Mood Swings

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TaniaF, Sep 15, 2002.

1. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

Do you get times when you get frustrated with everyday life, not really happy and content? I don't think I'm clinically depressed because my symptoms aren't that bad. I get days of what I call "fustration" (who woundn't with our DD).. Anyway does anyone take any natural supplements to combat moods? I have heard of St. John's Wort, 5HTP and Sam-e but don't know much about which one is best. Do they make you feel happier? Are they easy on the stomach? Please post if you have tried any? Don't want to take presciption SSRI's.
    Tania
  2. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

Do you get times when you get frustrated with everyday life, not really happy and content? I don't think I'm clinically depressed because my symptoms aren't that bad. I get days of what I call "fustration" (who woundn't with our DD).. Anyway does anyone take any natural supplements to combat moods? I have heard of St. John's Wort, 5HTP and Sam-e but don't know much about which one is best. Do they make you feel happier? Are they easy on the stomach? Please post if you have tried any? Don't want to take presciption SSRI's.
    Tania
  3. hk

hk New Member

Mood Swings are very common. My Dr. provided me with a drug called Celexa it works okay but I don't recommend it.I am experimenting try to use mind over matter if I can master this then I am going to quit taking the Celexa.
    Good Luck!
    HK
  4. TeresaBnGA

TeresaBnGA New Member

I have heard some people say that St. John's wart worked great for them. Unfortunately natural remedies did not work for me. I get frustrated with the smallest of things. Loud noises are my worst enemy. Too much movement around me gets on my nerves. Bright lights bother me. You get the idea.
    Are you totally against trying anything not natural? Klonopin works well for me.
    Hope this helps!

Soft hugs!
    Teresa :)
  5. kredca4

kredca4 New Member

I some times get down, but it's not a total Depression, and if I'm patient it will go away. It usually occurs around Stressful times, and it's more of a Melancony (SP?) feeling.

I usually try doing some housework to really up-beat music.
    Or take a walk, if I don't have the fatigue that I sometimes get with it. I hang out at a cool website that has a lot of fun things to get my mind off of being down.
    It's at;
    http://www.mamarocks.com

I have been dx so many times by so many different Doctors as being, Anxuous, or depressed and then given Valium or heavy sleeping pills that do just the opposite to me, they wire me.
    Now I get handed anti-depresstations, the lastest was the Celexa.
    I don't like the way they make me feel, and they are over-kill in my opinion for what ails me.

I just try to reduce what ever stressor is causing the feeling, like trying to get the Title changed over to my Name now that my Mom has passed away.
    Hubby's planning on moving here with me, and I worry about him getting work, which is silly, there are so many things he can do, and I worry about Him and His brother traveling here with the boat and all.

The hard part is realizing that I'm getting that depressed look. How many times have stranger's said to you,
    "Smile"? I use to think it was just a pick-up line that guys used, but now the Doctor's are saying it.
    I need to remember to Smile more.

I wish I could take the supplements, but I can't so I just try to out-ride the depression.
    It's better than Pills, because I don't Physically need the Pills they just don't work on me.

I do know that a sister in law of mine use's the Melation, and the St. Johns Worts, and other Supplements and they help her quite a bit. She's always trying to get me to try something, but I am very leary of some of thoes things.
    I've heard good and bad things on both Rx's and Supplements, so I hope one or the other will work for you.

Sincerely,
    kredca4/sharon
  6. Girlof41

Girlof41 New Member

It's like I can't help myself.I am on an antidepressant, Sezone, and it helps a little. I am worse without it. I'm glad it's not only me.
  7. herblady

herblady New Member

no herbs are strong enough for me, since i have schizoaffective disorder. (kind of a combination of schizophrenia and bipolar disease). but for milder problems the st. john's wort is helpful. i would take it with tincture of lemon balm, aka melissa, also known to lift moods. sam e works well, i've tried it. 5 htp helped me sleep. i guess you just kind of have to try them and see. that's what i do. cindi