More migraines during summer season, never ending

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lenasvn, May 26, 2006.

1. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

I've noticed that every year around the time when it starts to warm up and the sun shines, the weather pressure changes etc. I get migraines- daily.

I have Imitrex and Topamax. It goes on and on, and the pain spreads (because of tension?) to the back of my skull and neck muscles.

It is the same every year. Pain above my eye, behind my eye- heck- sometimes it feels like my eyeball is going to explode.

I may have less flu-like aches and pains, or less intense, but the trade off is really hard to cope with.

Does any of you have the same pattern with your FM/CFS?
    It appears to be a sensitivity to enviroment, air pressure, warmth (call it HEAT), light sensitivity. I spent so many years like this.

We all know the neurological link in our illness, maybe this is a neurological reaction? I get more tension in my neck, and it accually feels like the spine gets swollen.

Thanks for letting me pour it out, today my meds didn't work, and I have a LONG summer ahead of me,,,phew!

I worry about stroke factor too, my fibro-mom (LOL!) had her strokes in the summer, and also have more migraines during the summer.

many hugs,

[This Message was Edited on 05/26/2006]
  2. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

3. findmind

findmind New Member

I had those terrible migraines for years, before dx'd with CFS/FM/IBS, etc.

I went to a very, very good, Chinese acupuncturist woman to get help for my Fm, and after 6 treatments the migraines were gone, and almost no FM pain! It was something that saved my life, literally.

Yes, the summers were filled with pain and agony, and I'm so sorry you are having this now. Have you tried acupuncture? I was on "triple therapy" including Inderal, Elavil, and something else at the time, but it did not help me one bit.

I had daily migraines, but at the time I was able to sleep (no fm/cfs, lol), so it was the only time I didn't feel them.

I hope you find some way to relieve yours so you can enjoy the summer before the long winters come again....

Many hugs,
    findmind
  4. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

Findmind,

thanks for the reply, it verifies what I suspect, that it intensifies during the warm season.

Unfortunately I can not afford anything right now, but I have an appointment with a Rheumy to verify diagnosis of FM, so hopefully he is really good, that's what I've heard.

If so, he may have some options for my migraine treatment as well!

(((HUGS)))

5. mrpain

mrpain New Member

I get them far to frequent. Once it starts I know it will continue anywhere from 24 to 48 hours. They are awful. What do you do when they start and how do you handle them? My doctor gave me something that didn't work and I've tried imitrex; and that didn't work either...Mine is always behind one eye also..Throbs & pounds!
  6. bigmh

bigmh New Member

Hi lenasvn,

I have had terrible migraines for 6 years, and have unfortunately passed them on to my children (18 and 21). Your post rang a bell with me because my son's migraines are much worse in the summer.

If he doesn't drink enough water, he gets migraines. Also, I think that they have something to do with his allergies, because if he is working outside in the summer, they are much worse. Would either of these things be true for you?

I have finally found that Nortriptyline and Inderal taken together have prevented many migraines for me. I hope that you find an answer for yours as they are so miserable.

Hope this helps...blessings, Ann
  7. rachel432

rachel432 New Member

my headaches seem to get worse at this time of the year but they seem to be completly dependent on the pressure changes with thunderstorms. as soon as it starts raining a lot in the spring mine get worse and they will go on for days if the rain doesn't let up. last year was the best headache year i had ever had, i went almost all spring and summer without any headaches. however, i live in the chicago area and we were in a drought. it barely rained at all. i'm not so lucky this year. i've been absolutely miserable the last couple of weeks, i want the drought back.
    rachel
  8. KateMac329

KateMac329 New Member

Hi,
    I haven't been on the board in about two weeks due to severe migraines and headaches.

The Saturday before Mother's Day I got a really bad headache that turned into a migraine. On Mother's Day (my first) my husband had to take me to the emergency room where I got an Imitrex shot and then a pain shot and a phengran shot. Not to mention the three tablets of Zomig I took Saturday evening to Sunday before finally going to emergency room.

My husband then had to take Tuesday off because the migraine had NOT let up. I honestly don't remember Monday. I was so sick with the migraine and took so much tylenol and zomig I don't know how I cared for my son but I did.

When my husband took me to the doctor on Tuesday they gave me pill form of Imitrex and then a pain shot and a phengran shot.

Still it wouldn't let up and took more Zomig at home.

Friday the migraine finally let up but I have had a horrible cluster headache since. Seriously! I have a headache constantly with no let up but the degrees of pain just vary throughout the days and nights.

My doctor sent me for an MRI because I am also experiencing severe Vertigo but the MRI was fine, nothing wrong with me apparently. I guess that is kind of a good thing but I am in pain!

I have completely changed all my supplements and prescription meds and food around trying to find my trigger. Nothing works!

I had been on Mangosteen juice for a couple of weeks which was actually making my pain and fatigue better but had to stop that thinking maybe it was the trigger. I don't think it is which is good because now the FM and CFS are starting to flare again and I need to start drinking it again.

Okay so my whole point to telling you this is you were asking about migraines. What you were describing also sounds like a cluster headache. They and migraines go hand in hand. I have never had one until this bout that won't let up.

I honestly don't know how I am looking at this screen. The light is killing me and concentrating on the actual letters and words is horrible.

There is a new migraine med out but I forgot what it is called. It starts with an "R". I wish I could remember!

Anyway after having a migraine/cluster headache for two weeks my doctor is sending me to an ENT. My appoinment is on Thursday. Apparently they don't think I am in any pain and can wait to see another doctor.

Hopefully this guy will find some relief for me. For the past two weeks each morning when I wake up I tell my husband I think I am going crazy because of the headaches. I don't wish this on ANYONE!!!! I just feel like I am losing my mind from the pain. Does that make sense?

I forgot to mention that one thing to keep in mind is that this year has been the WORST allergy and sinus season EVER! It has been stated by several specialty doctors.

I know personally I have really bad allergies so maybe this is just an allergy related thing but I am trying to rule everything out. Unfortunately I can't hole up in my house for the rest of the summer.

Okay well my head can't take this anymore. I was going to write a post telling everyone hi since I haven't been around but my head hurts way to bad. Say hi to everyone for me please?

I hope this helps you. I thought you would be interested in the cluster headache thing. Just Google it and you will find some good info.

(((HUGS)))

kate

P.S. I do normally have a yearly pattern of migraines but it doesn't happen until the fall. I am severely allergic to what they spray on the cotton and I am surrounded by it so it makes me pretty sick. This bout that I am dealing with now is a complete mystery. AND they don't last like this. Maybe a day or two and it is gone (with meds though). I havne't ever had one go away on it's own which stinks because I have a definant reaction to the meds they give for migraines.

Okay sorry for rambling. I get a little whoozy and weird when I am in pain.

Tell me about your migraines and if you think it could be a cluster.

((HUGS))