More Shingles Questions

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Greenbean7, Mar 7, 2006.

1. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

Sorry to be such a pain, but this pain is just killing me!

I broke out a week ago yesterday. Today I feel sick again, fever, upset tummy, and I have yet another place that is tender. It is on the same side as the other two places, but further forward towards my tummy.

Is it possible I am going to have another outbreak in a different spot this long after the first one? I broke out last Monday in the first spot, noticed the second spot last Wednesday.

I hope not because I assume my 3 to 5 weeks is going to start over if I break out again!

This is the worst pain I have ever felt, including the multiple surgeries I've had. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hugzz
    Greenbean

Stop and smell the puppies!
  2. JLH

JLH New Member

I guess it would be possible that it is another outbreak of shingles.

My husband had singles at one time and was given a Medrol Dose Pak. That prednisone was the only thing that cleared them up once and for all. He started out on other meds.

Hope this helps.

Hugs,
    Janet
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Are you getting a good antiviral drug for this? Many docs prescribe Neurontin for the nerve pain of shingles.

I shared my ImmunPlex undenatured whey with my olderly neighbor who got the shingles and she got over them extremely fast. She was also on an AV.

I take the whey, colostrum, probiotics, and I pulse the transfer factors to keep my own immune system working better than it used to.

Good luck to you.

Love, Mikie
  4. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

I had a shot of cortizone in my spine last week and have another one scheduled for the 15th so they can't give me any more cortizone.

I couldn't find anything on the web about anything after the initial breakout.

I'm willing to take the nerve pain med and sleep til this is over, but it isn't very practical!

Thanks again.

Hugzz,
    Greenbean

5. tonakay

tonakay New Member

Every time I get any kind of steroid shot, being an epidural or cortizone etc.... I break out in shingles. Don't know why this is but thought I'd share it with you.
  6. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

I broke out two days before the injection in my back.

I had read somewhere that that could cause an outbreak, but mine was there before the shot. Wish it hadn't been, I could have had something to blame it on.

Hugzz
    Greenbean

7. tonakay

tonakay New Member

were you stressed about anything before the outbreak? If anything big time stressful happens to me I can bank on an outbreak in 1-5 days. My mother breaks out constantly too, how lucky we are.... grrrrrrrr

Hope you're doing better soon!
  8. suzetal

suzetal New Member

I take neuontrin on a regular basis .It did not help the pain.

What I did was with a cotton swab put alcohol on each saw ( hurt like heck) than used calamine lotion to dry them up.

It worked took about a week of doing this about 6 times a day.

I hope they never come back.My step daughter and grand daughter had cold sores .I babysit the baby 2 times a week .Cant keep from hugging and kissing her.

I was told that they are from the same herpes virus.So thats why I got it.They the sores ran across my upper back under my arm pits just to under my breast.On both sides they do follow a nerve.

Hope you get better soon
    Sue
  9. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

I really appreciate your help!

The place I thought was going to break out hasn't and I think it just hurts because it is fairly close to one of the places that did.

I have always had coldsores, although I call them sun sores because I usually get them in the summer if I get in the sun.

Stress? Oh, yeah! I was worried about the epidural shot for my back, Mom's got dementia and is going down hill really fast, my job, although I love it, is quite stressful and my 21 year old daughter lost her job and I worry about her constantly!

So yeah, there could be a little stress in my life!!

Thanks again for caring so much. You guys make a big difference in the trials of living with this dx and everything else I seem to go through!

Hugzz,
    Greenbean

10. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

i had shingles last yar on my hiney...attacked the sciatica and boy did that cause me some pain down there and wrapped around to the front of my ou now what...it let me know i was alive....

went into legs and feet....i had the burning pain for quite some time...it would lessen on and off...w/o the blisters...but i also have bad bac problems...so when i got shingles i thought it was the fibro and dd disease and the bulging discs down there...the later that night i saw the blisters on my bum... next day i called the dr's they said if it isn't gone in three days come in..that was stupid and that ticks me off to this day....i should have gone into e.r. or urgent care to get started on the antiviral...i did get the anti-viral i think it was called zoverex and then they gave me some diluad for the pain...lyrica was not fda approved yet...

that stayed with me for quite some time...some people have problems with it forever off and on...

i would certainly would calle the dr's office and tell them your symptoms....because who knows if you will be able to stay at work...if this keeps up.....

i had shingles in feb.05 then pnuemeonia in march 05...my immune system was really compromised..plus i have no spleen taken out because of my hereditary blood disease called sphereocytosis....so when i get ill it is difficult for me to fight it off...then throught the fibro/cfs in to the mix..

i think i have heard that people will take tagament for shingles...

good luck and oh i have a road map on my belly of surgeries i do not believe surgical scars has anything to do with the pain...i think it is plain old the shingles....
    jodie