Mono

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by wanderingbluedragon, Sep 1, 2006.

1. wanderingbluedragon

wanderingbluedragon New Member

So I was just wondering how many people in here have had Mono? And how long after you had the symptoms did you develop CFS or FM or both? I wonder if there is a connection?
  2. mymichelina

mymichelina New Member

As a teen......it's related somehow to Epstein Barr Virus.
  3. jdkc

jdkc New Member

I had mono 23 years ago. I got it at the end of my senior year, barely graduated from highschool.

I was dx with probable fm just last year.

My health in general has never really been the same since having mono.

Dana
  4. KMD90603

KMD90603 New Member

I had mono 9 years ago, when I was 15 years old. My symptoms began almost immediately, but not as intense. Basically, I was just extremely weak and fatigued all the time. I would tell my mom that I felt like I never fully recovered from it. My symptoms got worse after the birth of my son at 19. I ended up being rushed back to the hospital when he was 3 days old. I was bleeding severely and had a fever of 103. It turned out I had a uterine infection. After that, things were pretty much like a roller coaster. I was officially diagnosed with CFIDS when I was 22, so 7 years after having mono.

Hope this helps,
    Kim
  5. pam_d

pam_d New Member

...since so many of us have had mono (thus the Epstein Barr Virus) here.

But I am NOT like many here who say, "I had mono and feel like I never really recovered". I had mono and feel like I DID recover fully...it was 22 years before I started having FM symptoms, and I was healthy during that time.

So it's hard to say...

Hugs,
    Pam
  6. TerryS

TerryS Member

also from the epstein barr virus. not been quite the same since.

easily fatigued since. keep having acute relapses (which i am in right now).

my labs are showing chronic/reactivated epstein barr (as well as many other abnormalities). my ENT says it's "chronic fatigue syndrome" and referred me to a rheumatologist which i am seeing this month.

PCP has also referred me to a neurologist (for my dizziness), has ordered nuclear stress test and CT scan of brain. He's put me on STD indefinitely.

from what i'm hearing on this board, seems like a lot of people had mono or CMV in the past. my research shows it definitely can be connected.

good luck!

TERRY
  7. barbinindiana

barbinindiana New Member

I had mono for the first time at age 19 and fully recovered. At age 49 I was diagnoised with mono again. This time though I had all the crazy symptoms of cfs. I was so terribly sick. I developed panic attacks, was falling alot, awful sweats day and night, alot of word searching when I'd try to talk, forget what I was saying in mid-sentence, bumping into walls, couldn't say a sentence without yawning, be in the car and forgetting where I was going, or forget how to get there, nausea, slept 20 or more hours a day, wierd feelings like numbness, pins and needles, crawly bug feeling, very low body temp, and the list goes on and on.

So I believe the cfs came with or even before the mono instead of because of it. I was having some symptoms of cfs a few months before I started feeling ill and being diagnoised with mono. Like drop foot, ankles giving out, memory problems, fibro get much worse.

I haven't really been able to figure it out, but I think that whatever made my develope cfs also triggered the EBV.

Barb
  8. Noahvale

Noahvale New Member

Wandering,

I have had mono when I was about 10 years old, I am 37 years old now and was Dx'd with FM a few weeks ago.

If there is anything I can help with please let me know I would be glad to share suggestions or information that I have found to be helpful.

Seems to be a trend going on here.. wonder if everyone that has been Dx'd with FM has had Mono in the past as well..this is an interesting inquiry...I see the responses and everyone so far has had it...Thank you Wandering!

God Bless!

Noahvale--Kathy
  9. barbinindiana

barbinindiana New Member

My sister who also has FM and CFS has never had mono and her fibro is pretty severe.

Barb
  10. Nikki

Nikki Member

a really bad case.

I'm now 61. Was dx'd w/fibro in 3/2003. Symptoms began around 2000. I have CFS, too - but, my rheumy does not separate it from fibro; even tho I didn't have CFS symptoms until about the end of 2003.

Nikki
  11. Leaknits

Leaknits New Member

I'm part of the "everyone" who has been dx'd with both Mono and CFS.

Have no idea which one hit first.

There are YEARS that I just don't remember, but I don't know whether the brainfade was because of CFS, Mono, or early years trauma. Never will, not now.

Lea.
  12. mrdad

mrdad New Member

I had Mono about 1971 and was Hospitalized for 3 days
    and had to drop out of Grad school for a semester! Took
    Months ans Mos. before I fealt anyhwere "normal". I've
    never had the same energy level again. Not sure,however,
    that my current situation is applicable. I also had,
    Whooping Cough, Rubella and lots of bouts with flu in
    the Big City! (Stay off the Busses here)

Tend to think there are different "triggers" that end up
    firing that bullit into the same target.

Thanks for the Post--it's relevant!
    MRDAD
  13. Pennygirl2

Pennygirl2 New Member

I am one of those that had it and never got better. I got it back in '89 when I think I was 42. I know the exact date I was diagnosed with it because it was my son's birthday and we went to Bullwinkles. I tried to have fun but was so sick. Was worse for first year and body was trying to come back, but it was downhill from there.
    Haven't worked since. Not an unusual story sadly.