! Your symptoms do sound like the classic gallstones from what I've researched. I do hope you can find someone who will take you seriously. Thanks for your reply.

Justlooking....You are not butting in at all. I should have posted to all about gallstones....I just knew that Monica had trouble with this from another post of hers. I do not have all of the classic symptoms, but am getting that scan just to be sure. Have you ever had a Heida Scan? Thanks for posting here.

I am going to step out on a limb here and break a prohealth rule. This is a website that kind of expains some of the back, neck and shoulder pains that we get with gallstone dysfuntcion. I hope I don't get kicked off for this, so if you don't hear from me again, then you'll know why.
    [This Message was Edited on 05/30/2008]
  6. justlooking

justlooking New Member

Yes, I had chest pain just as you describe. I also had shoulder blade pain as well as stomach and liver area pain. It also would travel up my neck and give me a headache. I would feel sick on an empty stomach as well as certain foods. I had heartburn type symptoms too.

I never heard of a Heida scan. I'm not sure if I had one or not. I had an ultrasound and upper GI.

I suffered for far too long because my symptoms weren't typical. My PCP looked everywhere except my gallbladder because the symptoms were inconsistent with the diagnosis.

I hope that the gallbladder removal will end all of my symptoms but it is possible to have more than one thing going on. We'll see!

7. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Hi -
    My Mom just had her gallbladder removed on Friday.
    She had two pretty severe attacks within the past month. Had an ultrasound done, then a HIDA scan.
    The HIDA scan shows how your gallbladder reacts and functions. They put something in an IV and sure enough my Mom started getting the pain.

She had tenderness under her ribcage and pain by her shoulder blades. Was told this was classic gallbladder pain. During an attack, she was in severe pain - very scared. She would be nauseous and throw up only foam. People's attacks can vary however. She needed to have her gallbladder removed as her quality of life was being affected. She was scared to death to eat - so afraid of having an attack - poor thing.

She also had severe acid reflux - but was told it really isn't gallbladder related - two different systems at work.
    Although it can have something to with it - but just not totally.