More on Pain Med and Guilt

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Greenbean7, May 30, 2006.

1. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

I rarely get through a day with out pain meds. And I do feel guilty, not only because I am taking these every day, but because I feel that my DH is in worse pain than I am due to back injuries and he usually just takes aspirin.

I know he hurts, he can't reach his feet to put his socks on because his back hurts so bad. He uses a device to get his socks over his toes and pull them up with out having to bend over.

He is retired but has been helping a neighbor build a house and making me waist high planter boxes so I won't have to bend or get down on my knees to do a little gardening.

Every night when he comes in he can hardly move. He groans when he gets out of his chair. He does take my muscle relaxers and has gone through all of the Fiorinal I take for migraines (except for the ones in my purse). I can't tell him no, he really hurts!

So I always feel like a wimp, like I surrendered to the pain and took the pill.

I also worry that I take too much. I take vicadin. I have 750 mg and 500 mg. I seem to always end up taking the 750's twice everyday and sometimes a 500 after I get home because I hurt so badly.

Pain is enough, guilt just makes everything worse!!

Hugzz
    Greenbean
  2. JewelRA

JewelRA New Member

I am so over feeling guilty about taking pain medicine!! I am taking Lortab 2-4 times a day with Tylenol Arthritis in between just to make it through the day. I have had broken bones in my back, juvenile rheumatoid arthritis, a tumor on my neck that needs to be removed, and now probably Fibro on top of everything. I have 2 small children that need raising and a husband and a home. No guilt involved at all here.

Please don't be hard on yourself about it. It will only make you feel worse. If you need it, you need it! Sounds like your dh needs to ask HIS doctor for some help with pain too if he is taking your meds!
  3. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

You're right about the DH needing to go to the doc for his pain. So hard to get some of these guys to go see a doc!!

If I didn't work full time and take care of my DH, home, and my two fuzzy kids, I probably wouldn't be in this much pain.

Taking care of his mom for three weeks after her surgery for colon cancer hasn't helped my pain, tension, or depression in the least! She went home on Saturday and I am still trying to unwide from having her with us. (She hit my dog!! I still can't believe she hit my dog!)

Anyway, it's nearly 2pm, I'm at work, haven't taken anything today, but if I don't I will be on the floor crying. Long enough with the pain, I'm taking the pill!

Hugzz
    Greenbean
  4. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

Even though he's noticably decrepid, his pain may not be as bad. One of the things that causes our pain, is a skewed perception to pain. We seem to have a pain amplification problem where we produce at least 3 times the substance P a normal person does. So even though he may be injured, inflamed and in pain, he doesn't have this pain signal hormone raging through his body and skewing his pain signals and cranking the volume on them, as it were.

He also doesn't have abnormal levels of lactic acid burning away at his muscles and neurons like we do, and his body has a normal breakdown process for neutralizing it, we don't again.

And thirdly, how long has he had injuries? Has it been years and years? Decades, like so many of us? Do you really think he can take it that long on aspirin? Highly doubtful. The nice thing about injuries, no matter how acutely painful, is they heal. We can't seem to heal.

Jeanne
  5. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

I hadn't thought about how we perceive pain. I seem to perceive his as worse than mine because I don't vocalize mine. Who wants to hear me whine everyday!!

I'm not refilling the Fiorinal. Between filling that and the Vicidin I take I feel like I am on the road to having my doc tell me "too much". He is a great doc, but he still has to be careful, too.

So, if my DH needs something more than aspirin for pain he will have to go see the doc himself. His back was injured years ago and he has aggravated it over the years by working construction and farming. If he can stand the pain to work with it, he doesn't need my meds!

Hugzz
    Greenbean
  6. starmom

starmom New Member

I educated myself about chronic pain and narcotics, because I felt guilty. Then, after learning that people with chronic pain have a very low risk of addiction, I will NOT feel guilty. I tend to feel guilty when I don't take my meds b/c then I can't do things with my kids.

I do not feel guilty when I take my darvocet or my lortab. I just wish I had stronger meds to take care of more of the pain so I oculd function better.

I do not feel guilty when I take imitrex to get rid of my migraines. I do not feel guilty when I take prozac for my depression

I do tend to take stock of what I am taking, how much, and how often. About every 6 months or so. This way I know if my meds are right, if I need to tweak them, and if an addiction problem arises I will have some idea.

I take stock by talking with my hubby about any mood changes or behavior changes. I go through receipts to check if I have needed more meds.

I don't ever get a "high" feeling, but I do get a relief from my pain. Sometimes.

I try to keep a journal on my computer about any new/strong/strange symptoms. Including any that my family tells me about.

Having been known as the "Poster Child for PMS" before my hysterectomy, I take mood swings very seriously. I am not bipolar, but I have unipolar depression that can become very severe.

Beating myself up for being in pain doesn't help. I do vocalize pain to my hubby and family. Otherwise they won't know that I am not doing things b/c pain. One of my kids takes it personally if I can't do things, so if he knows I am in pain it doesn't hurt his feelings.

Try to avoid the guilt. Talking to a therapist or support group can be very helpful with this.

Hugs,

Susie