More Energy and More Pain after FFC Visit

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by rileyearl, Sep 7, 2005.

1. rileyearl

rileyearl New Member

I went to the Seattle FFC for my initial consultation on 8/31 and have had so much more energy from the vitamins they prescribed (and possibly from the T3 thyroid, but I think it's too early for that to kick in.) While it's great to have more energy than I've had in years, the pain levels seem to have increased, as well.

I can barely walk. My legs are so sore. I went for a massage and the guy told me my whole body is tensed up. I didn't even know it. Maybe my muscles have been that way forever. I don't know. This week I've been taking 10mg of hydrocodone every 4-6 hours. I'm getting so tired of this. Grrr. The only time I can get any work done is when I'm doped up and that causes me to make stupid mistakes. I may be able to turn my business into a nonprofit without even trying.

I can't soak in the tub because it hurts too much to get in and out. This flare has lasted since June, getting slightly better and now worse. Maybe I'm just feeling it more because I have more energy and am able to stay awake a lot more.

Does anyone have any tricks for coping with pain in hips, knees and leg muscles? Something to rub on or some magic tea or something? I never know whether to use heat or ice. I read MPS takes on and FMS takes the other. That's way too confusing for me. The sore spots for both syndromes are in the same places.

Thanks in advance,

Francie
  2. laura81655

laura81655 New Member

When you wrote " it hurts so much to get in and out of the tub", I could sooo relate to that. My feet have been really bad for the last 8 months. The inactivity is affecting my knees and legs.

Is there any way you could try a warm pool through Physical Therapy to help with the leg and knee pain? It may give you some relief.

I have been using a compound cream called Ketoprophen 20% with 3% Neurontin. It has a cumulative effect, it started helping my feet, leg pain after applying it twice a day.

I'm sure the doctor from the FFC could order it for you, but it is not cheap, $50.00 for a few ounces.

I hope you get some relief soon!

-Laura
  3. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

I use (just recently) Biofreeze, and I also use heat. I have both FM and CMPS, and the heat helps to relax my muscles the best. Cold would just tighten them up more.
  4. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

Many rave about thier heating pads or microwave rice bags (keep meaning to get one). I tend to wrap myself in wool or take a hot bath when I get the painful chill. IN the summer, I can only imagine ice is the way to go.

I was at a friends, stuck w/out painkiller and had killer lowback pain, didn't know I had fibro back then. He convinced me to try his freezer packs, which I really didn't want to try. I dind't think it would work, and I hate being cold and get chills easy. Worked well though.

Magic teas? I wish, but I do have some tea blends that help some. A mix of St. John's Wort (makes a nice yellow, slightly sweet tea) catnip (mint family) and chamomile can reduce pain and make you quite mellow, sometimes even sleepy. I usually skip the chamomile and use dandelion (for the liver and blood), but most love it. If I'm blue and/or cranky the chamomile does help though.

Jeanne
  5. ldbgcoleman

ldbgcoleman New Member

Hang in there! I had many moments of wanting to quit or feeling bad about the treatments not working for me at first. I started in early MAy. IT took a full four months for me to see noticeable differences. I am feeling really good now. Not 100% but I can do thingsI never thought I would do again. You havew just begun to attack your problems and they haven't figured out everything yet. Continue along int he process and I know in a few months the pain will be better.

I got worse before I got better and had a lot of ups and downs before things started to even out a little. Take care and keep us updated on how you are doing. Lynn
  6. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Francie:
    The only part of your question I can answer is about the heating pad. My Fibromyalgia doctor has me on one and just about everytime I sit down: on it goes.
    It has made a big difference and I can put it wherever is sore or aching.
    Regarding bathing, I dread the shower. I have put myself on an every other day schedule, whereas before it was everyday.
    I hope all works out for you,
    Hugs,
    NyroFan
  7. orachel

orachel New Member

Interesting to read your experience with FFC...I've looked into it extensively, but just cannot swing the cost as am totally unable to work now, and what used to be a 2 income family is now one, and holy medical bills!
    Anyway, responding to your question about pain in hips, knees and ankles...I've only been diagnosed for month, and symptomatic for about 3-4 mos, but my pain seems to be centralized to hip/knee area most of the time...not muscle type pain for me, feels like glass grinding in joints, makes walking very difficult and painful, and when sitting or lying, pain just throbs. None of my meds seem to work for the pain much, but docs won't prescribe narcotics for me, so maybe that would help some. Funny thing I found really does seem to work quite well often. Theragesic...its like a rub on cream got at the pharmacy (like icy hot, but much much stonger). It stings a bit, but really seems to help with hip and knee pain. Of course, I walk around smelling like a locker room, but hey, whatever works, right?