more reasons to take bromelain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by judywhit, Aug 27, 2003.

1. judywhit

judywhit New Member

Bromelain

Bromelain is a digestive enzyme found in the stem and fruit of the pineapple plant (Ananas comosus). It is best known as a digestive aid and for its anti-inflammatory effects in traumatic injuries and after surgery. Bromelain has also been used successfully to treat a number of disorders, including heart disease, arthritis, upper respiratory tract infection, and Peyronie's disease (a condition that affects the genito-urinary tract and can cause sexual dysfunction in men). Bromelain has also been used successfully to heal wounds caused by burns and to increase the actions of antibiotics and chemotherapy drugs.

Uses

Reduces pain, bruising, and swelling from trauma (for example, sports injuries) or surgery and speeds the healing process
    Relieves the symptoms of gastrointestinal upset, aids in the healing of gastric ulcers, and is used as a digestive enzyme for pancreatic insufficiency
    Relieves the symptoms of angina, and because it inhibits clot formation and breaks down build-up of plaque in arteries, it is useful for thrombosis, thrombophlebitis, varicose veins, and atherosclerosis.
    Reduces joint inflammation in rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, sciatica, bursitis, tendinitis, and scleroderma
    Increases the actions of chemotherapy drugs and antibiotics
    Is useful in AIDS treatment as an antiviral agent
    Suppresses cough and decreases bronchial secretions, resulting in increased lung function in patients with upper respiratory tract infections. It is also effective in patients with sinusitis.
    Can prevent the thickening of the fibrous connective tissue in the penis associated with Peyronie's disease
    Used for healing burns
    Several studies suggest use as antimetastatic agent with chemotherapy.

Dietary Sources

Bromelain is one of the simple digestive enzymes extracted from tropical fruit, in this case pineapple.

Other Forms

Bromelain is available in tablet (500 mg) or capsule form for oral use.

How to Take It

For use as a digestive aid, 500 mg with meals is the recommended dosage. For other uses, the following dosages are recommended.

Traumatic injuries—500 mg four times a day on an empty stomach
    Cardiovascular disease—500 to 750 mg three times a day on an empty stomach
    Joint inflammation—500 to 2,000 mg a day in two doses
    Antitumor activity—1,000 mg a day

For all other uses, consult your health care provider. You should take bromelain for only 8 to 10 days, but it may be tolerated for longer periods.

Precautions

Bromelain may cause nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and excessive menstrual bleeding, but no serious side effects have been reported in humans; however, allergic reactions, including skin reactions and asthma, may occur if you are allergic to pineapples. Experiments in animals have not shown bromelain to cause cancer or birth defects, but there have not been any studies concerning use of bromelain in pregnancy. Check with your health care provider if you have a blood-clotting disorder, liver or kidney disease, or hypertension.

Possible Interactions

No harmful drug interactions have been reported.

Supporting Research

Bromelain. Alternative Medicine Review. August 1998;3:302–305.

Desser L, Rehberger A, Kokron E, Paukovits W. Cytokine synthesis in human peripheral blood mononuclear cells after oral administration of polyenzyme preparations. Oncology. 1993;50:403–407.

Haas EM. Staying Healthy with Nutrition: The Complete Guide to Diet and Nutritional Medicine. Berkeley, Calif: Celestial Arts; 1992:257–258.

Harborne J, Baxter H, eds. Phytochemical Dictionary: A Handbook of Bioactive Compounds from Plants. London, England: Taylor & Francis; 1993:376.

Masson M. Bromelain in blunt injuries of the locomotor system. A study of observed applications in general practice. Fortschr Med. 1995;113:303–306.

Murray MT. Encyclopedia of Nutritional Supplements: The Essential Guide for Improving Your Health Naturally. Rocklin, Calif: Prima Publishing; 1996:429.

Murray MT, Pizzorno JE. Encyclopedia of Natural Medicine. 2nd ed. Rocklin, Calif: Prima Publishing; 1998:208,297–298,568,807,829–830.

Reynolds JEF, ed. Martindale: The Extra Pharmacopoeia. 31st ed. London, England: Royal Pharmaceutical Society; 1996:1681.

Taussig SJ, Batkin S. Bromelain, the enzyme complex of pineapple (Ananas comosus) and its clinical application. An update. J Ethnopharmacol. 1998;22:191–203.

Uhlig G, Seifert J. The effect of proteolytic enzymes (traumanase) on posttraumatic edema. Fortschr Med. 1981;99:554–556.

Walker JA, Cerny FJ, Cotter JR, Burton HW. Attentuation of contraction-induced skeletal muscle injury by bromelain. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 1992;24:20–25.

Werbach MR. Nutritional Influences on Illness: A Sourcebook of Clinical Research. New Canaan, Conn: Keats Publishing; 1987:64–65,268–269,386.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  2. tansy

tansy New Member

This is a very useful supp for most of us. My GP told me to take aspiirn but I can't due to allergy but assured her that this would do the job. I copied and pasted some info. She was delighted, gives her an option for other patients, prior to that she was ok with my using it because she felt it would at least do no harm.

Love

tansy
  3. pixipip

pixipip New Member

I'd never heard of it till now.

Tansy do you get yours on prescription or do you pay for it yourself?

Love & Light,
    Jacqui.
  4. keeponsmiling

keeponsmiling New Member

What's with the 8 - 10 days thing????

Cheryll
  5. tansy

tansy New Member

it's far too safe for that. Mad isn't it, doctors have been told they cannot prescribe a whole range of supps and drugs on the NHS for us, even though they can often be the safer and more effective treatment. I bought mine from Holland and Barrett.

A lot of us seem to be finding this works, the more of us that try it out the better. It's cheaper than a lot of the sophisticated enzyme products but if it works as well that would be good for us all, less cost and less ingredients to react to.

cheers

tansy
    [This Message was Edited on 08/28/2003]
  6. tansy

tansy New Member

it is a bit cheaper. A little while back there were half price which was great so I got to try it out whilst it cost less.

The tabs are 500mgm 600 GDUs, come in bottles of 60 and cost either £8.99 or £9.99 can't remember take so many supps and cannot find the receipt. Their chewable version was on special offer this week, but I wasn't at all sure about using that. Their chewable papaya is on offer too. They're not small; approx 1cm diameter, and over .5cm, deep. Never had to measure a tab before. Years ago had to use all my supps etc in powder form or vary small tabs but now only choke occassionally.

Barb I hope that info helps

love

Tansy
  7. Eve612

Eve612 New Member

I'm taking Bromelain now, in place of aspirin & now I read that you are only supposed to take it for 8 to 10 days? Surely that must be wrong? Anyone?

Eve