More than one family member sick???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lilbird, Aug 19, 2005.

1. lilbird

lilbird New Member

I am starting to think that my daughter 24 and son 22 both may have CF/FMS.

They both are having cronic fatigue. Both have had strep or mono in the last year. My son has a thumb that the skin has been peeling on for months and my daughter has the same thing with her foot.

How many people have other family members that are sick?

thanks.
    Cathy
  2. Megumi

Megumi New Member

I was first diagnosed with lupus at 15, in the 60's. I consequently developed FM - I believe after a bout with mono when I was 21. My older sister wasn't diagnosed with lupus until the 80's, altho she is sure she had it long before. She also now has FM. We both also have a slew of other conditions like IBS, plus me-scoleosus (however you spell it), her-renauds. After her diagnosis we compared symptoms and came to the belief that our mother also had it when she was alive. Perhaps even our grandmother as several cousins have various automimmune conditions. Both of our daughters have FM, no signs of lupus yet. Her son has diabetes, possibly lupus. Like I said, we're a loaded family and have laughed for years over the theory that it is not genetic.
  3. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

Most of the research I've read is at least open to the fact that environmental and autoimmune diseases, even if they feel it is yet unproven.

My cat is as much a child as I may ever have, and 5 mths after i got him he came down w/ it. My sister has severe psoriasis, three different kinds, and psoratic arthritis. My aunt has been a chronic pain sufferer w/ depression and IBS since I can remember as a kid. My other aunt, her sister, has always been sensitive to many things, since sh'es in her 50's now, when she was a kid this was unheard of. So she was always seen as just a whiner, now that I've become so sick and the other aunt, family members are finally considering that maybe she wasn't just whining.

It was somewher over 5 yrs ago, I was getting blood drawn at Cheo Hospital. I was oversensitive that day and apologized for seeming to overreact because I had fibromyalgia and sometimes the least little ping hurt. The nurse was immediately sympathetic and totally understanding and asked if I'd had the blood test to see if I had the fibro gene. Yes, she told me back then they had a test for it. That was my first clue it was at least genetic.

Jeanne

4. Megumi

Megumi New Member

Jeane, you mentioned being tested for a fibro gene. I've not heard of that before. Is there really one?

Megumi
  5. spydergrl80

spydergrl80 New Member

My mother had fibro and cfs. I was diagnosed shortly after she was....I also think mine was triggered by a particularly unplesant bout of mono. I have an uncle and several aunts who are pretty sure they have fibro, but have not been diagnosed.
  6. JLH

JLH New Member

My family has a lot of the problems that take you to a rheumy .....

mother - arthritis, osteoporosis, degenerating disk disease

brothers - arthritis

sister - fibro, cfs, rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis -- so bad that she has had 2 total knee replacements

oldest daughter - arthritis, signs of fibro or cfs

Janet
  7. Jeanne-in-Canada

The nurse (or phlebologist) just told me there was a test. I always remembered it, but didn't follow up. Maybe I asked a doc and they told me it wasn't covered and was outragiously expensive? Can't remember for sure.

Jeanne
  8. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Immediate family had any problems related to constant pain, or any of the other symptoms I have.

But a generation back, my grandfather and both his sons (uncles) all had undiagnosed pain. Doctors could not find what was wrong with them, other than they were in serious pain.

All three of my children are fine, so are both my grandchildren.

I sure hope if it is in the genes, it skips a couple of more generations again!

Shalom, Shirl
    [This Message was Edited on 08/19/2005]
  9. CFIDSNicole

CFIDSNicole New Member

I'm the lone paragon of ill health in my family . . . which makes the others pretty sick of me being sick, as I am sure you can understand.

Nicole
  10. Jeanne-in-Canada

I'm guessing starting w/ you, since you said your symptoms were slow onset (as were mine).

If you were the first, when and how did the symptoms in your other family, incl. dog, crop up?

