More Questions

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dhcpolwnk, Oct 21, 2002.

1. dhcpolwnk

dhcpolwnk New Member

I feel like a real nuisance, asking questions that may seem only vaguely related to fibromyalgia, if at all, but I'm not sure where else to go.

In addition to rather significant pain in my right thumb that has been bothering me since Sunday (and hasn't responded very well to the Tylenol, Fioricet or tri-buffered aspirin I've tried for pain relief), I got very cold around 6 pm today and had to lie down and be covered by an afghan, though it was 74 degrees in the house. My hubby took my temperature, and it was 96 degrees! My usual temperature is on the low side, but it was 96.5 when I saw my primary care doc last Monday (which I thought was a fluke), and today it was 96. I'm not sure what to make of this. My doctor called me back after I left a message about the fact that my thyroid tests came back normal (I wanted to share what I've learned on this board about the fact that normal thyroid tests don't necessarily mean no thyroid problem where people with fibro are concerned. I also mentioned my thumb when I left my message for him.

Well, my doc was very nice and seemed concerned about the thumb, but didn't think fibro could be the cause, nor did he seem concerned about the thyroid test result. (I may follow up on that with him later.)

But it turned out he also was calling because I had an abnormal liver test. I do take generic Tylenol for pain--and have been for years, since NSAIDs are likely to worsen my acid reflux symptoms. However, I don't usually take all that much--at most 4 g a day (8 500-mg tablets), which two docs have told me is safe. More typically, I tak 1-3 g over the course of a day--and not every day.

My questions are as follows:

1. Is an abnormal liver test (I believe it was for liver enzymes in the blood) compatible with fibromyalgia?

2. Is a body temperature as low as 96 degrees symptomatic of fibromyalgia and/or hypothyroidism?

I know there was another thread on this board asking whether people had normal temps below 98.6. But this is different. For years, my normal body temp has been between 97.2 and 97.6--never 96 or 96.5. I'm a little concerned because these low temps were taken a week apart; so it doesn't appear to be a temporary fluke.

I really would appreciate any information or insights you may have to offer.

Thanks yet again for your help in educating me.

And now, I must be going, as it's difficult to type without using my thumb!

--Laura R.M.
  2. dhcpolwnk

dhcpolwnk New Member

I feel like a real nuisance, asking questions that may seem only vaguely related to fibromyalgia, if at all, but I'm not sure where else to go.

In addition to rather significant pain in my right thumb that has been bothering me since Sunday (and hasn't responded very well to the Tylenol, Fioricet or tri-buffered aspirin I've tried for pain relief), I got very cold around 6 pm today and had to lie down and be covered by an afghan, though it was 74 degrees in the house. My hubby took my temperature, and it was 96 degrees! My usual temperature is on the low side, but it was 96.5 when I saw my primary care doc last Monday (which I thought was a fluke), and today it was 96. I'm not sure what to make of this. My doctor called me back after I left a message about the fact that my thyroid tests came back normal (I wanted to share what I've learned on this board about the fact that normal thyroid tests don't necessarily mean no thyroid problem where people with fibro are concerned. I also mentioned my thumb when I left my message for him.

Well, my doc was very nice and seemed concerned about the thumb, but didn't think fibro could be the cause, nor did he seem concerned about the thyroid test result. (I may follow up on that with him later.)

But it turned out he also was calling because I had an abnormal liver test. I do take generic Tylenol for pain--and have been for years, since NSAIDs are likely to worsen my acid reflux symptoms. However, I don't usually take all that much--at most 4 g a day (8 500-mg tablets), which two docs have told me is safe. More typically, I tak 1-3 g over the course of a day--and not every day.

My questions are as follows:

1. Is an abnormal liver test (I believe it was for liver enzymes in the blood) compatible with fibromyalgia?

2. Is a body temperature as low as 96 degrees symptomatic of fibromyalgia and/or hypothyroidism?

I know there was another thread on this board asking whether people had normal temps below 98.6. But this is different. For years, my normal body temp has been between 97.2 and 97.6--never 96 or 96.5. I'm a little concerned because these low temps were taken a week apart; so it doesn't appear to be a temporary fluke.

I really would appreciate any information or insights you may have to offer.

Thanks yet again for your help in educating me.

And now, I must be going, as it's difficult to type without using my thumb!

--Laura R.M.