More interesting discoveries regarding GRAPESEED EXTRACT

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sleepyinlalaland, Jan 5, 2009.

1. sleepyinlalaland

sleepyinlalaland New Member

I know there are passionate proponents of this supplement on this board, and I have no opinion. I have it, but can't remember to take it regularly enough! Anyway, I saw this on ScienceDaily the other day (which prints breaking health/science news) and thought this was of interest. Do keep in mind they are referring to LABORATORY leukemia.

ScienceDaily (Jan. 1, 2009) —

An extract from grape seeds forces laboratory leukemia cells to commit cell suicide, according to researchers from the University of Kentucky. They found that within 24 hours, 76 percent of leukemia cells had died after being exposed to the extract.

Using a commercially available grape seed extract, Shi exposed leukemia cells to the extract in different doses and found the marked effect in causing apoptosis in these cells at one of the higher doses.

They also discovered that the extract does not affect normal cells, although they don't know why.

The researchers then used pharmacologic and genetic approaches to determine how the extract induced apoptosis. They found that the extract strongly activated the JNK pathway, which then led to up-regulation of Cip/p21, which controls the cell cycle.

They checked this finding by using an agent that inhibited JNK, and found that the extract was ineffective. Using a genetic approach – silencing the JNK gene – also disarmed grape seed extract's lethal attack in leukemia cells.

"This is a natural compound that appears to have relatively important properties," Shi said.