Jeanne
  11. steve69h

steve69h New Member

My mother had fibro as well as my grandmother and now I have it and my younger sister has it and the youngest sister has not yet but she now believes she has fibro. Also my mothers sister both of them has it and two of my mother brother has fibro and one of them also had MS so I think we just got the wrong end of that stick. Steve
  12. Megumi

Megumi New Member

13. Bruin63

Bruin63 Member

There are 6 of us, and we all have other condition's, but we all share having FMS.
    My Mother I am sure had it as well as my Grandmother, because of the same Symptoms, they had, but, they were never dx'd.
    I do think there is a connection, but where, is the main ?
    As some folk's have FMS but no one else in there family does.

Been reading Boards for 5 years now, and that is still a Mystery Question. :0]
  14. rileyearl

rileyearl New Member

My mother and grandmother have/had fibro, although my grandmother was never diagnosed. I think I must have started in after a bout of mono at 15, but was undiagnosed until now--age 52.

My brother has hepatitis C and has symptoms of fibro--pain, depression and can't sleep.

Not sure about my husband, he has flu-like symptoms regularly. He also has ADD and takes adderal, which might coverup fatigue. This really makes me think about him. I've been so impatient with him feeling sick and going to bed for days at a time. Hmmmm....

I pray my 4yo son doesn't get it or have it.

Interesting topic and responses. Thanks!

Francie
  15. LISALOO

LISALOO New Member

I'm the notoriously sick one in the family. My sister and both parents get a cold once a year at the worse. I have interstitial cystitis and CFS. That this runs in families scared me because I have always wanted children but do not want to put them through this.
    [This Message was Edited on 08/21/2005]
  16. CAAnnieB

CAAnnieB New Member

My sister, who is 3 years older than I, was diagnosed first with FM during a stressful period of her life. (In her 30's) She gave me informational pamphlets on Fibro & I was shocked to see how many symptoms I had MYSELF! At the time,I was trying to recover from a severe cervical/ neck strain.

Well, I finally ended up going to the Dr. who had diagnosed my sis & he told me I also had FM. It's been about 12 years since the beginning of my severe symptoms.

Now my hubby is exhibiting many of the same symptoms as me! He's been feeling crummy for years. I swear he has this DD too. He thinks he probably does, but doesn't want to be diagnosed or treated! He is very stubborn re: seeking health care.

I have often wondered if somehow I "gave" him this FM. Or maybe it runs in his family & we just coincidentally ended up together! We are in our late 40's & we sound like a very elderly couple!...Moaning & groaning about our aches, pains & lack of good sleep!

I sure hope we haven't passed on the FM gene to our son. He already has enough to deal with...He has Asperger's, which is a high functioning form of Autism.

Blessings,
    Annie B
  17. sandi24

sandi24 New Member

I was first one ill, I was diagnosed in '98 but had suffered with it since '84, my sister was then diagnosed in about 2002 ish and my mother shortly thereafter.

I hope my kids and grandchildren don't get this DD :(
  18. Bambi

Bambi New Member

unrelated pain. My mom's sister was always in pain and my dad had the Plantars warts (lately being noticed in FM patients more often) and pain always. I've had symtoms since I was
    at least 5 but severe last 8 years. My daughter has had symptoms for at least 5 years (I say since she was little and had "growing pains") and dignosed with FM about 3 years ago. My husband has conditions that cause pain but he has pain in nearly all 18
    tender points too and is suffering a lot. He's been on the same meds I have so is going to be cut off too by
    the new insurance. How he will work
    I just don't know!
  19. NifferA

NifferA New Member

I have FM/CFS as does my 17 year old daughter. I have a first cousin who also has FM, and her mother was recently diagnosed as well. This seems to run on my father's side. I suspect his mother also had it and she died of a bowel obstruction in the early 70s. My father also has problems with insomnia, and anxiety but no pain issues. My brother has the same anxiety problems. So far my sister has not shown symptoms, she is 44 and I am 42. My mother has mild arthritis.
  20. Tawra

Tawra New Member

We have never been well since except for me when I went into a remission for 1 year in late 1989-early 1990. After that I had both CFS and FM. My mom and brother only have CFS.

The exchange students that were living with us didn't get sick.

We have a cousin that had it but hadn't seen her in 20 years.

I am convinced that it is a genetic defect that a virus will "set off".

I am wondering if my 6 yr. old daughter has it. We are going to do a sleep test on her to see if it's apnea. If it turns out negative I am positive that she has FM.

Tawra