More Books Books Books and asides

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Marta608, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Hello again,

I turned a new page in our book discussion. Every bit of energy counts.

As I said on the old thread, Dar, I hijacked my own thread but I do appreciate the info re: Lyme testing. If we have a Lyme Board I'll go there for further discussion so as not to distract our gentle readers. :>) At least most of us are usually gentle. We know they're readers.

Rock! Yes! I remember Dick, Jane and Spot and how they watched each other run. They must have done other things but I can't remember it. I also recall that my mother wore a hat and gloves to see the doctor. It saved time undressing. No, actually, she was very dressed up. Stockings, high heels and her very best clothes. They did that in the days that doctors were Gods and cured everything.......

I'm wondering about possible value of a collection of Hardy Boys books I have but more important and more useless to me are two pricey books on Salvador Dali. They were expensive even 20 years ago when I bought them for an artist beau.

They're in good condition and translated from French with some of his sayings on book jacket flaps. "If intelligence does not exist at birth, it will not exist at all." "If men go on dying, blame Jules Vere, he was logical". Etc.

When I broke up with the beau he foolishly gave the books back to me -(and threw the gas grill he'd given me in the street but that's a whole different thread too). I don't care for Dali so I must find a dealer so I can sell them. Maybe then I can afford the IGneX Lyme test.

Rock, you have named the cats? You're a goner - they're yours. And did your apartment pass its inspection? I assume so or you'd be writing us from your yard.

Last night I began a very mellow book which I first thought might be too fluffy but it may not. Its title is Things We Once Held Dear by Anne Tatlock. A far cry from Reacher so stay tuned.

2. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

over here we had Janet and John 'Run Janet Run' 'See Janet Run'. Janet is my name, at five years old, I thought it was great that our first reading book had my name in it.

Glad your apartment passed inspection Rock. Marta's right, you've named your cats, they're yours but I'm sure they all know who their carer is anyway, lucky kitties to have you.

Lyme - thanks for the info Mollystwin. I wish I had known that last week when I went to see the endocronoligist (crone she was) - she was SO adamant that I couldn't have Lyme because I never had the rash and I have no idea what test she uses, but its likely the one that costs the least amount of money. Will investigate what the costs are to have it done privately once I get the crone's findings.

Salvador Dali - went to see his Museum in Feurges, Spain, ten years ago, the most amazing building ever - it is pink with plaster loafs of bread all over, huge figures on top and inside of course Dali's work. I wanted to show it on a 'what/ where is this' post but couldn't get the photo.

I think you were lucky to get the books rather than the gas grill Marta.

[This Message was Edited on 08/02/2007]
  3. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

These books always struck me as being like haiku. My mother, quite mad in most respects, read Alice in Wonderland to me when I was pre-verbal. Which is, come to think of it, in keeping with being quite mad.

Anyway, in grade one, when I was introduced to the world of Dick and Jane and the seeing and the running, it was all very esoteric and I simply assumed that this was some particular genre (not a word I knew!) of very soothing literature.

I found it mesmerizing. I was absolutely fascinated by it. These two perfect children, their perfect dog and their completely unadorned experience. It was positively Zen.

We had recently come to Canada from England where I was taught to read at 4 and had already gobbled up all of Beatrix Potter by the time we arrived here just prior to my turning 5.

For a short time, I assumed that Fun with Dick and Jane summed up the suburban north American experience. No bunnies would lose their tails to grumpy farmers and everyone was perpetually seeing, running and smiling.

I wondered if I would change now that I was living in this new land. Would I, too, simply see, run, look and would life become blissfully uncomplicated because it would no longer have a plot? Did we leave plots in the other culture? Everyone on my street looked just like Dick and Jane when they were outside seeing spot run!

Inside their homes, I was to discover, not so much! There were plots a plenty just like at home.

I had no idea that I had any desire to muse on Dick and Jane but I actually remember this experience very clearly. How odd since all memory of this morning is already fading into the mists of time!

See Rafiki lie down.

4. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

"See Rafiki lie down."

The Dick and Jane books (little history here, folks) replaced McGuffey's Readers, the most popular texts in history. Dick and Jane appeared in the 1930s, a century after the introduction of the McGuffey's books.

What many people do not know, is that Dick and Jane came from Japan. They appeared in the 30s and instantly became popular. When WWII broke out, the govt. moved to hush up the Japanese connection.

Originally Dick and Jane were based on haiku. (McGuffey's Readers actually predated the development of haiku.)

Dick was named Itchimoro and Jane was Peony Blossum. Can't remember Spot's original name. Puff the cat was the only character that kept it's original name. Of course the Japanese pronouonced it somewhat differently: Pu-fu-yee.

You may remember that in the first edition, the characters ate a lot of rice and seafood. This was modified in later editions to hambergers and french fries (which are not French).

The Dick and Jane books faded away in the 1970s due to their lack of multi-culturalism and failure to teach phonics.

I can still remember using Dick and Jane in first grade. Even then I found them boring. Uncle Wiggley and Winnie the Pooh had lots more action.

