Montel on Oprah today

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by justmestephd, Mar 17, 2009.

1. justmestephd

justmestephd New Member

Talking about his MS and it was so sad. He definitely struggles with it every single day. Just reminded me a lot of our Fibro. He said he's in pain 24/7 365 aside from taking about 20 pills a day and shots. I think I cried almost the whole time he was on.
  2. ulala

ulala New Member

The Oprah show is ususally repeated at night. If you go to her website you can probably find out when you can see it again.

Best wishes!
  3. Julie24

Julie24 New Member

Hello, as i watched Ophra today with Montel on the show, the big conclusion Montel was trying to point out was...How your way of thinking can improve your chronic illness. If you let the illness attack you and eat at you...You will let the illness win...
    Positive thinking and the way you think can alter the illness making things worst. If you get yourself strong i believe you can fight this illness to lower some of the symptoms we maybe having. Hes a fighter in all of his illness. You got to keep yourself motivated ( which i know its very hard at times) keep yourself going physically to keep everything intact and working, nutrition is important as well...This was a very good show today!!!

Stay strong everyone!!!!
  4. tut90

tut90 Member

Julie24, it's funny that you write about positive thinking, because just this past monday my daughter told me she was going shopping, for me to make a list of the things I needed. I was in pain but I decided, let me take a shower and try to go with her, when she arrived I was ready and told her I was going shopping with her, she was so happy she started crying. It wasn't easy, I was in pain, and at one point I had to go to the car while she paid, but I have decided that I have to fight this disease. I also started doing some reps using one pound wrist weighs every other day, I have lost so much muscle mass in my arms.

5. moi482001

moi482001 Member

How MS has so much similarity to Fibro. As Montel described the pain in his feet, I couldn't believe how well he was describing the pain in my feet and in my toes. The myalgia in his face is so similar to what I feel. How often have I read that the two illnesses are similar but this was so obvious that I can't help but think that there is a missing link between the two.

His description of how he copes with his pain is very similar to the method I use. That and the overwhelming depression I feel at times. Tears do help when it gets too much.

I've also had on two occasions the frozen torso where I thought I was going to die of a heart attack only to have the pain subside after ten minutes. The last incident was very frightening.

All this to say that Fibro does get worse-this year has been a slow descent to into Fibro hell. I can only hope that it will bottom out for a little while.
  6. Empower

Empower New Member

I watched it....

I cried the entire time. I felt his pain and know what he goes through everyday
  7. 3gs

3gs New Member

I used to watch the Montel show. Seeing him yesterday was such a shock.

But then he talked about how he hid it all those years and would go back stage between segments and lose it. Can relate to that. Too many times I hid it and now I can't everyone still expects me to be the old self.

He made good points on how now he refuses to hide his condition and if he needs to cry even if in public or trips so be it people can just deal with it or not.

Great show hopefully they will do the one on fibro or lyme
  8. FMsaddenedspirit

FMsaddenedspirit New Member

I love Montel .. thanks for sharing , I had no idea he was going to be on the show. I miss his show . I still watch the re runs every day .
    When he did his show he said one time that he would not take any pian meds until after work.. God I don;t know how he did it.. thats the first thing I do when I get up , Could not work if I did not.

Props to Montel .. I will see if I can record the show tonight

Thanks again

I always thought that us women & men with Fibro need to go on one of these talk shows and share our storys .. and get a make over or something . or some sort of help .... so many people don;t have a clue about what we go through every day .. would be an eye opener for sure
  9. bobbycat

bobbycat New Member

I have always thought there was a link. My girlfreind has it and she is unbelivable strong. I admire her.
  10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Montel mentioned about the importance of getting enough Vitamin D. MS is statistically more prevalent in the upper latitudes and researchers have been trying to figure out why. They now believe it could possibly have something to do with reduced sunlight in the Northern Hemisphere. He said he makes sure to take his Vitamin D. Dr. Oz concurred.

Love, Mikie
  11. Empower

Empower New Member

Have there been any studies done on fibromyalgia and location of cases throughout the country??
  12. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

The info I referred to is old and consists of compiled statistics of identified cases of MS in the country. There was a definite increase in Northern areas where there is less sun. It was called the MS Belt. I'm sure there must be more recent research in this area. I don't think anyone believes that Vitamin D deficiency causes MS but Montel did mention the importance of it.

My neighbor is from Michigan and has MS and Fibro. When she told me, about eight years ago, she mentioned having lived in the MS Belt up there.

Love, Mikie
  13. munch1958

munch1958 Member

Like the Better Health Guy, Scott, I believe that MS is caused by infection along with an underlying genetic predisposition. People with the same set of pathogens don't respond in the same exact way to the same set of bugs. See Scott's website:

"A compelling research study entitled "A Geostatistical Analysis of Possible Spirochetal Involvement in Multiple Sclerosis and Other Related Diseases" was conducted by Megan Blewitt and was published in 2006. It compares the prevalence of MS and of Lyme Disease by geographic region. When you take the resulting distributions and compare the two, the result is a near-identical map. The study suggests a common spirochetal cause for both Lyme and MS. "

The details can be found at:

Many of us on this website with CFS and FM have white matter lesions in the brain that show up on MRI. Where did they come from if not from infection? Mine appeared when I was in my
    20's not at age 60. These can't be signs of normal aging.

Many people who thought they had MS have started long term Abx regimen and had some success in halting the progression and/or reversing MS. There are patient stories all over the internet and in many books.

Unfortunately, the Lyme disease is negatively spun in the USA as "hard to catch" and "easy to cure" by one small group of ID idiots. The same doctors who own patents, vaccines and test kits for PROFIT and this overshadows all of the patient stories.

Testing for Lyme is very poor. Until there is a better test that directly tests for the bacteria NOT the antibodies TO THE BACTERIA, I believe (as do many who have done their own research) that everyone with a diagnosis of MS, SLE, FM, CFS, ALS, ADHD, Parkinson's and autism should do a trial of Abx to see if they herx and ultimately get better. A herx (or worsening of symptoms) would indicate some kind of underlying infectious process is present.
  14. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

My illnesses were triggered full blown by a mycoplasma infection. Mycoplasmas, like Lyme, are cell-wall-deficient bacteria and they can change form, depositing latent cysts in the body. These cysts can reactivate if one becomes stressed, run down, sick, etc. FMS, and other immune-related illnesses, run in our family so I believe there is a genetic component as well. Still, no one knows for sure whether any one infectious pathogen is responsible for these illnesses. Also like Lyme, mycoplasmas are extremely difficult to test for. Even PCR DNA tests often return false negatives.

The incidence of all these stealth infections are vastly underestimated.

Just the Herpes-Family of viruses can trigger horrible, long-lasting conditions. They never leave the body and can reactivate from the latent state. Pathogens, and genetic predisposition, may turn out to be the triggers for many illnesses. Toss in the stress of living in the world today and our exposure to toxins on a large scale and you have the "perfect storm" for illness.

Love, Mikie