more permanent damage from over working?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by clueless, Jun 20, 2003.

1. clueless

clueless New Member

I am 75 yrs. old but love my flower beds. Is there permanent damage from over working my body from digging etc.? I get to the point where I can hardly move but go back at it the next day. It is my one vice (you might call it ) because I can`t seem to stop at this time of the year.Digging + planting new clematis vines etc. It is hard ,heavy work.Am I causing long term problems for myself?
  2. Susan07

Susan07 New Member

I wouldn't think it would be permanent damage. I have worked for years with FM and at times 80 hours a week. I did think I was going to die from it but somehow I just pushed on. I do feel better now that I work a 40 hour week and don't grocery shop. I have to save everything I've got to work. So my 5-6 years of 80 hrs did not cause permanent damage. Even with a 40 hour week I can still go in to a flare.

I'm sure you get more out of your flower beds than if you didn't do them. Outside, fresh air, movement and the big plus of all the beauty you'll see.

Take care and maybe get in to a warm bath when you're done to ease those muscles you're using.
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

You and I have those flower beds in common! I love the garden, and gardening.

Planting Clematis is hard work, I have done that, but what I did learn was to rest inbetween those tasks.

If you do some digging deep one day, then take the next day off, or just do something light like planting the annuals.

You won't do permanent damage, unless you do so much that you hurt your back in some serious way. But you need to work, and learn how to pace your activities so as not to exaust yourself.

Try stopping BEFORE you are tired. There is always tomorrow.

This year I did more gardening than I have done in many years with this FM. But I did stop before I was too tired. I would go inside and have a cup of tea, lay down and watch a tv show for an hour or do some reading.

I bought a couple of hundred dollars worth of plants at one time, I also bought a childs molded swimming pool.

I put a couple of inches of water in it and put the plants in this so they would not die in case I went into a flare and could not water them.

This way I could plant them when I felt good without worrying about them dieing on me. It worked out fine. I did get them all planted, did not lose any of them.

I also leave the big stuff for my son (he does the grass cutting for me), he planted all the large plants, like Jasmine, lillies, rose bushes etc. That way I did not hurt myself.

Do be careful, and do not hurt yourself, pace your energy you will get more done in the longrun. Sort of like the 'Turtle and the Hare'!

The best therapy in the world for me is planting, and reading.

Heres wishing all your plants bloom beautifully for you!

Shalom, Shirl
  4. Jen F

Jen F New Member

It is easy to get carried away with things we enjoy...we dont' notice our pain or our growing fatigue as much, or sometimes we even stubbornly ignore them.

For me, I have to stop myself sometimes from an activity that I enjoy otherwise I will pay for it later.

I can't speak for you and your body, but perhaps it might be a good idea to pace yourself and take some breaks.

On the other hand, it's great that you are working on something you love that is productive -- that's got to be good for you in a lot of ways. And there is something to be said for stubborness and not giving in to the pain and fatigue!

I hope you are taking time to eat really healthy meals and drinking plenty of water and protecting yourself somewhat from the sun and mosquitos!

[ advertisement ]