More Teeth Problems; TrP Info Needed

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dhcpolwnk, Nov 24, 2002.

1. dhcpolwnk

dhcpolwnk New Member

I'm having teeth problems again and may be forced to consider a root canal job after all. This has been a possibility twice before, but the pain seemed to go away after treatment with antibiotic. I have come to suspect fibro or CMP trigger points, but if the pain is from trigger points, I'm not sure which ones or what to do to ease the pain if it *is* a TrP problem. The pain is in my lower right molars and seems for have settled mostly into tooth #31, the second to last molar. The weird thing is that although sometimes the tooth hurts on the top (chewing) surface, sometimes it seems that the pain is mostly in the upper ridges around the outside of the top of the tooth (the hills surrounding the valley of the tooth surface). I don't know whether that makes any sense. Maybe that rules out TrP-related pain. I just know that so far, the X-rays don't show a problem in the tooth itself, either.

I'd really appreciate hearing from anybody to whom this kind of pain seems familiar and/or who has any suggestions or wisdom to impart.

Thanks.

--Laura R.M.

P.S. I already have the Starlanyl book and have checked out her web site, but I'm still confused.[This Message was Edited on 11/24/2002]
  2. dhcpolwnk

dhcpolwnk New Member

I'm having teeth problems again and may be forced to consider a root canal job after all. This has been a possibility twice before, but the pain seemed to go away after treatment with antibiotic. I have come to suspect fibro or CMP trigger points, but if the pain is from trigger points, I'm not sure which ones or what to do to ease the pain if it *is* a TrP problem. The pain is in my lower right molars and seems for have settled mostly into tooth #31, the second to last molar. The weird thing is that although sometimes the tooth hurts on the top (chewing) surface, sometimes it seems that the pain is mostly in the upper ridges around the outside of the top of the tooth (the hills surrounding the valley of the tooth surface). I don't know whether that makes any sense. Maybe that rules out TrP-related pain. I just know that so far, the X-rays don't show a problem in the tooth itself, either.

I'd really appreciate hearing from anybody to whom this kind of pain seems familiar and/or who has any suggestions or wisdom to impart.

Thanks.

--Laura R.M.

P.S. I already have the Starlanyl book and have checked out her web site, but I'm still confused.[This Message was Edited on 11/24/2002]
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Try tapping on the tooth and surrounding teeth. Sometimes if a tooth needs a root canal, it will be much more sensitive to being tapped. Also, when the nerve goes bad, a tooth will usually be sensitive not only to cold liquids, but also to hot liquids. Take a drink of hot tea or coffee and let it rest against the tooth in your mouth. If the tooth is sensitive, you probably need a root canal.

Love, Mikie
  4. dhcpolwnk

dhcpolwnk New Member

Wow!

After reading about the treatment for masseter TrPs, I'm not sure whether I should be hoping for a root canal or the TrP problem! Can't I just take some pain meds and go to bed for a year or so and hope that it's all blown over when I wake up?

Oh, wait! That's right. My sleeping position may be one of the things that *causing* this ridiculous pain! <<<Scream!!!!>>>

Seriously, though, thanks for the information. I don't like the implications, but the information still may be helpful.

--Laura R.M.

5. selmad

selmad New Member

I originally thought all of my problems in the beginning (TMJ,head and neck pain--later diagnosed wih FMS) were caused by a tooth-- The tooth showed no infection on the xray.-- got several opinions-- one Dr. was going to do a root canal!----

The trigger point theory above seems plausible..

Don't get an dental work done until you read Dr. Hansen's book and get information from his office. I recently went to a traditional dentist and my crown re-triggered some Fibro symptoms after I had been in remission.Folks with FMS are very sensitive and I believe chemically sensitive. The materials they use in root canals are nasty and some believe the root canals are harmful to the body and that the infection persists and aggravates the body even after the root canal is completed -- crowns can be toxic as well-- and why grind your tooth down to a pulp setting it up later for root failure and the need for a toxic root canal? Dr. Hansen supposedly has better alternatives--but he is in California and it isn't cheap.......... I think in the long run though it will be worth it. I plan to eventually make it out there.... call and get the information 1-714-870-0310 If anyone else if familiar with Dr. Hansen's work and has seen him-- please write me and let me know at salabbas@us.ibm.com.
  6. lucky

lucky New Member

I have been going through the same problem with my teeth for the past weeks. When I had a dental appointment last week and X-Rays were taken, there was no indication of any infection. Although I periodically had some mild toothaches, this severe pain was relatively new to me.
    After days of the pain coming and going, I am sure that it is related to chronic sinus problems. If there are problems with the sinuses, my doctor ask if the teeth hurt as well, and mostly they do which indicates that in many cases the sinuses might be at fault for these toothaches. May be it is worthwhile looking into it before you undergo expensive dental treatments. Good luck to you, Lucky

