More Extreme couponing

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by TwoCatDoctors, Sep 10, 2011.

1. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

In changing TV channels I saw where a woman that does extreme couponing at grocery stores had 5,000 Sunday newspaper coupon inserts, but refused to state for the cameras where she got those inserts. The article below states people are stealing the coupon inserts out of the Sunday newspapers-- extreme couponing is getting that intense.

The supermarket that I use does not double $1.00 coupons and will double coupons only to make them up to $1.00 and nothing more. If you have a coupon for a free item, it is never doubled. AND they used to accept coupons from other supermarkets, but stoppped that as of last month. Supermarkets are tightening up. I use coupons, but I am not an extreme couponer. I couldn't take on that much work and haul all that stuff.

Read the article below to understand what is happening and then to receive some hassle free guidelines on using coupons.
    [This Message was Edited on 09/10/2011]
  2. wildflowers23

wildflowers23 Member

About a month or so back there was an article on the news that said the stores are
    changing all their policies since the airing of extreme couponing.
  3. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

quite a few times. It showed a few people going 'dumpster diving' and retrieving coupons that had been thrown away as garbage, which I would assume is okay. They also showed another lady that walks several miles every morning for exercise, and picks them up from neighbors on her 'route'. Some people who know her even have bundles of coupons ready for her!

The lady that I liked best does her extreme couponing on behalf of her local food pantry..donates all of the groceries that she gets via extreme couponing!!

4. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

I've never seen coupons for produce. But on our local TV news, a reporter talked about coupons for berries. A company named Driscoll's grows raspberries, blueberries, strawberries and blackberries that I know of (both organic and non-organic). The reporter mentioned if you go to their site and sign up for their e-mails you get a coupon for 50 cents off berries right away, then get a coupon for free berries on your birthday (and you can make up what your birth date is because not everyone wants to have that type of secured info on the internet). the reporter mentioned that from time to time Driscoll's may send coupons through the e-mail.

I subscribed through the e-mail and was immediately e-mailed a 50 cents coupon towards any berries that are Driscoll's. that would double in my supermarket and become a $1.00 coupon towards any berries I desire. I have to wait and see how it works for everything else. But I'm glad to see at least a coupon towards produce and I'll let everyone know how it works out in 6 months to a year.
  5. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

Driscolls has really good berries and I get them all the time at our supermarket and raspberries are my favorite. On their website, it tells what they grow, the areas they grow and at what times of the year, and they even grow golden raspberries, which I have never seen at all (maybe they go to speciality stores or to florists and such that do fruit baskets).

I've never seen produce coupons, so it was a big deal to me to get a coupon on any type of berries I wanted. I've never seen a Driscoll's coupon in any flyer, and they do apparently do them strictly by e-mail.

6. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

Driscolls produce is excellent quality and I buy it often. Good to know they are offfering coupons. Thanks for the heads up!!

My local Stop and Shop gives out after purchase coupons for future purchases and I got a few recently that were good on $2 worth of produce on a $9 purchase which is a pretty good deal. I've also gotten into the habit of keeping these coupons in my wallet, so I won't forget them!