More info about MVPS

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by cerise, Apr 6, 2006.

1. cerise

cerise New Member

In response to previous posts, here's more info about MVPS (Mitral Valve Prolapse Syndrome).

This information is from the Society for MVPS newsletter "And the Beat Goes On". Their website is www.mitralvalveprolapse.com. This is a nonprofit, charitable organization.

The majority of symptoms of MVPS are due to an imbalance in the function of the autonmic nervous system (ANS), a condition known as dysautonomia.

(FOR MORE INFO ABOUT DYSAUTONOMIA, check out the National Dysautonomia Research Foundation www.ndrf.org.)

Diagnosis of dysautonomia (MVP Syndrome) is a CLINICAL diagnosis NOT REQUIRING THE PROLAPSE OF THE MITRAL VALVE to confirm or deny that diagnosis.

According to the MVPS newletter I recently received the symptoms of MVPS are:

> Fatigue and weakness. Many MVP Syndrome patients tire easily. Minimal exertion, exercise, or light housework can result in exhaustion.

> Irregular heartbeat. These heart palpitations are sometimes associated with breathlessness and an urge to cough.

> Sped-up heart rate, known as tachycardia. The patient may feel as though his or her heart is pounding at a rate inappropriate for an activity, such as experiencing a 40 beat boost simply from standing up.

> Chest pain, dull or sharp pain can occur anywhere in the chest. This symptom is often caused by esophageal problems.

> Psychological problems. These include depression, anxiety, and panic attacks. MVPS patients also may suffer mood swings. It is reported that 70% of MVPS patients suffer from depression.

> Sleeplessness. Many patients have trouble falling asleep and when they finally do they have a tendency to wake up several times during the night. MANY PEOPLE REPORT WAKING UP AT APPROZIMATELY 3:00 AM EVERY MORNING.

> Cold hands and feet. Many patients also report tingling or numbnes in the hands and feet.

> Irritable bowel. Patients may have diarrhea and/or constipation. 60% of MVPS patients have IBS.

> Dizziness and lightheadedness.

> Numbness in any part of the body.

> Migraine headaches.

> Shortness of breath.

> Neck aches or pains.

> Shakiness.

> Intestinal troubles.

> Muscle twitches.

> Faintaing spells.

Some other conditions appear to be associated MVP. These include:
    > temporomandibular joint pain (TMJ)
    > spine curving scoliosis
    > double-jointedness.

Like MVP, these conditions relate to abnormalities of the connective tissue collagen.

It is believed that many MVPS patients have a faulty thirst mechanism which often leads to inadequate fluid intake.

>>> Some experts believe thaat MVPS patients have a longer life span than the normal population.

This is just SOME of the information from "And the Beat goes On" newsletter. Again, check out their website for more information.

Hope this information helps out with some of the questions being asked. As always, check with your doctor if you think this may be affecting you. I know I am!
  2. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

cerise .. thanks for the added information on MVP .. I'm curious about the two statements .. one about waking up around the 3 AM mark .. that is very weird .. isn't it ? haha .. and a longer life span .. I'm amazed since we are so touchy and startle easily .. you would thin that would wear us out faster ! haha
    Fudge : )
  3. cerise

cerise New Member

Go to my post about Do you wake up at 3am regularly? You are not alone!!!!
  4. code34me

code34me New Member

I am just amazed at this post! I have had MVP since my early 20's. That article discribed my symptoms to the "T"!!! I am going to print it and go to that web-site fight now.

Thanks Cerise!

Take care of you! Codey/Carol