7. selma

selma New Member

I felt around my jaw and hurts.I'm going to look up the book. Thank-you. Love, Selma
  8. clueless

clueless New Member

I don`t know if this is anything that will help in any way but my dentist is familiar with fibro. and told me how to brush my teeth, saying that the soft tissues around the teeth are affected by the fibro. My fillings are so terribly tender but x-rays show no problem. I still have problems and also am not sure what to do. Certainly don`t want to have any extractions so use sensodyne tooth paste and am assuming it is the fibro that is causing the pain.I would be interested to find out what you decide to do
  9. dhcpolwnk

dhcpolwnk New Member

Dear Joellen,

I'm not sure whether I'm doing it right, but I tried to follow the "instructions" you quoted from the book on TrPs about working on trigger points in the masseter muscle.

At first, it seemed to make my jaw feel even more sore, but after a while, I noticed that my teeth didn't seem as sensitive as they had been. In fact, I've even been able bite down on the right side (if I'm careful) without going through the roof.

However, I've also been on antibiotics, and I've been taking extra-strength Tylenol to help dull the pain. At night, I also take 200 mg of Neurontin (for fibro) and wear an NTI device over my upper front teeth (for TMJ problems). The NTI device keeps my molars from even touching; so I can't grind my teeth. The odd thing, though, is that I had been waking up with the lower right molars achy and sensitive--as if I *had* been grinding them.

I've also been taking 100 mg of Neurontin in every morning, as part of my usual fibro Rx treatment. My point is that I can't be sure the TrP massage is working--especially since, as I said, I'm not really sure I'm doing it right or in the right place. The improvement I'm noticing could even be a placebo effect, but as I said, the massage sure *seems* to be making a difference.

Thanks for the "how to" information.

--Laura R.M.
  10. dlizard

dlizard New Member

some of my relentless what I thought to be tooth pain LOL> was actually trigeminal neuralgia.... look that up and see if that could be it..... of course bear in mind. there is no cure LOL>>> doesn't that sound familiar????? Good luck!
  11. rosella

rosella New Member

Hi, tooth pain can be very bad. I sympathise. The one thing that hasn't been mentioned is that your symptoms seemed to subside after antibiotics. That suggests to me that there is an infection in the canals. At the risk of starting a war of words (believe me, I do not want to), I think that a root canal is far less toxic than ignoring an infection, if that's what it is. In the beginning of infected canals, it will not show on an X-Ray. I am all for fixing something with the least invasive & most natural way, but sometimes that's unfortunately not able to be done. Good luck with your search.
  12. dhcpolwnk

dhcpolwnk New Member

Actually, the pain begain to subside before I took my first dose of antibiotic, which is why I started suspecting fibro. I'm not on my secord week of antibiotic, and it doesn't seem to do much for the pain by itself. Sometimes generic Tylenol and/or Neurontin seems to help, but the first few times I tried the massage, that also seemed to help. Unfortunately, nothing seems consistent. So I keep changing my mind about what's going on. I can tell you that after two weeks on antibiotics, though, the teeth still are sensitive to the touch--though not, it seems to temperature. Swabbing my gums and the tooth (and the inside part of my mouth that I think fronts the masseter muscle) with Cepacol throat spray also seems to provide alittle temporary relief, whatever that means.

I definitely plan to stay in touch with my dentist, as well as my doctors about this. I'm not ignoring either the dental or fibro possibilities. But thanks for writing. I appreciate your suggestions and comments.

--Laura R.M.

13. dhcpolwnk

dhcpolwnk New Member

Marla, thank you for your invitation. Please contact me directly at af752@lafn.org and/or post your contact information so that I know how to reach you if I can work out a time to take you up on your offer. Our telephone book is only for the west San Fernando Valley and therefore doesn't cover North Hollywood. Thanks.

--Laura R.M.

[ advertisement ]