More on my brother

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Greenbean7, Jan 14, 2008.

1. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

First, thank you all for your prayers and those cyber hugs.

My brother has improved some, but his kidneys are still not functioning properly. He had another blood cleaning treatment, other than the dialysis on Saturday and was scheduled for that again this morning. He will have dialysis again tomorrow.

The doctors hope the dialysis and blood cleansing (something about removing platlets and replacing them with am-something, they lost me) will help to get the burdon off of his kidneys so they will begin to function normally again.

The cancer is actually a secondary concern right now as they work on kidney function. The kidneys need to be working properly before they can start treating the cancer. The cancer is not life threatening at the moment, the kidney problem is.

From what I understand the cancer should be treatable, not curable, but treatable. They haven't determined yet what stage it is for sure, but since it has affected his kidneys they are concerned that it is going to be too late to control it with oral chemo and he will need radiation instead and possibly a bone marrow transplant.

Does anyone know if there would be a problem with me giving marrow since I have fibro and epilepsy? I've told you about my older sister and she and I are the only two "whole" siblings. I don't think sis could handle donating, but she could surprise me if bro's life were on the line.

There are ten of us but we three are from Mom's first marriage (our dad died when I was 3 months old), there are 3 "halves" and four steps. So of the five of Mom's kids my sister and I are probably the closest match.

He also has 3 sons and I have two daughters, all of whom could also be a match. I just don't know how it all works and hope we don't have to find out.

I did spend the weekend with my sis and nephew who came down from Spokane. She did ok. Tonight she will be alone as her partner has to work and she won't be home until tomorrow morning around nine. Fortunately sis has a rally obedience class with her dogs tonight and that will keep her busy.

So, again, thank you all!

2. laceymae

laceymae New Member

glad for the update. I had posted a message on the worship board for you.

Sounds like he is getting pretty good care now.

As for the bone marrow I have no clue.
    just wanted to let you know I am praying for you and your family.

3. kellyann

kellyann New Member

I am so sorry to hear of your broters health problems. I will pray for him and for you. Your sister may surprise you and step up to the plate if she is needed. You never really know how people will react. I'm sure she'll do the best she can anyway. You just try and take care of yourself too.

My thoughts and prayers are with you!
  4. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Thank you for the update on your brother's condition.

I'm not sure about donating bone marrow either but I'm sure the hospital could help you with the guidelines.

Sending you tons of huge cyber hugs....

5. jmq

jmq New Member

I am so sorry your brother is so sick. I can only imagine how scarry it is...trying to understand the drs and figuring out what you can do.

I just have to tell you that your brother is one lucky man to have a sister like you. Even if you are not a match to help him, you sound like you will be by his side through it all.....and that is so important.

I hope during this stressful time, you are taking care of yourself....get rest, eat well, take your medicines etc.

I have now added you and your brother to my prayer list.

6. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

Thank you all!

No updates yesterday and he is so sleepy after his plasma treatment that he sleeps for hours so Sis didn't visit yesterday. I can't go every day because I live 40 miles away but he know he can call me if he's bored and wants to chat.

I was so exhausted after my trip to my sister's and not getting enough sleep without my own bed that I went to bed before 7 on Sunday! Then, of course, I kept waking up but I did sleep very well from 7 to around 10.

I'm trying to keep to my regular schedule to avoid a migraine!

I'll keep you updated and thank you again!