Monolauren, anyone tried it?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by greatgran, Apr 5, 2006.

1. greatgran

greatgran Member

If so would like to know if it helped and did you have any problems with it.

My doc has prescribed it for me as an anti-viral supplement. Have done a search but couldn't find out much about it..

Thanks,
    greatgran
  2. cherylsue

cherylsue Member

Yes, I've tried monolaurin in the form of Lauricidin pellets. What at herx! I still have the jar. I don't like to herx, so I tried ProBoost 3 packages a day for 6 months and now I'm down to 1 a day (it's been a year.) I also take Sambucol Elderberry extract daily.

Anyway, I'm between 90-95% remission after two 14month bouts of viral induced CFS. I work full time in a school which has all kinds of nasty germs floating around.

This worked best for me.

CherylSue
    [This Message was Edited on 04/05/2006]
  3. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Monolauren comes from coconut milk. Also, do a search using the spelling "monolaurin" and you will get more results.

I took virgin coconut oil a few years ago for candida and it worked very well, but I did have a severe herx from it and probably should have gone slower.

There's a good book called The Coconut Oil Miracle by Bruce Fife. It talks about the antiviral properties of coconut oil and how it kills candida. Some people are claiming it helps kill the AIDS virus, but I don't know if that's true.

You may herx on the monolauren as CherylSue did, so you should probably start with a small dose. But herxing will mean that it's working.

Here is a blurb I cut and pasted from Dr. Mercola's website about coconut oil and lauric acid and monolauren:

"You've probably heard that breast milk is jam-packed with nutrients and disease-fighting ingredients that help keep babies healthy.

Well, incredibly, coconut oil contains the same compound -- lauric acid -- as mother's milk! And lauric acid is the predominant type of MCFA found in coconut oil.

Fortunately for our health, lauric acid in both breast milk and coconut oil transforms when consumed into a substance called monolaurin, the actual compound responsible for fighting numerous types of infections.

Skeptical? So were a lot of scientists, who've proceeded to test the heck out of this substance.

In fact, a great volume of research has been done establishing the ability of lauric acid to fight dangerous micro-organisms -- things you don't want to deal with -- like viruses, bacteria, yeasts, fungi, parasites and molds.

Outside of mother's milk, pure coconut oil is nature's most plentiful source of infection-fighting lauric acid.

What researchers found was that this medium-chain fatty acid derivative actually disrupts the lipid (or fatty) membranes of the offending organisms.

Numerous studies have indicated that many viruses are inactivated by medium-chain fats -- viruses like influenza, measles, HIV, herpes and cytomegalovirus.

Bacteria like strep and staph, gonorrhea, helicobacter pylori, salmonella and clostridium botulinum.

And other "bad guys" like the yeast candida, even the ringworm fungus.

The results leave little room for doubt ... the lauric acid in coconut oil is one effortless way to protect yourself from many types of "bugs".

Mary
  4. greatgran

greatgran Member

Thanks to each of you for your help..

I don't think I have ever herxed and not sure what it is, will probably find out...

God bless,
    greatgran
  5. jess

jess New Member

Hi, I have tried monolauren for a few months. It was a capsule though, not lauracidin homeopathic. Honestly I didn't notice any difference and I did not herx. I stopped taking it just to save a little money. I do however take olive leaf extract and did notice results. I did herx after a few pills but got through it. I still take them every couple of weeks. Truthfully, I am not doing well. I think it may be heart related as I have diastolic dysfunction. Everyone is different so maybe monolauren will help you. Good luck! Jess