More Pain with Colds??????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sfrazier, Oct 9, 2006.

1. sfrazier

sfrazier New Member

I'm wondering if anyone else is this way. When I get sick either colds or whatever it seems to go straight to my muscles and joints so that I am in so much more pain then normal. If other people are like this what do you do for it. I have a hard enough time standing in a shower on a good day and baths are completely out of my realm and the pain killers i have now i can eat like candy. Unfortunetly the other drugs I'm on stop me from taking most over the counter things too like advil, tylenol and just about all cold medicines. I really hope someone can help me on this since right now I have a cold and am really suffering. Thanks.......SueF
    [This Message was Edited on 10/09/2006]
  2. sfrazier

sfrazier New Member

B for Bump
  3. mimosa1949

mimosa1949 New Member

A cold, rain or just a change in the barometric pressure seems to triple fold the discomfort. Old wive's tales are true. The whole body seams to ache. The addition of a cold appears to amplify the everyday discomforts. Having 'whole body pain', the addition of a barometric pressure change usually puts me into bed. I also have chronic sinusitus for which I take loratadine and nasonex inhaler. Usually, the best thing to do is stay in bed and try to avoid people because I find that the additional discomfort adds to the depression. But I know that staying in bed is frustrating when you have things you want to do. I usually just ride it out until it breaks; but then again that may be easy for me to say since I have not been able to work in 15 months.
  4. sfrazier

sfrazier New Member

prickles & mimosa1949 thanks for the tips but no sinus drip here. Sore throat yeah but no nose problems. Seems it has just soaked into every muscle i have right now. Pain killers don't work and just about evey over the counter med is off limits too me. mimosa1949 i wish i could just crawl into a corner or my bed and sit it out. While I don't have to work I do have to teenage daughters that while they don't need a lot of help from dear old mom they do need supervision. lol. You know prickles i don't even know if we have a spicy dark beer here. I'm not a big drinker of beer so not real sure about that one. I might have to check that out next time i'm at the store though. Once again thanks for the tips.......SueF

5. minkanyrose

minkanyrose New Member

nothing works for me except the good ole chicken broth not soup just the broth.

Don't know what it is but chicken and turkey have something in them that make you sleep and the warm broth clears stuffy ness my kids get so mad because I tell them get the chicken broth out and drown that bug . But later they admit it helped tremendously.

hope this works for you.
  6. snooker11

snooker11 New Member

hell yes. FM symptoms definitely worsen with colds or flu or any other illness.
  7. sfrazier

sfrazier New Member

Prickles thanks for the info about ginger beer I had never heard of it before and will really have to look for it next time.

Snooker 11 thanks for your comment. At least now I know what I have to look forward to this winter with my two teenage girls and all the crap that goes around the schools that they will bring home. lol.

I actually ended up going to my pharmisist and asking them since they are aware of everything I take and what I can't take. They pointed me in the direction of the over the counter drug Mucinex. It worked really great on all the kids and on me. I got the MucinexDM because my youngest had a really bad chest cold that made her throat hurt even worse. After 3 pills she was ready to go back to school. She looked and sounded better. The great part about these pills are you only have to take them every twelve hours. They are a little expensive but worth the cost.
  8. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

Yes, any sort of virus goes straight to my muscles & joints. I have a mild cold now & the pain in my forearms is unbelievable. I try to keep warm & use heat pads, especially those air activated ones in the daytime (they're called Cura Heat over here) that stick to your clothes - the warmth lasts 12 hours.