montel williams pain spray

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by glenda2, Jul 18, 2010.

1. glenda2

glenda2 New Member

has anyone tried montel williams pain spray? i ordered it yesterday buy 1 get 1 free for 19.99.

i sure hope it works..i couldn't find any info about the spray on here.

dr gave me rx for pain patch but it was $200 with my ins. for 30 patches & i was to use 2 at a time in dif areas...needless to say i did not get them..
  2. victoria

victoria New Member

are
    methyl salicylate 12%
    menthol 10%,
    camphor 8%
    2 oz spray is $19.99 but since you get 2 for one it is $9.98 each plus S&H

while Ben Gay's Ultra Strength NonGreasy Pain Relieving Cream has
    methyl salicylate 30%
    menthol 10%;
    camphor 4%)
    4 oz $8.99+

I'm betting there are other competitive products....

of course the real question is whether the different concentrations of the active ingredients make a difference for you. If you've tried Ben Gays' specific product above and it didn't work for you, it will be interesting to see if the different formula makes the difference for you!

good luck! Hope you get relief!

3. glenda2

glenda2 New Member

thank you for you response!! what all have you tried? i have swiss medica fibromyalgia 024 & it use to work great... i assume it still works the same i have just been hurting more.

i have a small thing of tiger balm it doesn't really work. i cant use capsasion(sp).

im thinking about the blu emu next.

i have also tried biofreeze it work just a bit but not enough.. so far my 024 is the best but it 19.99 for 1 0z. i go through it like crazy!!

my fibro is getting worse so at this point i am ready to try anything....except the $200 pain patches for 30 to use 2at a time so it would be $200 for 2 weeks...i just cant afford that..

i would hate to see what people without ins. pay for those pain patches. i heard the work well but i guess i will not find out.

anyway waht all sprays or ointments have you tried that works that does not cost an arm & a leg??
  4. victoria

victoria New Member

I dont have Fibro, but my son had a bad case of Lyme and Bartonella, had and still has occasionally migrating pain in joints/muscles. At one point he had carpal tunnel in both wrists and more. He found DMSO, a pain reliever in itself, combined with some oils to be the most helpful. Unfortunately it is expensive tho only a few drops are needed. The ingredients are:
    1oz bottle, in this order-
    Olive oil, Calendula oil, Arnica oil, St. John's Wort oil, Cayenne, Ginger, Natural Menthol Crystals, Wintergreen, DMSO, Limonene oil, Emu oil, MSM.

It does have the capsaican in it, so dn't know if you could use it anyway.

There are other formulas include MSM and other things, but I don't have experience with any of those.

DMSO is controversial since it is a carrier solvent... so there will be warnings posted here, I'm sure. The key is one doesn't need a lot.

On it's own, all by itself, it's a pain reliever as well, and is relatively cheap. Whether or not you want to try it, is up to you. I know people who use it with success/no side effects... you might want to do some research online and make your own decision. If you do use it, be sure your skin is clean! as it will carry thru your sking whatever residue is on your skin

Hope you find something. I saw my son suffering for a long time... things helped but really hard to not have any pain, he couldn't tolerate any narcotics. With abx and all, it is finally under control, comparatively.

all the best,
    Victoria

[This Message was Edited on 07/18/2010]
    [This Message was Edited on 07/18/2010]
  5. glenda2

glenda2 New Member

what does DMSO stand for & where do you get it at? thank you
  6. victoria

victoria New Member

Dimethyl sulfoxide
    Stanley Jacobs mentioned below wrote a book about it by the way. You can find a lot of online sources for it, alone or combined with other helpful products like MSM.

From Wikipedia:
    Use of DMSO in medicine dates from around 1963, when a University of Oregon Medical School team, headed by Stanley Jacob, discovered it could penetrate the skin and other membranes without damaging them and could carry other compounds into a biological system.

In medicine, DMSO is predominantly used as a topical analgesic, a vehicle for topical application of pharmaceuticals, as an anti-inflammatory, and an antioxidant.[citation needed].

Because DMSO increases the rate of absorption of some compounds through organic tissues including skin, it can be used as a drug delivery system. It is frequently compounded with antifungal medications, enabling them to penetrate not just skin but also toe and fingernails.

Hope that helps!
  7. victoria

victoria New Member

The official site is:
    http://www.dmso.org/

And, the whole Wikipedia article is very interesting... some more about it:

In 1978, the U.S. FDA approved DMSO for treating interstitial cystitis.
    In 1980, the U.S. Congress held hearings on claims that the FDA was slow in approving DMSO for other medical uses.
    In 2007, the U.S. FDA granted "fast track" designation on clinical studies of DMSO's use in reducing brain tissue swelling following traumatic brain injury.[12]

at amazon, the book:
    http://www.amazon.com/DMSO-Natures-Healer-Morton-Walker/dp/0895295482
    Amazon also sell DMSO products, for a starting point maybe...

8. glenda2

glenda2 New Member

thank you so much!!
  9. victoria

victoria New Member

There's a post on the arthritis board from last year about it, Jaminhealth makes her own, and others had good suggestions as well:

http://www.prohealth.com/arthritis/blog/boardDetail.cfm?id=58352

10. glenda2

glenda2 New Member

thank you so very much!!!