(Reader from way back.)
    Note: "way back" is not the same as "the out back".
  5. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

If you have Florida swampland, I suggest you sell it to me! Shhhh! In a few minutes I will have totally forgotten about this and you can get started... shhhh!

So, I read what you wrote and thought: OMG! They were based on Haikus -- how bizarre is that!!! (LMAO!)

I was confused re McGuffey's predating Haiku but thought: even Rockie can't know everything! However, doubt was creeping into my foggy noggin by this point.

By the time I got to Peony Blossom I was nearly peoning my pants with laughter... at your marvelous brain and at my incredible gullibility!

Ever been to Florida?

Peace out,

6. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Rosie, I can imagine your delight at having books named after you! Janet and John seem ever so much more distinguished than Dick and Jane. Of course that's before all the boys called Dick became tired of the jokes at their expense and renamed themselves Rick. I've known many Dick/Ricks in my lifetime. The renaming happened mostly in the 80's as I recall.

Rafiki, I repeat myself but you write so beautifully I wish you'd do it for money. While you were reading Beatrix Potter I was with Rocky reading Peter Rabbit and friends. They were followed by Gone with the Wind which I've decided ruined my life since I kept expecting Rhett to save me all my life.

Rock, I did not know about the haiku of the Japanese Richard and Jane. It makes sense.

I've heard about some wonderful children's books lately (good ole NPR) that I want to get, just because. Must be my second childhood which I'm determined will go better than my first. I have a friend with CFS whom I'm trying to convince to write a children's book about a sick chipmunk who wants to run with the other chipmunks but has to learn to watch instead. I want to illustrate it. Watch this space. ;>)

7. Marta608

Marta608 Member

The simplicity of Richard and Jane makes perfect haiku sense to me. Rafiki, you know him better than I do.

The Rock stikes again!

8. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

My husbands granny used the McGuffey's readers when she first started teaching. That's how old she is (was)!

I wonder how much a copy of those would fetch!
  9. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

did he get you, too?! He's such a wily one! I laughed and laughed when I caught on but it took forever! I'm happy not to be the only one!

Beatrix wrote Peter Rabbit. We were all experiencing the horror of the picture of that little tail, sans bunny, together!

From Peter Rabbit to Gone With The Wind is quite the leap! I can see how an impressionable young mind might be led astray!

peace out,
    [This Message was Edited on 08/02/2007]
  10. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

Rock certainly got me, I even went and looked Haiku up......

Yes you do string a sentence along beautifully Rafkhi.

11. fivesue

fivesue New Member

You had me going until you mentioned the books with vegetables and fish...not in the US in the 30's...and then I got to thinking...the Japanese were in the process of slaughtering the Chinese then, taking over the South Pacific...

Our country would never had gotten books for school children from Imperialist Japan...

But, you had me going.

You are a rascal, that's for sure. Love it when a plan comes togther.

12. mezombie

mezombie Member

You're much too clever for us!
  13. rockgor

I'm not too clever. You guys are just starved for entertainmnet.

Am currently trudging thru Harry Potter. Gordon and I have read all the previous books. The final book is 758 pages; I have about 300 to go.

Anybody ever read Peg Bracken? She had some great books about 40 years ago. "The I Hate to Cook Book" was a bestseller. It is is a cookbook w/ a lot of chitchat in it.

"A Window over the Sink" is also good. Just discussion about getting the kitchen remodled, etc. If you're looking for a new author, you might want to take a look.

Ha det bra
    (Have it good in Norskie.)

14. fivesue

fivesue New Member

...we are starved for entertainment.

Thanks for taking on the job.

Haven't read that author but may give her a go...let us know how the HP book comes out.

Guten Tag, Herr Rock!

Thanks for the laugh.

15. Marta608

Marta608 Member

This seems to explain the way I feel lately and I thought you all might relate:

A Jewish grandma and her grandson are at the beach. He's playing in the water, she is standing on the shore not wanting to get her feet wet, when all of a sudden, a huge wave appears from nowhere and crashes directly onto the spot where the boy is wading. The water recedes and the boy is no longer there. He was swept away.

The grandma holds her hands to the sky, screams and cries: Lord, my GOD, how could you? Haven't I been a wonderful grandmother? A voice booms from the sky, "All right already!"

A moment later another huge wave appears out of nowhere and crashes on the beach. As the water recedes, the boy is standing there. He is smiling and splashing around as if nothing had ever happened.

The voice booms again. "I have returned your grandson. Are you satisfied?"

She responds, "He had a hat."

16. rockgor

Danke, Sue. Hope your Tag ist guten also.

Was it aside, Marta? Thought the grandkid was right in front of her. He must have been wearing a yarmulke.

Back in the 40s, when I lived in Minnesota, my grandma worked for a wealthy Jewish family in Chicago. One Christmas she brought me a colorful, hand-embrodered yarmulke for Christmas.

I, of course, thought it was a beanie and wore it w/ great pleasure. Nobody in our village of Norwegian and German ancestry knew what it was either.

Here's a joke I heard from a Jewish coworker decades ago:

Jewish lady running down the beach. "Help, help! My son, the certified public accountant, is drowning."

Mazel Tov everybody.

17. Marta608

Marta608 Member

That gave me a good evening chuckle. Thanks.