More antibiotics for reoccuring lyme symptoms?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Trice, Apr 1, 2003.

1. Trice

Trice New Member

Hi! I've been reading the message board for a long time, but this is my first post. I need some thoughts on further antibiotic treatment for reoccuring lyme symtoms. In 1989 I was diagnosed with Lyme disease, after having symptoms for over a year. I was living in NJ at the time and when the symptoms first occured, I had a negative Lyme titer. A year later a lyme urine antigen test came back positive. So, I was treated with IV Rocephin for 30 days, with great improvement. Through the years, when my symptoms were severe (they've never gone away,) I was treated with either IV or oral antibiotics and always had a herxheimer reaction. We have since moved back to TX...my home state...and in recent years, it's been thought that all my symptoms are due to fibromyalgia. I'm very fortunate to have a neurologist, here in Dallas (Richardson), that's listed on this website. I haven't had any antibiotic treatment for about 6 years and hadn't even thought of the possiblity, that the Lyme had returned, until recently. My symptoms are very severe...extreme fatigue, severe muscle/joint pain, headaches, weakness, brain fog, etc., etc. But the one symptom that I've always had, when the Lyme reoccured, is an odd one, that I'm now having. Even though I've been in menopause for two years (I'm 50), I've started having vaginal bleeding. Okay, so I go to my gynecologist, who does an endometrial biopsy, which comes back negative. Thank goodness! She then changes my hormone patch, with no results. One day I was reading the posts and I ran accross one, with the article by Audrey Stein Goldings, M.D., which says that more and longer antibiotic treatments may be needed. Ding! A light went on, and I wondered if this was my answer, to this darn annoying symptom. So, I call my doctor and he has me fax the article. He wants me to come in and discuss this, and of course, the first appointment I can get is April 11th. I'm not sure what his view on this is going to be. What bothers me, is a report by the NIAID in 2001, that found that long term IV or oral antibiotics, was no better than a placebo at improving symptoms. So, if anyone can give me some thoughts and opinions on this I would appreciate it. Also, has anyone else has this "odd and annoying symptom"? Thanks!
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

You know your own body and how it has reacted in the past. Long-term antibiotic therapy is not something to be taken lightly, but it sure beats being eaten alive by pathogens. Sorry to be so graphic here, but in essence, it's true.

Good luck.

Love, Mikie
  3. JAREDKIRI

JAREDKIRI New Member

HI,

I WAS MISDIAGNOSED FOR 7 YEARS WITH CFS WHEN IT TURNED OUT TO BE LYME DISEASE.

I'VE BEEN SICK FOR 10 YEARS AND ALMOST DIED. I AM 33 YEARS OLD AND HAVE BEEN ON IV ABX'S TWICE ALONG WITH MONTHS OF ORALS.

MY LYME IS ALSO STILL POSITIVE. HAVE YOU BEEN TESTED FOR BABESIA, BARTONELLA, AND ECHLICIOSIS?

GO TO WWW.IGENEX.COM OR WWW.MDLAB.COM. YOU SHOULD BE RETESTED FOR LYME AND THESE COINFECTIONS IF SYMPTOMS ARE BACK. MY SYMPTOMS ARE CONSTANT. WE ARE TRYING TO FIGHT THIS THING BUT IT IS TOUGH.

EMAIL ME IF YOU WANT AT KIERSTYN94@MSN.COM

THESE ARE THE ONLY TWO LABS I TRUST.

LOVE,
    BRENDA